View Poll Results: Proud of the mixture of proud of being

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am mixed and I like it!

39 22.81%
  • I am mixed, but I would prefer I'd belong to only one nation.

37 21.64%
  • I am e.g. a full Dutchman, but I would also enjoy having ancestors from different countries.

11 6.43%
  • I am e.g. a "pure Norwegian" and I can't imagine something else could be better.

44 25.73%
  • Both has advantages and disadvantages

27 15.79%
  • I don't know.

13 7.60%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Proud of the Mixture or Proud of Being "Pure"?

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Family
    Married parent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I am e.g. a "pure Norwegian" and I can't imagine something else could be better.

I don't think I would enjoy being mixed. Keeping one culture alive is difficult nowadays as it is, with this horrendous materialism and degeneration, adding another one to the equation would be overwhelming for me.
    "Tradition doesn't mean holding on to the ashes, it means passing the torch."
    - Thomas Morus (1478-1535)

Schimmelreiter
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    This can already be a problem with the regionally mixed if they also aim toward a regionalised understanding of culture. One can easily become torn between where one grew up, the region of predominant ancestry, the current area of residence where one effectively has to integrate and there might also be a responsibility to preserve the memory of one of our lost tribes. Sometimes there is common ground between several of these considerations, sometimes there is not.

Still, the same conclusion.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am mixed, and I do not feel English, I feel British.

Of the racial components, I suspect that the Celtic part of me is the strongest, but the Alpinid and Spanish Romany elements on my mother's side have been significant enough to have given me certain character traits and abilities.

However, none of this has had a direct cultural influence on me, as I was adopted at birth and brought up the English way. My adopted father is a English clergyman, and my adopted mother is from Yorkshire. My cultural background is English, even if I do not feel entirely such.

With regards to the racial issue:

When I look in the mirror I see a white person who looks a bit Central European looking back at me. I was somewhat bemused by this until meeting my natural parents about seven years ago. The jisgaw is less incomplete now.

I am proud of my ancestry, but this pride is quite separate from how I feel about mixing ethnicities, because I believe it to be less than ideal as it so often occurs as a result of unrest and instability.

Last Online
    Saturday, November 7th, 2009 @ 01:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scots/Welsh/Nordic/Irish/Strathclyde Briton
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    California California
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    writer
    Politics
    Jeffersonian Democrat
    Religion
    Zennist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    Being mixed has forced me to look at the bigger picture. I'm thankful to be of Northwestern European/Celtogermanic descent, that I can say the majority of my ancestors originated from the British Isles, that I'm about the same as any other Southerner, and I do have a wonderful culture and place to call home. So, I don't feel without an identity and folk. I'm proud of my ancestors because they contributed to what we have here and I'm proud to be Southern. I wouldn't want to be anything else. That's simply the best thing I can do.

Pretty much what he said

Well ditto to that on all accounts,one grandmother from Ulster and all the rest of my ancestors were from Scotland,Ireland and Border Reivers(mixture Angle/Briton/viking/Pict the usual Reiver mix. Up and down Strathclyde,Cumberland and that area and Amtrim.
    But three four granparents lineages have been here for a long time in Virginia, North Carolina,Tennesee and Texas. I bleed Bonnie Blue
    Hurrah!,Hurrah! for Southern Rights
    Hurrah,Hurragh for the Bonnie Blue Flag
    that Bears a Single Star

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boernician For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Friday, July 31st, 2020 @ 02:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I am a proud American. My ancestry is "pure" German from the Northern regions, but the regional mix is of no consequence to me because I do not plan on becoming some German regionalist. I am learning the language of my ancestors because I believe it is interesting, but I will always remain American and I would not want to be anything else.

Die Sonne scheint noch.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dagna For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 03:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    A fixation on being "mixed" or "pure" isn't necessarily helpful. A person should love their self enough to want their partner to be like them. If everyone had, there would never have been any mixing.

Even if you are "mixed" you shouldn't use the fact as an excuse to mix further. Half German and half Swedish? There are thousands of people like you. The same is true for many other mixes.

Schimmelreiter
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    but the regional mix is of no consequence to me because I do not plan on becoming some German regionalist
    I would imagine that to be quite a feat without any German-speaking communities left in Minnesota, unless you are also thinking of regional heritage in ancestral terms. I am beginning to understand that to Americans of German descent all of Germany (and the very concept of being German that defines this geographically) must be like East Prussia is to us.

Being anything other than a global citizen is loaded with enormous difficulties these days, but local communities are still the only viable alternative and "mixing" of any kind then becomes a community issue that has to be dealt with in practical terms, guided by a folk-wide policy. Regional mixing is one of the minor issues, but it is still an issue and more so without such communities.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Even if you are "mixed" you shouldn't use the fact as an excuse to mix further. Half German and half Swedish? There are thousands of people like you. The same is true for many other mixes.
    I find the idea of loosely affiliated individuals with similarly tagged mixes to be an uninspired continuation of our liberalist sickness. It is a stopgap measure at best. Grouping similar individuals is not wrong, but they have to form an actual group somewhere. When I read "half German and half Swedish" the Twin Cities come to mind.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hauke Haien For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Sunday, February 1st, 2009 @ 12:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student/Retail
    Politics
    Moderate Libertarian
    Religion
    Hard Polytheist Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm fairly mixed, with a quarter German Hungarian English and Scottish. However, I almost completely identify with the German side with a little Hungarian and English influence, and practically no Scottish influence. While I have nothing against those who continue mixing, I will probably marry a woman who is mostly Germanic.

Does anyone else who is mixed have a tendency to side with one part(s) of their ancestry more than another?

Last Online
    Sunday, February 15th, 2009 @ 06:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm 1/4 Polish, although that quarter of me may actually be half Polish and half Ukranian. One of my aunts insists my supposedly Polish great grandfather was actually Ukranian, but another aunt swears it isn't so. It doesn't really matter much anyway, because apparently the Poles and Ukranians have been mixing for centuries.

Anyway my Slavic blood is of a rather Nordic variety. My Slavic maternal grandmother appears more Nordid than my German maternal grandfather and my German paternal grandmother. Only my German paternal grandfather appears more Nordid. And since I've been classified as Nordid by none other than Agrippa himself, I don't feel bad about my Slavic blood at all.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast