View Poll Results: Is it unethical to purchase and own Antiquities?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

2 10.53%
  • No.

17 89.47%
  • Don't know.

0 0%
  • Don't care.

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You Consider the Collecting of Antiquities To Be An Unethical Pursuit?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    @ Weg. I agree entirely with your last two paragraphs. Certainly dismantling a castle as you describe is an act of the grossest cultural vandalism.

Your first paragraph I can agree with as much as someone can, who likes to collect ancient things...

A Museum in general is indeed a safe and good place to preserve the artifacts which form a large part of a nations heritage, where they can be viewed by the most people.
    Unless and until the museum happens to burn down of course!

But aside from that admittedly rather rare occurrence, the one thing I will say is that most small-time collectors don't really compete in the same league with the museums, for the types of things Museums want to buy.

Only the fairly big private collections would contain the sorts of highly impressive objects which the museums of large cities put on display for their visitors. Most of the less eye-catching or historically less significant objects simply languish in the vaults and rarely if ever see the light of day or are available to be enjoyed by anyone.
    It is these types of objects which usually form the mainstay of the ordinary Antiquities market.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do you consider....

It is important that the provenance and stratigraphic position of the artifacts be preserved if possible. This rules out the activities of "pothunters" who merely excavate artifacts for sale, destroying their context and archeological value. However, if this has already been done and the artifacts are irrevocably divorced from their context, there is no harm in collecting them for their interest as curios and their artistic value. It would be best if artifacts which have been made available for purchase were to be made available by the purchaser for scientific study before being donated to a museum or, worse yet, immured indefinitely in the collector's cabinet of curios.
    HOWEVER, I am sick and tired of the holier-than-thou attitude of archeologists who utterly oppose any private possession or collection of antiquities. Once they have been studied, they are of no further use to the archeologist. It is time that the public got to enjoy them. And, what is to be said of those archeologists, far from few or rare, who collect and collect but NEVER PUBLISH ? Are they any less greedy and acquisitive than the wealthy æsthete who collects for his own enjoyment ? Then, there is also the equally holier-than-thou attitude of museums which, having discovered an artifact or an art work to be spurious, consign it to the basement storeroom. What harm would there be in displaying these things as unattributed objets d'art, to be appreciated not for historical value nor as examples of the work of a famous artist, but merely for their beauty ? Or, if the museum cannot bear to be associated with a spurious art work or artifact [nauseating hypocrisy, considering how many museums acquired them in the first place] then let them be sold for whatever they might bring as unattributed objets d'art. Granted, some wealthy collectors have entered into shady deals with pothunters and other vandalizers of antiquity. So have some museums (one in particular, which bears the same name as a brand of gasoline). This is reprehensible. Let the guilty, then, be punished, not the honest collector who buys an artifact or art work in good faith.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 13th, 2017 @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Mainly English, some Irish
    Subrace
    Nord-Atlantid
    Y-DNA
    R1B-L48
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Capricorn
    Politics
    Right-wing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No, there's a lot of minor objects that museums won't display. Also there's things connected to certain places which shouldn't really be put in a museum somewhere else.
    I found a Nazi letter stamper (for making the wax seals I think) in my garden, I was latter told by someone that German prisoners of war had built these houses (no wonder they're built so well).
    Anyway, I took it to the local museum to research it before but I kept it here for the time being, I don't want it to go next to some biased exhibit.

With more important objects I think they should go to museums, things of local or national importance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123