View Poll Results: Proud of the mixture of proud of being

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am mixed and I like it!

39 22.81%
  • I am mixed, but I would prefer I'd belong to only one nation.

37 21.64%
  • I am e.g. a full Dutchman, but I would also enjoy having ancestors from different countries.

11 6.43%
  • I am e.g. a "pure Norwegian" and I can't imagine something else could be better.

44 25.73%
  • Both has advantages and disadvantages

27 15.79%
  • I don't know.

13 7.60%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Proud of the Mixture or Proud of Being "Pure"?

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 03:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    tried to do the fractions thing. Too muddy to figure it out! Here's the breakdown:

i know i'm 1/8 Ojibway/Potowatami Indian

the rest are Germans who moved to France who moved to Ireland who moved to Scotland (picking up blood along the way) then to Michigan. I get some Dutch and a whole lot of Scot from my Mother's side.
    Tequila Sunrise

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Proud of the mixture oR proud of being "pure" ?

Since having had a Y-DNA test done, I know a little more about the paternal side of my ancestry. The frequency of occurrence of my surname in Wales has proved to be a red herring. I show no genetic matches to anyone in Wales whose Y-DNA has been tested.

In fact, I show no very close matches with ANYBODY having the same surname as I. I do not show a 12/12 match of Y-DNA markers to anybody who has been tested anywhere. There are no strong 11/12 matches either. However, at two removes, a match of 10/12 markers, I have 13 matches in Germany and 12 in Switzerland as compared to from 1 to 3 elsewhere. So, it would appear that I have paternal ancestors who spent some time in both Germany and Switzerland.

My haplogroup is uncertain. Tentatively, it has been defined as G2. Inasmuch as haplogroup G never got very far away from Iran, this seems unlikely to me.
    Further testing is being done, but I have not received the results yet.

I was puzzled by the lack of a 12/12 match to anybody whose Y-DNA has been tested until a friend of mine who is interested in this sort of thing suggested that I was barking up the wrong tree in trying to figure when and where my ancestors had mutated away from my genetic line and suggested. "Maybe YOU are the mutation !" That's certainly possible. Maybe I'm a lusus naturae or "sport". [Not the same sense as in "Tie me kangaroo down, sport."]

Anyhow, pending further genetic data, I'm now calling myself Norwegian on my mother's side and German/Swiss on my father's. I find no cause to be ashamed of this mixture. On the other hand, if my haplogroup is really G2, I must have some Persian ancestors way back there somewhere. Oh well, the Persians were a great people, too until the damned Muslims convinced them otherwise.

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I am English, but I was born in Scotland as my dad was working up there at the time.
    That's neither here nor there in this debate.

But I know I have some Irish blood in me, from my mum's side.
    I remember as a child we all got in the car every weekend to travel to Liverpool; one weekend to visit my mum's family, the next to visit my dad's (on the other side of the River Mersey in Birkenhead).

My mum had some ancient aunts there, all speaking in a Scouse accent except the oldest (bedridden) one. I think she was Auntie Mona.
    Anyway, even as a 9 or 10 year old, I could tell a Southern Irish accent when I heard it.

One of my relatives on my mum's side started researching the family tree and traced herself back to somewhere in Ireland.
    I can't remember where, but it wasn't Dublin, I remember that much.

I'm fine with it, though I've never actually visited Ireland. Hell, I haven't even been back to Scotland since I was still pooing in nappies.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alizon Device For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm a bit muddled by the direction(s) this energized thread is taking. I see on the one hand, strong identification with cultural traditions/lines but only Egil has empirical evidence (that is itself less than illuminating, it seems).

Our actions give true value to our blood, not the other way 'round.

I happen to be of German folk (mostly) with a 'quarter' Scot. But going back a dozen generations with the ever-moving borders, boats and footfalls of NW European folk, it'd be an act of bravado (short of DNA evidence) to untangle all those bedclothes

Meanwhile, cheers to all good folk at BuB : Let's hope all our ancestors are doing well together.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edenkoben
    I'm a bit muddled by the direction(s) this energized thread is taking. I see on the one hand, strong identification with cultural traditions/lines but only Egil has empirical evidence (that is itself less than illuminating, it seems).

Our actions give true value to our blood, not the other way 'round.

I happen to be of German folk (mostly) with a 'quarter' Scot. But going back a dozen generations with the ever-moving borders, boats and footfalls of NW European folk, it'd be an act of bravado (short of DNA evidence) to untangle all those bedclothes

Meanwhile, cheers to all good folk at BuB : Let's hope all our ancestors are doing well together.
    yeah man, who fucking knows who they are for certain? I just like to kick back and groove on stuff, if i found out tomorrow that i was half semitic half black and that i was just adopted, i'd be confused for about 5 seconds and then just keep on tokin'.
    Tequila Sunrise

Last Online
    Friday, September 19th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmokyGod
    If i found out tomorrow that i was half semitic half black and that i was just adopted, i'd be confused for about 5 seconds and then just keep on tokin'.
    If I found out the same thing, I imagine I might resort to the same response; after all I wouldn't have any blood, soil, cultural or DNA link to the ethical system and normative values that come with my combination of nature-nuture sense of reality.

Maybe I was too flip about my comment that our actions speak louder than our ancestors--I left out the part that some of my motivation to act is because of those ancestors. How much of that is a component of my blood (nature) and how much my soil (nurture) isn't clear to me.

I tried, long ago, toking my way out of bad situations. Damnedest thing: every time I sobered up, not only were all my original problems still there, but more often than not they had invited all their friends over to help screw things up for me too.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 07:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I'm mostly an ethnic German. PA German through and through. I don't know any specifics concerning percentages of my Germanicness, but it does not matter that much to me.

All the surnames I have searched of my ancestors are all of German origin and most originate from the Rhineland or Southern Germany and Switzerland. My first ancestor in America came from Switzerland in 1722, and settled not too far from where I currently live.

I'm proud to be a Pennsylvania German. 'Nuff said.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulf For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edenkoben
    If I found out the same thing, I imagine I might resort to the same response; after all I wouldn't have any blood, soil, cultural or DNA link to the ethical system and normative values that come with my combination of nature-nuture sense of reality.

Maybe I was too flip about my comment that our actions speak louder than our ancestors--I left out the part that some of my motivation to act is because of those ancestors. How much of that is a component of my blood (nature) and how much my soil (nurture) isn't clear to me.

I tried, long ago, toking my way out of bad situations. Damnedest thing: every time I sobered up, not only were all my original problems still there, but more often than not they had invited all their friends over to help screw things up for me too.
    hahaha, yeah the leaf can be tricky at times.

if that happened to me i would probably have to reconsider the Michigan tattoo i want to get.
    Tequila Sunrise

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Proud of whatever

To confuse things a bit further, my "Welsh" surname means "from France" ! Also, it has been confirmed that my haplogroup is G . Haplogroup G "originated" (shows up earliest ) in Iran and never migrated very far from there, maybe as far east as Pakistan.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Egil Skallagrimsson
    To confuse things a bit further, my "Welsh" surname means "from France" ! Also, it has been confirmed that my haplogroup is G . Haplogroup G "originated" (shows up earliest ) in Iran and never migrated very far from there, maybe as far east as Pakistan.
    huh.

we still love you, man

Persia was cool!
    Tequila Sunrise

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast