View Poll Results: How many friends do you have?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can count my friends on the fingers of my hand.

    44 78.57%
  • between 5 and 10

    7 12.50%
  • between 10 and 20

    2 3.57%
  • between 20 and 30

    1 1.79%
  • between 30 and 50

    2 3.57%
  • more than 50

    0 0%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 107

Thread: The Nature and Value of Friendship

  1. #21
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Dagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    76
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I believe these are all good definitions of friendship. Has it ever happened for your friendship to end? I believe we all go through this. Why do friendships end? I believe it is for many reasons. Perhaps because world views differ? That is what happened in one of my cases. I believe that if two people disagree on politics and their disagreement is so important that they cannot be friends anymore, their friendship was fake.


    Die Sonne scheint noch.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 @ 07:48 AM
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Friendship to me is a "strong bond". I only call people "friends" if I actually care about them. The rest are acquaintances.

    And as you said, if they don't come to help you, they aren't your friends.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Freydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Location
    Nowhere
    Gender
    Age
    30
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Posts
    1,414
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't believe in "true" friendship because I don't trust people. ^^

    But I think it's nice to be with people and have fun with them.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

  4. #24
    Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Age
    40
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Posts
    2,984
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Most people I know are on a sliding scale of some sort as to friendship/acquaintance or whatever, and that frequently changes over time. Help me fix my truck? Up you go on the scale. Take a swing at me when you're drunk? Down you go on the scale. Also I move around a lot and lose touch with some people simply because they are not on the internet much.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 @ 07:48 AM
    Posts
    134
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    I don't believe in "true" friendship because I don't trust people. ^^

    But I think it's nice to be with people and have fun with them.
    Why don't you trust them?

    I hate when people trot out those macho "I don't trust no one" lines.(No connection you since, I would hope, you aren't macho.)

  6. #26
    Senior Member sophia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 28th, 2008 @ 04:31 PM
    Age
    33
    Posts
    334
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    I believe these are all good definitions of friendship. Has it ever happened for your friendship to end? I believe we all go through this. Why do friendships end? I believe it is for many reasons. Perhaps because world views differ? That is what happened in one of my cases. I believe that if two people disagree on politics and their disagreement is so important that they cannot be friends anymore, their friendship was fake.
    The only time a friendship of mine broke was when I was 11 and my best friend grew up faster than me and wanted to be cool and fashionable and popular whilst I was still in the phase of development where my main focus was playing imagination games and being a child. In retrospect I understand what happened. Neither of us were old enough to have the social skills to know how to deal with the changes that come with puberty and I was the one that was left behind. I was very hurt and angry with her at the time because we were very close, I was close to her family too and I miss them even today and wonder how are her brothers, what are they doing these days. The whole lot of them moved back to South Africa where they lived before their mother came to university in Britain, I have no idea what became of them and it makes me quite sad even now.

    Since then some friendships of mine have drifted apart because of moving to university and similar. A lot of my school friends although I felt utterly comfortable with them at one time have spent so much time in other places and doing other things that they seem to be like different people and I don't know them nearly as well as I used to. I suppose that is natural when you leave school to happen but when you're in school its easy to meet people because you are basically forced to. I have no idea how to meet people (and I lack the patience to get past the uncomfortable stages) in an adult situation.
    A* I’m a dreadful reactionary, Mrs. Helena. I don’t like this progress one bit.
    H* Like Nana.
    A* Yes, like Nana. Does Nana have a prayer book?
    H* A big fat one.
    A* And are there prayers in it for various occurrences in life? Against storms? Against illness?
    H* Against temptation, against floods -
    A* But not against progress, I suppose?
    H* > I think not.
    A* That’s a shame.

  7. #27
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    The Horned God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Ireland
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Family
    Single adult
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sophia View Post
    A lot of my school friends although I felt utterly comfortable with them at one time have spent so much time in other places and doing other things that they seem to be like different people and I don't know them nearly as well as I used to.
    I've had this same exact experience with friends from secondary school.
    Most of them still live where I grew up and we go out to the pub occasionaly. But I still half-expect them to think and act like the teenagers I remember from our school days, and that just isn't the case any more. They are, as you say, different people now.

    At least I haven't (yet) had that experience with people I met while in college. They still think and act pretty much the same as I remember them from college.

    However, with one notable exception, the friends I met in college were never as close as the friends I made in school. This is even though my college friends had in theory more similar interests and life trajectories to my own. The friends who mean most to me and whom I keep in touch with most nowadays are in fact old school friends in spite of the fact that they are different now... so work that one out.

  8. #28
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Friends are people who accept you for who you are with all your good and bad points. They're also people who will aid you whenever you require their help... and vice versa, of course.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Freydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Location
    Nowhere
    Gender
    Age
    30
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Posts
    1,414
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by United Faith View Post
    Why don't you trust them?

    I hate when people trot out those macho "I don't trust no one" lines.(No connection you since, I would hope, you aren't macho.)
    I am not being macho.

    I don't trust people because I've lost too much in trusting people. :

    But that's all I feel like saying on the topic.

    ^^ let's have tea.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

  10. #30
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    I am not being macho.

    I don't trust people because I've lost too much in trusting people. :

    But that's all I feel like saying on the topic.

    ^^ let's have tea.
    The more people you'll trust, the more people will abuse your trust. However, the more people abuse your trust, the more life experience you gain and the better you'll be able to judge others.

    Life is a game of give and take. If you never give your trust to others, you'll die as an old cynic and you'll never be able to fully appreciate life.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Songs About Friendship
    By Aeternitas in forum Music & Hymns
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Thursday, December 14th, 2017, 08:00 AM
  2. Internet Friendship
    By Gefjon in forum Men, Women, & Relationships
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Thursday, October 12th, 2017, 02:43 AM
  3. Friendship with Your Ex?
    By Bärin in forum Men, Women, & Relationships
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Friday, March 24th, 2017, 11:53 PM
  4. The Korean Friendship Association (KFA)
    By ogenoct in forum Politics & Geopolitics
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Wednesday, September 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •