White separatist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: The Germanic Character...

Finns are often described as the coldest. They also talk quite slow.
    my Finnish friends don't talk slow?Unless they're trying to wade thru my Pittsburghese! But I think it depends on the dif individuals while FINNS as a group are known to be "cold" my BFF is more so but my friend Sussie on the other hand is extremely loving/affectionate

Last Online
    Saturday, March 10th, 2007 @ 09:25 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Occupation
    Student.
    Politics
    I don't really have one.
    Religion
    Metalhead.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by berserkergrrl
    my Finnish friends don't talk slow?Unless they're trying to wade thru my Pittsburghese! But I think it depends on the dif individuals while FINNS as a group are known to be "cold" my BFF is more so but my friend Sussie on the other hand is extremely loving/affectionate
    Everyone, especially Finns, tend to open up a bit more after several drinks have been put through them.

Nah, but seriously, from my experience with the more pure looking Finns, they do seem pretty distant at first. However, it seems once you get to know them, or "break the ice," they can be... somewhat crazy at times. Another girl I know is a dead serious worker, taking on drudgery without a complaint, but if you ever have a chance to actually sit down and chat with her it can be quite the experience. I recall once i sent her into such a fit of giggles that she actually fell off her chair and accidently hit her head, but that made her laugh even more. Ok, so that may not be exactly crazy, but given enough time i could think other similiar examples of things you wouldn't expect from someone who... well, you wouldn't expect things like that from.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 16th, 2011 @ 10:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Those parts of the Germanic character that have been stereotyped here in the USA are really not bad things to be stereotyped as. Why not so emotional? Because of the rule of logic and necessity. If that was the best they could pin on our German ancestors during the WWI/WWII anti-German spite-fests, we should be proud. After all, if one has to live with a steretype: the German stereotype would be the most desireable. Think: would you rather be saddled with anyone else's stereotype? So, there are truths behind stereotypes: and the German stereotype is really of highly admirable qualities.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 26th, 2005 @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The older Germans whom I've met tend to have a certain air of reserve or formality to them, the younger ones less so. Perhaps it is a generational thing.

Speaking of Finns, here is a joke related to me by a Danish girl some years ago (the Danes seem to like Finnish jokes for some reason) :

Two Finns go out into the woods to drink. They spend some hours sitting under a tree, completely silent, while drinking. Eventually, one of them says 'So how are things with you?'. For a few more hours, there is complete silence, and they continue their drinking. Then the other one says 'Did we come here to talk all day, or to drink?'

Last Online
    Friday, April 1st, 2005 @ 09:39 AM
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Posthuman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

My computer had a glitch with my previous post.

In my personal experience, I find that Germans can be quite warm and affectionate at times - although not quite as loud and expressive as many Sicilians (e.g.) I've dealt with - much more than many e.g. Baltic people I've known.

Germans I've known are fairly structure-oriented in how they think, behave, and teach their children. They also encourage industry and have disdain for idleness or idle play - which in my opinion makes them a bit colorless and even foolish at times, since play is an intergral part of higher learning, despite its "frivolous" appearance.

In general I find Germans to be Central Europeans - they are most like Czechs, Hungarians, and other people from that region - possibly because of the great German influence on these cultures. Compared to Anglo-Saxons they are more authoritarian.

I find that in general the coastal peoples of Europe (from the Mediterreanean around the British Isles all the way to the Baltic peoples) are more individualistic than the inland peoples. The Slavs, the most inland, landlocked peoples in Europe, have an IMO deserved reputation as the most collective-oriented Europeans.

On the scale of individualism-collectivism I find the Germans intermediate; likewise, on the scale of emotional reservedness-expressiveness I find the Germans intermediate.
    "Whatever is done from love always occurs beyond good and evil." - F. Nietzsche

Last Online
    Saturday, March 10th, 2007 @ 09:25 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Occupation
    Student.
    Politics
    I don't really have one.
    Religion
    Metalhead.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was watching some comedy show the other day. It was some anniversary thing which was basically pieced together of what comic of previous years had done over the years, and they sorted them by subject. One subject was, well, basically different cultures. They had various African Americans, dressed with clothes fifty times too large, sometimes sporting gaudy jewelry, telling jokes about being black and the such.
    But then they briefly showed a man with a very thick german accent. I wish I could remember what he said word for word, but i'll try to get his point across anyway. He walked up on stage, and he was like, "Before I start tee show I tink I should clear up how grossly informed you people are informed about tee German people. We are not in any way, shape, or form obsessed numerical synchronicity. Now, with that behind us let me start. Joke number one..."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12