View Poll Results: What should be our sacred language?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Icelandic/Old Norse

26 29.55%
  • English (and its older versions)

8 9.09%
  • German (and its older versions)

15 17.05%
  • A combination of the above (state which)

7 7.95%
  • None of the above

2 2.27%
  • I don't think we need one

22 25.00%
  • Other (please elaborate)

8 9.09%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What Should Be Our Sacred Language?

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 @ 08:19 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I chose English (old english) because that is where my heritage lies.
    To the Norwegian bloke claiming germany and england isnt germanic all I can say is learn your history before making false claims.
    Question: If a person is born in America, say Alaska of pure norwegian blood he is not allowed to be Asatru? eyes:

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ausswolf For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausswolf
    To the Norwegian bloke claiming germany and england isnt germanic all I can say is learn your history before making false claims.
    To the Australian bloke: Read the whole thread before you start posting in it.

Question: If a person is born in America, say Alaska of pure norwegian blood he is not allowed to be Asatru? eyes:
    What's up with the sarcasm?

Last Online
    Monday, March 24th, 2008 @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Maybe I am not understanding you Gagnraad. You said that Asatru has no place in the Americas.. So people who claim their anscestors worshipped the gods from long ago have no right to do so themselves? So what if we live in the Americas! I guess we should start practising native indian shamanism then.. What matters is the blood, and the loyalty to his people and anscestors.

Just my $.02

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorruğr For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 @ 08:19 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagnraad
    To the Australian bloke: Read the whole thread before you start posting in it.

What's up with the sarcasm?

I was just flabbergasted by your original post really, but I see you clarified the english/german thing.
    What should americans do, pretend to be native americans? I suppose my real question should have been why do you feel uncomfortable when people who don't live in Nordic countries but are of northern blood are Odinist's... '?
    Odin/wotan/wodan is a Germanic god, not Nordic.
    My guess is your suggesting that on average norwegians are of better character than americans? or because they dont live in norway? what of the norwegians that left for the orkney and shetland islands or iceland, are they no longer Asatru? Just trying to understand your point here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ausswolf For This Useful Post:

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 08:09 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    Gods, I never thought what my initial rant about what Gag said could have kicked of. Also, it appears as though some of you's are trying to flog a dead horse; I thought the profiling question was dealt with in enough detail back then...ah well...

Either way guys - if this continues any longer, please take it to PM, or open a topic of its own to discuss whether a person not native-born to Europe should follow Odinism/Asatru. Here at BuB we are often lenient and will not apply rules über-rigorously unless necessary, but please bear in mind that we generally do not allow threads to veer too much off-topic, no matter if it is a highbrow discussion. So, please, in the interests of the forum, take this debate elsewhere if you're bound not to find a conclusion very soon. Let's keep this topic for the discussion over the need for a sacred language only.

No hard feelings, just a gentle reminder.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2007 @ 01:57 AM
    Occupation
    Naval Security
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I picked "a combination of the above". About any Germanic language can be considered a "sacred language" in Heathenry because Heathenry is Pan-Germanic and not specifically Scandinavian, English, or German.

Personally, I'm of the mind that if Modern English is used, it should be what's called "Saxon English". Saxon English is just modern English minus all words that are not of ultimately Germanic etymology. In constructing Saxon English sentences, some English-Speaking Heathens might suppliment their reduced vocabulary with words from Scots, Old English, or Anglisized West Norse (or Vinnish if you live here in Vinland). For the most part, Saxon English sounds exactly like regular English, and most people don't realize that there wasn't one word in what was just said that was of Latin or Greek origin.

All you really need is a big dictionary and a bit of talent for writing. I have a lot of fun figuring out how to phrase things using Saxon English. I think that you find a lot of insight into how the Pre-Christian Germanic mindset differed from our own and maybe how to change it back. The Modern English word "service", for example, comes to us from the Latin "servus" meaning "slave". The word "slave" is also Latin in origin. I've found no word in the Modern English language that is a synonym for "service", "servant", or "serve" that is not of Latin etymology. The closest words there are to "servant" in Saxon English are "Thrall" and "Bondman".

Lee M. Hollander is a good source for Saxon English. He uses many words that are no longer in frequent use in Modern English.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Folkist For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

What should be our sacred language ?

[QUOTE=Folkist]I picked "a combination of the above". About any Germanic language can be considered a "sacred language" in Heathenry because Heathenry is Pan-Germanic and not specifically Scandinavian, English, or German.

Personally, I'm of the mind that if Modern English is used, it should be what's called "Saxon English". Saxon English is just modern English minus all words that are not of ultimately Germanic etymology. In constructing Saxon English sentences, some English-Speaking Heathens might suppliment their reduced vocabulary with words from Scots, Old English, or Anglisized West Norse (or Vinnish if you live here in Vinland). For the most part, Saxon English sounds exactly like regular English, and most people don't realize that there wasn't one word in what was just said that was of Latin or Greek origin.

".......there wasn't one word in what was just said that was of Latin or Greek origin." I don't know how far back in the paragraph you intended "what was just said" to include, but if we limit it to just that sentence,"part", "exactly", "regular", "people", "realize" and "just" are ALL of Latin origin. The closest I can get to that sentence in Saxon English is. "Most of Saxon English sounds like today's English, and most folks don't know that there wasn't a word in what was said that was from Latin or Greek."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorm the Old For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Saturday, July 28th, 2007 @ 01:57 AM
    Occupation
    Naval Security
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Egil Skallagrimsson
    I don't know how far back in the paragraph you intended "what was just said" to include, but if we limit it to just that sentence,"part", "exactly", "regular", "people", "realize" and "just" are ALL of Latin origin. The closest I can get to that sentence in Saxon English is. "Most of Saxon English sounds like today's English, and most folks don't know that there wasn't a word in what was said that was from Latin or Greek."
    That's very observant of you Mr. Skallagrimsson, but I wasn't using Saxon English in my post, or any post for that matter. I was refering to "what was just said" during any given ritual that uses Saxon English. I'll put it more in context for you next time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Folkist For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 07:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    A sacred language? Why?

I'm fairly certain the gods will understand the words coming out of your mouth/mind no matter what language you speak, so long as the words are sincere.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

What should be our sacred language ?

Aw, Call me Egil; everybody does.

Where Saxon English is concerned, there is still a problem basing it on English purged of non-Germanic words. Even Anglo-Saxon, as we have received it, contains words of Latin origin, e.g. abbod (abbot), abbodisse (abbess), apinsian (Lt, pensare), baedzere (baptist), belt (Lt. balteus), candel (candle = Lt. candela), munt (mount[ain] = Lt. mons), mylen (mill = Lt. molina= Gk. mylon) , mil (mile = Lt. milia).......etc.

Some words are obvious borrowings from Church Latin, others are probably from Roman military Latin. It might be very difficult to find Germanic-derived Anglo-Saxon words to replace these.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gorm the Old For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast