View Poll Results: Modern Art - just a load of crap?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely yes!

40 67.80%
  • Absolutely no!

1 1.69%
  • Not generally, but sometimes.

13 22.03%
  • You can't compare "old" art with modern art

5 8.47%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Art - Just a Load of Crap?

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Egil Skallagrimsson
    No, It wasn't Himmler and it wasn't "postmodern". Though this quotation has been attributed to almost every major Nazi, It was a character in a play (sorry, I don't know which play.) who said it and it was said about the word "culture".
    "Whenever I hear the word 'culture' I reach for my revolver."
    • The actual quote is "Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning". Which translates as: "Whenever I hear [the word] 'culture'... I release the safety-catch of my Browning!"
    • This quote is often mistakenly attributed to leading Nazi Hermann Goering, or occasionally to Julius Streicher, a lower-ranking Nazi. This misattribution may date from the famous Frank Capra documentaries (Why We Fight) shown to American troops before shipping out.
    • In fact, it's a line uttered by the character Thiemann in Act 1, Scene 1 of the play Schlageter, written by Hanns Johst. The association with Nazism is appropriate, as the play was first performed in April 1933, in honor of Hitler's birthday.
    • Baldur von Schirach, head of the Hitlerjugend, delivered this sentence in a public speech, circa 1938. A footage of the scene, with von Schirach actually drawing his gun, appears in Frederic Rossif's documentary "from Nurnberg to Nurnberg".
    • Notes: It's possible that this is actually a rather more felicitous phrase in translation than it is in the original. Both the original German and this more elegant English translation were juxtaposed by Howard Thomas in his review of an article by Nicholas H Battey in the Journal of Experimental Biology, December 2002, as "the famous words of Hanns Johst: 'Wenn ich Kultur höre ... entsichere ich meinen Browning' - 'Whenever I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver.'"
    • Additionally it should be noted that a Browning (most likely the M1935 High-Power) is not a revolver, but a magazine-fed semi-automatic pistol.
    Wikipedia list of misquotations

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Black Sun
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Modern art seems to take almost no skill to produce, says nothing that isn't obvious (if it says anything at all), and is rarely anything other than ugly - usually in an attempt to attract attention.

What's to admire?

The foundations of modern art were, it seems to me, in the works of undoubtedly great artists who were exploring their media by experimentation but I doubt that many or indeed any of them, had their working lives been significantly extended, would have failed to realise that they were heading up an aesthetic dead end and returned to their "roots".

Unfortunately - perhaps inevitably - those experiments were seized upon by lesser talents (and latterly people of no talent whatsoever) and, more importantly, socio-political theorists as being blueprints of the art of the new "modern" age. Thus began the process of recreating them in ever more degraded forms - their crudity and ease of execution appealing to those who wanted to see themselves as great or important artists without having the skill to have been considered either in an earlier age - both reflecting and reinforcing the values of that age: relativism, individualism, and consumerism.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    In my view, "art" has a very liberal and laxed definition nowadays. Someone can sprinkle a few drops of paint and make some lines on the canvas and call it "art". The most ridiculous ones are the obscene ones like the Christ in a urine bottle or homosexual "art". Honestly, I find few examples of the modern art which I like.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 09:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Modern art is an expression of the desire of the left to pervert everything around us, to surround us with filth in order to de-sensitize us and to make us accept further degeneration of our society. They cannot stand normality or tradition, to them the nuclear family with a man and a wife and blonde children living a traditional life is vile and repulsive. They want to replace everything traditional in our society with social chaos and anarchy, with perversions and decadence so that they themselves can feel at peace.

They are like pigs who need to wallow in filth in order to feel good about themselves, or at least that's what they think they need. In reality, the more our society is re-modelled after the doctrines of cultural marxism the worse people feel about themselves, people lose all sense of purpose and meaning as well as their humanity.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Art is a reflection of the soul. So it goes without saying that the junk that is being passed as art today stems forth from a people who are bankrupt in spirit and culture. Thus it is the soulless expression of those who have accepted the death of their culture, rather than resisting it. Instead of promoting beauty it glorifies decay. Distortion replaces clarity.

Those who know what true art is can only view the modern crap for what it is.
    CRAP

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    I have made a living off of my art and have verry little training in art. Modern art is a lack of creative expression. Most people who call themselves modern artist are more into the calling themselves artist than they are into making art.
    Art should be judged on weather people want buy it or not and have it part of their lives. Art for art's sake is a big load of crap used to sell worthless paintings.
    I believe that you should not have to have a degree in art to enjoy art and that art should come from the folk not the large Universities. When you look at a painting do say wow that is beautiful or that person went to school at this place?

Last Online
    Tuesday, June 19th, 2012 @ 11:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    german/dutch//british
    Ancestry
    german/dutch/british
    Subrace
    not sure
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Tennessee Tennessee
    doing my best
    Occupation
    health care
    Politics
    extremely skeptical et all
    Religion
    live a moral life without shame
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

define modern art

as you criticize 'modern art' perhaps it best to define it. art from the last 50 years? or just art you don't like? or a specific time period? or specific artists/artistic movements?
    ranting at 'modern art' is a bit vague yes?
    to call something art is a statement of value(quality of expression, technique,etc) which is subjective to the individual. i agree some 'conceptual art' is empty and merely gestural or worse laziness disguised as a higher concept. but some modern art is genuinely interesting, stimulating, appealing. what it may be 'worth' or represent is entirely specific to the individual viewing the work.
    art is subjective- keep an open mind and enjoy what resonates with you personally. might be impressionist, might be minimalist, abstract expression, whatever. think before you make up your mind.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Swiss German
    Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Direct democracy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    It's crap in my opinion, but it's still art.

art: the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art"

The creativity of some artists is poorer and more twisted than of some others.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 02:19 AM
    Status
    Brief Absence
    Ethnicity
    European
    Subrace
    Atlantid-Keltic Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Schaumburg-Lippe Schaumburg-Lippe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If a piece of art does only serve the purpose of further inflate the ego of the artist, then it is always crap, per definitionem.
    Unfortunately, most modern artists see their work as a means of propelling their own personal ego rather than their ego as a means of propelling their work of art, that's the reason they produce mostly - well - crap!

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

The Museum Of Non-Visible Art

Just when you think you've seen everything...

Yes, this is exactly what the image suggests - these are people staring into nothingness. One would normally think this is either a joke or the idea of a starving artist to make a quick buck. However, it is as real as it can get. The museum of non-visible art sells art that only exists in the imagination of the artist (and viewer). And, surprisingly (or rather not, depending on whom you ask), it makes a little more than just a quick buck.

Woman Pays $10,000 For 'Non-Visible' Work Of Art

As an extravaganza of imagination, a museum that reminds us that we live in two worlds: the physical world of sight and the non-visible world of thought. Composed entirely of ideas, the Non-Visible Museum redefines the concept of what is real. Although the artworks themselves are not visible, the descriptions open our eyes to a parallel world built of images and words. This world is not visible, but it is real, perhaps more real than the world of matter, and it is also for sale.

For potential patrons, Franco and Praxis warn you that: “When you contribute to this Kickstarter project, you are not buying a visible piece of art!” But they assure that your investment will be worthwhile due to the participatory nature of the project. Although buyers will not receive a painting or sculpture, they receive a description, and are free to do what they wish with this description
    More...

The manifesto of the museum sounds like some random mumbo-jumbo put together to sound abstract and pretentious, e.g.:

RULES FOR THE CREATION OF THE NON-VISIBLE

You shall not add to the banal. (You shall not build.)
    You shall not litter the world with art. (You shall not make.)
    What you have not made must be beautiful.
    What you have not made must have value.
    You must bring what you have not made to market.
    (The market will give it value.)
    You must give to the market absence.
    (Money is banal until spent.)
    You must offer the market anguish.
    (What is spent is painful.)
    You must make the market beautiful.
    (Nothing beautiful without pain.)
    You must increase the world behind the eyes.
    The wreck of the Medusa.
    It left us with phosphenes.
    You must conjure them and sell them.
    Only when you have done this are you one of us.
    ————————————–
    One can only wonder, what next? A blank book, because one could imagine what's written inside? A fashion show where models walk naked, so that one could imagine what clothes they're wearing? Then again, people did get money for selling imaginary things on the internet, which would normally be considered a rip-off/scam, but it has been taken seriously. With this concept in mind, anyone could be an artist, and art could be found anywhere. Of course one could argue that the "artist" had a painting in their minds, but it's up to the viewer to interpret it - and then doesn't one pay for their own "work of art"?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast