View Poll Results: What's your heritage?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • German/Austrian

70 47.95%
  • English

51 34.93%
  • Scandinavian (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish)

36 24.66%
  • Icelandic

0 0%
  • Dutch

16 10.96%
  • Scottish

27 18.49%
  • Other

34 23.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Heritage?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 10:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

What's Your Heritage?

Where do you come from, where are your roots? Are you still connected with the customs and traditions of your ancestors or do you have adapted the lifestyle of the place where you live now (if you don't live anymore in country where your forefathers come from)?
    Lík börn leika best.

Last Online
    Sunday, August 24th, 2008 @ 10:36 PM
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As far as i know, i am 100 % finnish. Ancestors from western and eastern Finland. Born and raised in southern Finland Lifestyle? Well i´ve pretty much adapted the ways of the "big" city.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 21st, 2016 @ 09:44 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Im 100% Irish and 100% proud.I try to be as much up on my heritage as i can possiably be.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 10:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Half German (Northern Germany, Schleswig Holstein), half Swedish (Southern Sweden). Born on a small island in the Northern Sea, raised there, in Sweden and on the North German mainland (most of the time), and spent most of the time in these beautiful places. Since my father is Heathen (and my mother "got into it" when they met) I was taught by him a lot about Runes and Northern Mythology.

In my early 20's I moved away from that beautiful place (no idea what made me to) and settled down in Austria, which is also nice (love the mountains), but does not take away the homesickness from me. Still have to say here for some time until I earned enough money to buy a tiny little house with a stable for the horses somewhere faaaaaar more North.

Adapted some Viennese dialect through the years. :runaway
    Lík börn leika best.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I was born and raised in the midlands of Ireland as are all of my blood relations that I know of. Some are paupers some are veritable tycoons but none are currently living abroad and all live together within an area less than 100 miles in diameter, only one family lives in the city. :runaway

As far as traditons go, unfortunately outside of commercial and pub entertainment and the regional and national competitions a lot of the old traditions and especially the traditional lifestyle has died out. This involved storytelling, music, dance and a culture of calling uninvited at neighbors houses expecting either to be taken in to entertain and be entertained with the above activities, (until their drink ran out) or else be shown the mop, in which case the revelers moved on to the next house hoping for a better reception.

That type of traditional village life which probably persisted unchanged in rural Ireland from the beginning of agriculture, largely died out with my grandparents generation and the introduction of radio and television, electric light and everything else of the modern age which allows people to roam over the planet but lose the authentic connection with their neighbours and the place where they are from.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 23rd, 2006 @ 03:08 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I live in Africa and so no longer live anywhere near the homelands of forefathers. I am English in culture but as I'm half Scandinavian and Odinist and have a brother well into Scandinavian culture and family trees and so on the ways and people of the homelands remain very much with us in spirit. There are others here who are Heathen and they adapt well the Heathen spiritual view to the landscape here. The ferocious summer lightning storms of the interior they relate strongly to the power of Thor and the runic mystery of Thurisaz. The raging winter storms of the Cape Province they relate to Odin as Storm Lord of the furious hunt. The powerful winds of that lash cape Town are giant powers, the mountains all over the country and the woods and sea and rivers, the open grasslands, the big skies etc all seem to go well with Heathen spirituality, much the way I think it does in America and Australia where there are many Heathens.

Personally, I feel none of their joy at these aspects as I love rain and forests and valleys and lots of undergrowth and inland pools (elf kind, lol). I come to life spiritually only when the fire giants depart and the Vanir rule, which isn't often here unless you deliberately find a place where this is prevalent. I constantly long for England and for the British Isles because of the climate and vegetation that is my natural habitat. Here I feel a bit like an exotic animal out of its habitat. But almost everyone else has none of these feelings and the Boers consider themselves to be no longer European. They admire the heat and complain bitterly when its cloudy and rainy. They have adapted and I have not. :runaway

I want to go home.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    50% German: Baden-Wurttemberg, Alsace
    25% Scotch-Irish: northern Ireland
    12.5% English
    12.5% Scottish: Kintyre

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 @ 02:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, my heritage is... "Other" (French). I live in the city while my forefathers probably came from the countryside and might have been peasants; so yes, I've lost my roots and I know few on my ancestors' customs and lifestyle. We speak no dialect in my family, we've no special tradition of any sort.

I've hardly tried to trace my family tree so I'm just aware that they were of different traditions and came from different regions of my country; as it's rather varied (but still French) I'll spare you the details...

PS : Er, who's Italian on BuB? I wonder if I have ever seen any one here...
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

« -Oh my God, but you're a neo-nazi?!...
    -But why neo? »

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 16th, 2006 @ 09:56 PM
    Tax Payer/white slave
    Politics
    White separatist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hellenic with some Italian heritage here!

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    My mother was born in north of England, and my father is an American of predominantly British descent, with a small percentage of German ancestry. I was born in the United States, but no matter where I've lived here, I've never felt at home. I live in the desert (!) right now, and while I appreciate its own brand of beauty, it's simply not home. Growing up, I always longed for cold, rainy weather instead of a neverending succession of sunny days. I enjoy magical spring mornings in northern England and relish the gentle rain of an English summer. I totally empathize with Sigrid.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast