Account Inactive

Last Online
    Friday, July 8th, 2011 @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

300!

Kids thrown to Caeadas, blood-thirsty Spartans, demonised Persians and similar stereotypes is something one should expect from a Hollywood movie about Thermopylae.

A neurotic Leonidas yelling like Adolf Hitler, kneeling(!) Spartans, Spartans fighting individualy like highlanders, troll and orc looking Persians, pre-christian fighters dining in hell instead of Elyssian Fields is something neither Spartans nor spectators deserve.

On the other hand, producers make clear that the movie is based on a graphic novel that concerns Thermopylae and not history and the battle per se. Furthermore, it's the first out of the latest movies related to ancient Greece where Greeks look like... Greeks. Ajax-sson bearing a hammer, the rest of viking-looking Greeks of "Troy" and oxygenized Colin Farrel in "Alexander" could work only as comic relief. Finally, there is a fair share of history included in the script: Spartans offered the bottom of a well to the persian heralds that demanded earth and water as a tribute for the Persian king. "We-will-fight-in-shade" answer of Dienekes is included as well. The last men stand spirit is kept also.

Too many conclusions from a short length trailer? Take a look for yourselves:

http://www.gerardbutler.net/300/300_promo_trailer.htm

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Interesting. I've always thought a movie about Thermopylae would be a great idea. In this day and age, a story about a few Europeans pushing back a horde of invading Afro-Asiatics is especially important. I know most movies like this aren't historically accurate but I'll usually go see them anyway. Its either this or 'Big Mama's House' or 'You Got Served' or some other nauseating trite like that.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 14th, 2007 @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The film is self-admittedly, and obviously, highly stylized. Almost literally faithful to Miller's graphic novel (a first for a movie adaption of any kind I think)

I thought Greeks would have been enthusiastic about it in general, the actors are dressed etc, to look "Greek" (unlike that ridiculous film Troy) they are shown in a highly positive and heroic light (as opposed to the Heironymous Bosch like Persians)

In fact, in some ways one might view the film as being a small racially aware state heroically resisting the mutant wave of multiculturism (ie "The thousand nations of the Persian Empire descend upon you")

youtube trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDiUG52ZyHQ

Last Online
    Sunday, November 11th, 2007 @ 10:53 PM
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid? + East-Baltid?
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    "before this battle is over the world will know that few stood against many"!!!
    This goes on my very short must see list!

Last Online
    Thursday, April 21st, 2016 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I look forward to seeing this movie im a big fan of Millers novels.
    Improvement makes straight roads but the crooked roads without improvment are roads of genius-----
    William Blake

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Friday, July 8th, 2011 @ 09:46 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Kids thrown to Caeadas, blood-thirsty Spartans, demonised Persians and similar stereotypes is something one should expect from a Hollywood movie about Thermopylae.

A neurotic Leonidas yelling like Adolf Hitler, kneeling(!) Spartans, Spartans fighting individualy like highlanders, troll and orc looking Persians, pre-christian fighters dining in hell instead of Elyssian Fields is something neither Spartans nor spectators deserve.

On the other hand, producers make clear that the movie is based on a graphic novel that concerns Thermopylae and not history and the battle per se. Furthermore, it's the first out of the latest movies related to ancient Greece where Greeks look like... Greeks. Ajax-sson bearing a hammer, the rest of viking-looking Greeks of "Troy" and oxygenized Colin Farrel in "Alexander" could work only as comic relief. Finally, there is a fair share of history included in the script: Spartans offered the bottom of a well to the persian heralds that demanded earth and water as a tribute for the Persian king. "We-will-fight-in-shade" answer of Dienekes is included as well. The last men stand spirit is kept also.

Too many conclusions from a short length trailer? Take a look for yourselves:

http://www.gerardbutler.net/300/300_promo_trailer.htm

I watched the film and I insist in the review I made after watching its trailer. At least, as a friend of mine had mentioned, even if such films are not accurate portrayals of history, they spark our curiousity into learning more.