Dinarid
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Massive abuse of anabolic steroids decreases IGFBP-3

Growth hormone induced increase in serum IGFBP-3 level is reversed by anabolic steroids in substance abusing power athletes
    Tuomo Karila, Hannu Koistinen, Markku Seppälä, Riitta Koistinen & Timo Seppälä
    OBJECTIVE

Body builders may use growth hormone (GH) and anabolic steroids to increase fitness and muscle mass. GH increases serum concentrations of IGF-I and IGFBP-3. The combined effects of GH and anabolic androgenic steroids on IGFBP-3 and IGF-I levels are not known under authentic substance-abusing conditions. The aim of this study was to investigate this in substance-abusing power athletes.

DESIGN AND PATIENTS

Nine healthy, non-obese and non-competing male power athletes, all aggressive substance abusers, used GH and/or anabolic steroids independently of this study. Blood samples were taken both during and between the drug intake. Sixteen substance non-abusing wrestlers served as controls.

MEASUREMENTS

Serum IGF-I concentration was measured by radioimmunoassay and the IGFBP-3 concentration was measured by two immunofluorometric assays, one detecting proteolytic fragments of IGFBP-3. The capacity of serum to proteolytically cleave IGFBP-3 was studied by the proteolysis assay.

RESULTS

While growth hormone increased the IGFBP-3 and IGF-I concentrations, anabolic steroids decreased the same. Concomitant use of growth hormone and anabolic steroids decreased the IGFBP-3 concentration in five out of six abuse periods in spite of the fact that the IGF-I concentration remained elevated in four of them. However, in two men who were on low calorie diet both the IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentrations decreased during combined GH/anabolic steroid abuse. No proteolytic fragmentation of IGFBP-3 was observed.

CONCLUSION

Massive abuse of anabolic steroids decreases both the basal and GH-stimulated IGFBP-3 concentrations, whereas its effects on serum IGF-I concentration are variable and affected by low calorie diet. This study demonstrates that detection of GH doping by measuring the IGF-I and/or IGFBP-3 levels has notable confounding factors.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 @ 09:12 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    monolingualism
    Religion
    Protestant to the core
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Massive abuse of anabolic steroids decreases IGFBP-3

Quote Originally Posted by Euclides
    Growth hormone induced increase in serum IGFBP-3 level is reversed by anabolic steroids in substance abusing power athletes
    Tuomo Karila, Hannu Koistinen, Markku Seppälä, Riitta Koistinen & Timo Seppälä
    OBJECTIVE

Body builders may use growth hormone (GH) and anabolic steroids to increase fitness and muscle mass. GH increases serum concentrations of IGF-I and IGFBP-3. The combined effects of GH and anabolic androgenic steroids on IGFBP-3 and IGF-I levels are not known under authentic substance-abusing conditions. The aim of this study was to investigate this in substance-abusing power athletes.

DESIGN AND PATIENTS

Nine healthy, non-obese and non-competing male power athletes, all aggressive substance abusers, used GH and/or anabolic steroids independently of this study. Blood samples were taken both during and between the drug intake. Sixteen substance non-abusing wrestlers served as controls.

MEASUREMENTS

Serum IGF-I concentration was measured by radioimmunoassay and the IGFBP-3 concentration was measured by two immunofluorometric assays, one detecting proteolytic fragments of IGFBP-3. The capacity of serum to proteolytically cleave IGFBP-3 was studied by the proteolysis assay.

RESULTS

While growth hormone increased the IGFBP-3 and IGF-I concentrations, anabolic steroids decreased the same. Concomitant use of growth hormone and anabolic steroids decreased the IGFBP-3 concentration in five out of six abuse periods in spite of the fact that the IGF-I concentration remained elevated in four of them. However, in two men who were on low calorie diet both the IGF-I and IGFBP-3 concentrations decreased during combined GH/anabolic steroid abuse. No proteolytic fragmentation of IGFBP-3 was observed.

CONCLUSION

Massive abuse of anabolic steroids decreases both the basal and GH-stimulated IGFBP-3 concentrations, whereas its effects on serum IGF-I concentration are variable and affected by low calorie diet. This study demonstrates that detection of GH doping by measuring the IGF-I and/or IGFBP-3 levels has notable confounding factors.
    Are you user of stuff?

Last Online
    Saturday, April 28th, 2018 @ 05:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Katarinensische
    Subrace
    Dinarid
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in