View Poll Results: Do you drink when you are depressed?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't drink

15 40.54%
  • I drink if I feel bad

6 16.22%
  • I drink if I have an extreme crisis

1 2.70%
  • I have another way against this affliction

5 13.51%
  • Other/not specified

10 27.03%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Drink When You Are Depressed?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    258 Posts
    No, never. It's a trap to drink by depression. This is a big mistake youths and adults do, to drown their sorrows with alcohol, even beer and wine. True, alcohol makes inhbitions go away but it's a false sense of happiness. After the effect wears off, oftentimes the person will feel even more depressed than before they drank.

To kill depression, surround yourself with friends, family, loved ones, or distract yourself by keeping occupied. Read a book, play a game, anything which actively engages the brain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Secure a future for Germanic children
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    No, I don't drink alcohol in any situation. Drinking to kill depression is a cop out for cowards. Deal with your feelings up front like a normal person, don't hide behind drunkenness. Life is too complicated and needs to be experienced sober.

Retarded in mysterious ways
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    3 Minutes Ago @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    977 Posts
    I do resort to drinking some times, not really in times of depression, but rather when finding myself standing up against some conundrum that needs solving, as a means for contemplating the matter with a different mindset. Of course, I don't act upon any conclusions I reach in such a state, but revise them when I've returned to sobriety again.

It was an ancient European custom to do so, as the elders and decision-makers would debate their issues, both while sober and then while drinking, to make it easier for everyone to speak their hearts' desires (and then some) and delving into unchartered territory.

I have come up with a lot of ideas and solutions while drunk, that I normally wouldn't have in a sober state. It has also made me do a lot of stupid stuff, that I have learned a lot from, acting as catalysts for something greater. Alcohol is a tool for calling out the chaotic and disorderly forces in man. And in a such weakened state of mind that depression is, doing so, will rarely serve oneself for the better.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Thursday, September 7th, 2017 @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Germanic and Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles & Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Borreby x Nordic
    Country
    Other Other
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Gondolier
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Alcohol is a depressant. It is a bad idea to turn to an addictive depressant once one is already depressed. And better not to drink at all.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 19th, 2020 @ 01:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
    Subrace
    Nordoalpine
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Politics
    Volk&Heimat
    Religion
    Sinnstiftendes Heidentum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Uhm yes, I drink alcohol. Every now and then. When I go out with friends I don't care a lot about my condition. But I've got a better way to become drunk: Pregabalin. Two pills (=600mg) and you have the same effect as three beer, one schnaps and one joint at once. Doesn't cost you more than ~2€.
    Loyal to my hate

Retarded in mysterious ways
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    3 Minutes Ago @ 09:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leliana View Post
    But I've got a better way to become drunk: Pregabalin.
    I never understood the appeal of Pregabalin. I would always just lose all recollection of what happened the following two days, say a lot of stuff that made absolutely no sense, and wake up on different floors I had no reason to lie on. I've also seen people getting addicted to it over longer periods, which is not a pleasent sight at all. Micro-dosing ketamine is much more preferable alcohol-replacement, in that case.
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Saturday, December 19th, 2020 @ 01:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Aus Süddeutschland und Österreich
    Subrace
    Nordoalpine
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Politics
    Volk&Heimat
    Religion
    Sinnstiftendes Heidentum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Şoreiğar View Post
    I never understood the appeal of Pregabalin. I would always just lose all recollection of what happened the following two days, say a lot of stuff that made absolutely no sense, and wake up on different floors I had no reason to lie on. I've also seen people getting addicted to it over longer periods, which is not a pleasent sight at all. Micro-dosing ketamine is much more preferable alcohol-replacement, in that case.
    I've noticed that people react differently to Pregabalin. Some just fall asleep, others react not at all and others, like me, become drunk and euphoric. 600mg works fine for me. It takes around 1,5 hour to flood in and then there's the effect for about 6-8 hours. I'm drunk, I feel fine, I'm extrovert and I don't care about my issues. It's perfect for going out. I can save lots of money. Others need to buy expensive beer or cocktails to get that 'happy drunk' feeling and I just sit by and smile because I've got the same effect without throwing 20 to 30€ out of the window.

What is most important: Don't take it regularly. It can indeed be addictive. When you use it like me, just like 1-2 times a month on 'going out for party' days, you won't get any addiction.
    Loyal to my hate

Aka kentynet
    Last Online
    Friday, May 12th, 2017 @ 11:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly English, some Irish
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I suffer fairly often with anxiety and this leads me to becoming depressed. I learned my way out of it to an extent but not enough to be completely free of it. The worst thing about the depression was what I call "the dread". "The dread" is a feeling I get if I'm in a depressed mood, it's probably more physical even than it is mental, it's just a physical feeling of fear and it's horrible. Alcohol really has been the only thing that can kill that and quick, even just a shot of some spirit and it's gone. Tea can help too to some extent but it's not nearly as good as it.

Anyway, when I lived on my own before I could drink every night and wake up the next day with no hangover, go to work then come home and do the same thing again. This was because I was bored living on my own and the alcohol made me content with nothing much to do watching crap on tv or whatever. My body is quite good at regulating itself I think, when I'd had my fill I'd tend to nod off wherever I was sitting then wake up the next day at roughly the same time I'd get up every day, have a coffee and a shower and go to work feeling fine.

The only actual times I'd get hangovers were when I went out to pubs with friends so ended up drinking more and quicker than I was used to so ended up more intoxicated. But drinking at home I've always preferred it, you can choose how much or little and at what pace you drink. And you can doze off at it whenever you want.
    I've also never really lost control on alcohol either. It doesn't greatly alter my personality, it just makes me more at ease and easy going. It doesn't make me do stupid things apart from stagger a little. I'm fairly high functioning on it still, I type and read normally, follow what people are saying, I don't go and do strange things and I've even done lots of DIY whilst under the influence.

Anyway, after about a year of drinking spirits most nights after work I moved in with someone and suddenly had a lot going on in my life which meant I didn't have time for alcohol or it wouldn't be good the morning after (like if I had to drive anywhere - no hangover headaches, but if I've had a lot late into the night I definitely don't drive till well into the afternoon the next day because it makes me a crap driver). So I stopped abruptly and left it to weekends and I was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm the Old View Post
    Alcohol is basically a depressant. Drinking for depression is self-defeating. Initially, ingesting alcohol causes temporary euphoria. After a few drinks, depression sets in, this is what causes a "crying jag". After a bout of drinking, there is always "post-alcoholic depression." Obviously, then, it is pointless to try to relieve depression by drinking.

Drink when you're feeling good and limit your intake. The liver can detoxify about one ounce of alcohol per hour. That equates to 8 ounces of wine (only
    five ounces of port or sherry, though), 16-20 oz. of beer, 2-2.5 oz of vodka, depending on proof, or about 2.17 oz. of most whiskies. At this level of intake, you will not become obnoxiously drunk or sick, though it may not be safe to drive.

I have found, from experience, that the best preventive against a hangover is high-potency B-complex vitamins taken ASAP after drinking to excess. Do NOT attempt to sober up with coffee. This will make your hangover MUCH worse.
    Depressants don't actually depress you, people just get confused about the wording. Depressants depress (slow down) your central nervous system, that is what is meant by depressant.
    Personally I'd just have a glass of water on hand before bed if you're worried about hangovers. It's best to dilute it and provide plenty of water anyway because it dehydrates you.

Aka kentynet
    Last Online
    Friday, May 12th, 2017 @ 11:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly English, some Irish
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leliana View Post
    I've noticed that people react differently to Pregabalin. Some just fall asleep, others react not at all and others, like me, become drunk and euphoric. 600mg works fine for me. It takes around 1,5 hour to flood in and then there's the effect for about 6-8 hours. I'm drunk, I feel fine, I'm extrovert and I don't care about my issues. It's perfect for going out. I can save lots of money. Others need to buy expensive beer or cocktails to get that 'happy drunk' feeling and I just sit by and smile because I've got the same effect without throwing 20 to 30€ out of the window.

What is most important: Don't take it regularly. It can indeed be addictive. When you use it like me, just like 1-2 times a month on 'going out for party' days, you won't get any addiction.
    I've heard of that. I used a related substance called Phenibut for a couple of years for anxiety, it's quite well known in the English-speaking countries.
    High doses can make you feel drunk or make you sleep, but at doses I did it just made you not worry so much and be more chatty and comfortable with people as well as giving you a nice, subtle energy and motivation boost. I did very well at work when I was on it. Like everything else though its addictive, although the withdrawals aren't as bad as crybabies on the Internet make out, at most you ache a bit (which an ibuprofen cures) and feel a bit miserable and not like talking.
    Both substances can make alcohol feel stronger though, but at the same time can also be used as treatment for alcoholics to take the worst of the withdrawals away (so long as you're not drinking on them obviously).

Last Online
    Monday, August 17th, 2020 @ 06:58 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Norwegian, German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    No, and I don't drink overall. I find it depressing how many women my age drink... socializing nowadays is drinking in a club with loud music, surfing through Facebook at the same table...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast