Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is "Saint Patrick's Day" A Sham?

Last Online
    Thursday, April 21st, 2016 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is "Saint Patrick's Day" A Sham?

I have a problem with St Patricks day.No matter where you go in the world people celebrate it Irish or not.

Then Irish people say that its a day to be proud of being Irish but the rest of the year they dont care one bit.Its a reason to go out and get drunk off your head and fight. I have seen this every year on this so called day of pride.

If your proud of being Irish know your history take pride in you country your natural surroundings celebrate it like that.Instead of going to watch a parade go enjoy the amazing views around you.This very morning i got stock into the shop i work of Irish t-shirts for tomorrow to sell.These t-shirts have slogans on them that i find in bad taste they are aimed at tourists but they live up to the stereotype that we are a nation of drunken idiots.

If you go to any tourist shop in Ireland you will find all this stupid stuff with stupid slogans and drunk sheep what an insult.How can we get away from these stereotypes if we the people of Ireland encourage them in our shops.:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

St. patrick's day sham

Well, of course, you can't. You have either to repudiate them or accept them. You can't deplore the stereotypes on the one hand and exploit them on the other.
    When did Ireland start celebrating St. Patrick's day in the American fashion ? I know that, about 40 years ago, his day was treated like any other saint's day and nothing special was made of it. An Irish-Amrican friend of my mother's was shocked when, visiting Ireland around 1960, he discovered that there was no corned beef and cabbage, a dish the Irish hadn't heard of, nor any green beer, nor any parade. Corned beef and cabbage, of course, is a Boston dish which was introduced TO the Irish immigrants BY the Bostonians.
    As to whether to accept or repudiate stereotypes, we Norwegian-Americans have embraced the "dumb squarehead" stereotype and laugh along with others at the Ole and Lena stories and de Norvegian yokes assuming that everyone knows that they're just humorous exaggerations. (And we aren't noted for having a sense of humor.)

Last Online
    Friday, July 10th, 2009 @ 02:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am saddened by this too. They pull out the tired old phrases "Everybody is a little Irish on St. Patty's Day" or something of the sort. Am I? Last time I checked I wasn't. I deplore the increasing novelty of holidays like these. Irish deserve to not have their culture turned into a product.

Quote Originally Posted by Egil Skallagrimsson
    As to whether to accept or repudiate stereotypes, we Norwegian-Americans have embraced the "dumb squarehead" stereotype and laugh along with others at the Ole and Lena stories and de Norvegian yokes assuming that everyone knows that they're just humorous exaggerations. (And we aren't noted for having a sense of humor.)
    Uff da!

I like the squarehead designation.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well, as my mother used to say, "There must be something in all those corners."

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I know what you mean, ND.
    St. Patrick's Day is celebrated a lot more in England than St. George's Day, which passes by with barely a mention.
    It's all wrong.

Having said that, I refuse to celebrate any Christian special day at all.
    That includes Christmas and Easter.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts
    Well, we Austrians are known as a population who does things in a very haphazard way.

The area I have grown up in, Tyrol, is reputed for people wearing Lederhosen, a pointed hat, having beards, being remarkably swarthy and being remarkably unable to spend money ("the Tyrolese sleep on straw").

Having said that, it is good that you decided to celebrate your "National Day of Pride" in a right way. let the others get drunk as much as they want...
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Glad to see others share my view.Thanks everyone.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well its almost that time again for us Irish to put on our green wigs and fight drink and make ourselves look stupid. I cant wait YAY eyes: . This year wil be very interesting as i hear of Polish and African floats in the St Patricks day parade in Waterford (what ever that has to do with being Irish) . This year it might even be seen as racist for people to celebrate a day of Irishness. Its the Only day of the year im not proud of being an Irish man. Its a day for the non Irish men and women to be Irish for just one day. I get so depressed by this one day. You might think this is sad on my behalf but i feel so strongly against this as explained in the first post i made almost a year ago.
    Improvement makes straight roads but the crooked roads without improvment are roads of genius-----
    William Blake

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Storm
    I know what you mean, ND.
    St. Patrick's Day is celebrated a lot more in England than St. George's Day, which passes by with barely a mention.
    It's all wrong.

Having said that, I refuse to celebrate any Christian special day at all.
    That includes Christmas and Easter.
    Actually last year I took your words to my heart and asked 10 random people at Uni on April 23, what day it was. Coincidentally I happened to ask 5 Scots and 5 English. The fact that none of the English knew that it was St. Georges day but later admitted they had all been drinking on St. Patrick's was haunting enough but to be outperformed hopelessly by the Scots where 2 out 5 knew all the Patron Saints' Days should have been even more humiliating for them...but it wasn't, they couldn't care less...

Personally, I don't see St. George's Day as any Christian special day. In the OR, it is the day we hold Sigurd Blot, the festival of the homeland: and coming to think of it, Sigurd was indeed the myth the Christian's concocted St. George out of. So if you're going to celebrate a real April 23, celebrate my namesake not that George dude and his roses. And a celebration of the homeland (well if you're English; but even if not, doesn't prevent you from celebrating the Blot at that time) it is still!
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast