View Poll Results: Modern Art - just a load of crap?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely yes!

45 68.18%
  • Absolutely no!

2 3.03%
  • Not generally, but sometimes.

13 19.70%
  • You can't compare "old" art with modern art

6 9.09%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Modern Art - Just a Load of Crap?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 04:53 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Modern Art - Just a Load of Crap?

What do you all think about modern art?

Is it really deserving of the title of art? Compare e.g. this with something by e.g. Friedrich, they aren't in the same league!

Lets face it, post modern art isn't worth the canvas it is dribbled on. Or what?

Last Online
    Friday, September 12th, 2008 @ 06:56 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Occupation
    Accountant
    Politics
    White Supremacist
    Religion
    Learning Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this new art is much like a escape for the hopelessly lazy and multi-talent-incompetent, but who yet have the right friends..

Last Online
    Friday, August 1st, 2008 @ 02:11 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rúna
    What do you all think about modern art?

Is it really deserving of the title of art? Compare e.g. this with something by e.g. Friedrich, they aren't in the same league!

Lets face it, post modern art isn't worth the canvas it is dribbled on. Or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki
    this new art is much like a escape for the hopelessly lazy and multi-talent-incompetent, but who yet have the right friends..
    Very much true! Modern art is crap and for the strange bunch. It is apparent that art today has no tradition or traditional guidance or inspiration. It seems that modern art is the expression of some lost weirdo's feelings!
    And cannot forget to mention, its all politically correct/popular too!

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wink Modern "Art"

Like modern "poetry" it is just a cop-out for those who, lacking talent and self-discipline, want to be known as artists and/or poets. I've seen some early work by Jackson Pollock (aka "Jack the Dripper") and I can see from it exactly why he went to creating "art works" by dripping DUCO enamel out of cans onto cardboard. He COULD NOT DRAW ! :eek

Pablo Picasso, on the other hand, was a lazy but very talented artist who did some fine work early in his career (the so-called Blue Period" for example) but begrudged it the effort involved.

Seeing the trends in the art world of his time, he realized that by promulgating a crackpot theory (one of many at the time) that it was necessary to strike out in a new direction by showing all sides of an object or person in the same image,he could justify wildly distorted images, which , being mostly line drawings, were MUCH less laborious to create than the finely executed paintings he had created at first before he wised up.

The gibberish of the critics, often called "artspeak", sounds impressive but says nothing, much like the farfetched metaphors used in describing verbally the taste of a wine (which is impossible). E.g. "The artist has succeeded in
    melding the gestural elements of the painting into a kind of plastic dance."
    Eh ? Come again ?

Naturally, only a mere Philistine could fail to understand how this statement applies to the sublimity of an image of a single red dot in the midst of a vast overwhelming sea of white. eyes:

These alleged "art works" are PHONY and the preposterous rhetoric used to describe them is equally PHONY !

BTW, it has been said "Don't criticise what you can't do." Well, I paint, mostly landscapes and flowers in acrylics and casein. I know about perspective, proportion, values, color relationships, all of those things which need not be considered by the "Modern artist".

I know what I have in mind to do before I touch brush to canvas and strive to realise the image which I have in mind. How different the working method of a watercolorist who gave a demonstration to an Art Guild to which I once belonged. She threw some paint at the paper, let it run down and tried to decide if it reminded her of something. If it did, she made a half-hearted effort to make it look more like what it had suggested to her. eyes:

Art does not occur by accident. It comes to be through HARD WORK ! Poseurs can call any mess which they create on canvas or paper a work of art and can often find some equally untalented and unprincipled critic to praise it for them. BAH ! :

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 02:38 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am an artist myself...a popular thing for modern artists to do is to display a photo/slide of their subject on a screen or light-box and draw and color the subject from that. It is "cheating", in my eyes. Yet, they win multitudinous awards for this sort of rubbish. I would always rather see the artist's personal and unassisted "take" on the subject at hand.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 02:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I don't go for much modern art. I do like modern sculptures more than say, canvas paintings, though. In general, modern art is mostly crappy self -expression by talentless yokels with burning desires to be considered deep or abstract by "artmongers".

I do agree with Egil on his points about artspeak. Just hearing it makes me gag a bit. How smart of them to create an entire language of gibberish rhetoric to attempt to give substance to something that makes no sense!

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Modern art is a classic case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone can see it is totally self-indulgent, egotistical garbage, but no-one dares to state the obvious, for fear of being denounced as uneducated and ignorant.

This non-Art is an admission by the artist of his/her lack of talent. A true artist can paint, sculpt etc. an object that needs no lengthy explanation, it speaks for itself in its beauty, sadness, ugliness etc.

That is what makes true artists 'geniuses', the ability to convey deep emotion on a simple canvas, lump of clay etc.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    I remember visiting an Art atelier in secondary school, and we were being taught how abstract art is going, and that sometimes the easiest ideas were the most artistically valuable. To which I replied, "So if I paint a black x and a black y on a sheet of canvas and pretend that it is the ultimate expression of manlihood, I could end up multimillionaire if I know the right peoplem, you say?" The atelier owner was shocked at the comment and her jaw dropped; the teacher just gave me an evil look. So much about confronting people about the truth. ...

We visited a glass-painting atelier this summer with our family. The owner was pretty p*ssed off when I interpreted one of the abstract art of her husband differently and said, "It's all about perspective." She didn't like to be told the truth either.

Another anecdote from the archive is that a good friend of mine used to paint and draw a lot; so he knew a good few people who were very good at it, amongst them a young lady who went on to join an Art academy. When she attempted herself at a Realist painting she was told by her teacher, "If in Second year you still believe you are in art school to learn how to skilfully paint, then you're mistaken." Probably the only teacher frankly blunt enough to tell her the truth of modern "arty-fartiness", yet it helped her not to put enthusiasm in a lost cause.

So much about the idea of "art" these days. Picasso was pushing it with some of his paintings already, but his art still had feeling to it (and other works of his showed that he did have the talent to paint, just didn't find it most expressing). But when you get to "Jack the Dripper", recently sold for a record price, it could really have been created by a two-year old. In fact the Daily Mail had a competition featuring: An elephant, a 2 yr old, a 6 yr old, a guy doing decorations and someone else; try their hands at "million-selling art"...

I know this is going to have some of the art-lovers gasp for air, but that's my blunt opinion as an "uneducated".
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 @ 08:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo Saxon
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Politics
    red-brown-green
    Religion
    Pantheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ha. As I read though the posts, the term 'Emperor's New Clothes' did come to mind. Great minds eh?

Yeah it does seem that so-called modern artists not exactly 'push the envelope' of the talents but push the boundaries of 'how far they can get peddling this cr*p!' or rather how much money they can get out of gullible idiots for their amateurish filth.

It does frustrate me when I hear about some worthless piece of junk selling for thousands even millions of dollars yet there are hungry kids out there. :

Think Andy Warthog's picture of Mao Tse Tung sold for $127 MILLION... I mean WTF??? How many kids lifes could that have saved if it had been invested into hospitals and stuff? Oh well, a picture of a dead Chinaman is worth more than little childrens lifes. :O

Last Online
    Friday, September 12th, 2008 @ 06:56 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Occupation
    Accountant
    Politics
    White Supremacist
    Religion
    Learning Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://panaryan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68

A small collection of the filth portrayed as art!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast