Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: The King Diamond Thread

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 @ 03:14 PM
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    NationalSocialist
    Religion
    agnosticist
    Posts
    370
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    The King Diamond Thread

    [Because it was getting off topic in "BM...Mayhem or Venom" thread, I think it would be better to carry on here. ]

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Storm
    'Them' was his most successful (commercially) album (it even made the US 'Hot Hundred' charts in 1988!), but I didn't like the production; it sounded a bit 'tinny', not enough bass.
    And it was a bit too American for my liking; little sister 'Missy', Dr. Landau, 'Grandma'.

    But I think any album after 'Abigail' would have been an anticlimax, as I was totally blown away by it.
    Having said that, my favourite KD song is probably 'Haunted', off the Fatal Portrait album.

    'The house is forever haunted... nothing you can do...' :runaway
    "Them" was not as good as Abigail. Them was absolutely fantastic, but Abigail is a monumental album...
    Regarding the rest of the KD albums, there are some which are considered to be boring/same. However, I believe that there are great tracks in them too. Examples:

    "Waiting" from "Graveyard"
    "From the other side", "Eastmann's cure" from "The spider's lullaby"
    "The exorcist", "Cross of Baron Samedi" from "Voodoo"
    "Just a shadow" from "House of god"
    I personally loved "Voodoo" and "The spider's lullaby", because I did not compare them with "Them" or "Abigail". Tracks like "Cross of Baron Samedi", "The exorcist", "Eastmanns cure" and "From the other side", I think that they are among King's best songs.

    Don't you agree that many successfull metal bands of our time would kill just to write similar songs?




    "Cups were rising...oh in thin air...and then empty on the floor...suddenly the door was open..and Grandma said...do come in my little friend..."
    -The invisible Guests, from "Them"
    ANAKTAS

    Magna Europa Est Patria Nostra

  2. #2
    New Member PsycholgclMishap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I thought the storyline on The Puppet Master was absolutely killer. And The Graveyard is one of my favorites. People knock it too much.
    I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

    ...that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.

    ...that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

    ...that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

    ...in the complete freedom of thought and speech...

    ...in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.

    ...in the reality of progress.

    I - But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie...to be free than to be a slave...to know than be ignorant.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Alizon Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Gender
    Posts
    466
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Im still amazed by the transformation of sound quality from Mercyful Fate's last album and KD's first.
    'Don't Break the Oath' has some great songs on it, but the guitars are so tinny and screechy, and some of the riffs go on twice as long as necessary (which IMO was one of Black Sabbath's bad habits).

    Then, along comes 'Fatal portrait'. Far more keyboards, great production and much better guitars (thanks to Andy la Roque).
    My first disappointment with KD came, not so much with 'Them' (I knew the album after Abigail would not better it), but with Conspiracy.
    It seemed to be trying to cash in on the success of 'Them'.

    The Eye was a brave and honourable attempt to get back to the band's roots, but Conspiracy had knocked my faith in KD terminally, so I never bought subsequent albums.

    I only found out from this Thread that they released an album called 'Voodoo'.
    'Voodoo' for God's sake!
    I will never listen to that album.

    'I'm having your baby, my love...' but it wasn't love. She was possessed. And he knew.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 @ 03:14 PM
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    NationalSocialist
    Religion
    agnosticist
    Posts
    370
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Storm
    My first disappointment with KD came, not so much with 'Them' (I knew the album after Abigail would not better it), but with Conspiracy.
    It seemed to be trying to cash in on the success of 'Them'..
    I agree. Conspiracy was pointless and rather disappointing...


    Quote Originally Posted by Night Storm
    I only found out from this Thread that they released an album called 'Voodoo'.
    'Voodoo' for God's sake!
    I will never listen to that album.
    Big mistake of yours, in my opinion.
    :thumbsdow


    "We know you've come to inherit what's yours...THE MANSION...
    Take our advice and go back on this night...
    If you refuse 18 will become 9...
    18 is 9....

    Johnathan laughed and said, get outta my way...
    I don't believe a word you say..."
    ANAKTAS

    Magna Europa Est Patria Nostra

  5. #5
    New Member PsycholgclMishap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anaktas
    I agree. Conspiracy was pointless and rather disappointing...
    Whaaat? You're crazy! Conspiracy was a great album! Some people say the last of the good KD albums...
    I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

    ...that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.

    ...that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

    ...that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

    ...in the complete freedom of thought and speech...

    ...in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.

    ...in the reality of progress.

    I - But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie...to be free than to be a slave...to know than be ignorant.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 @ 03:14 PM
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    NationalSocialist
    Religion
    agnosticist
    Posts
    370
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap
    Whaaat? You're crazy! Conspiracy was a great album! Some people say the last of the good KD albums...
    Conspiracy was dissappointing because it is compared with Them. And this is not a random choice, it seems that KD wanted us to compare Them with Conspiracy because he created a sequel of the story presented in Them. A rather pointless sequel, I'd say.


    "Let us go inside...Something's on THEIR mind...
    THEY are still alive...can you feel THEIR eyes?"

    Now that you have stuck with me you'd better be my friend!!!
    ANAKTAS

    Magna Europa Est Patria Nostra

  7. #7
    Senior Member Alizon Device's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Gender
    Posts
    466
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap
    Whaaat? You're crazy! Conspiracy was a great album! Some people say the last of the good KD albums...
    Conspiracy was so contrived.
    The 'Them' storyline didn't have the legs for a sequel, I think it was a bit conceited of KD (the man) to write it.
    Musically and production-wise it was good ('Sleepless Nights' is a great, sad song), but I felt disappointed and a bit empty after rushing home to play it for the first time.

    'So he pushed her down the stairs, to die! No! She cried. In 1777, on the 7th day of July'.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Last Online
    Tuesday, August 1st, 2006 @ 03:14 PM
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    NationalSocialist
    Religion
    agnosticist
    Posts
    370
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that "The Wedding dream" starts a bit foolishly...

    "Now I hear THEM again singing...Twilight Symphony...!'
    ANAKTAS

    Magna Europa Est Patria Nostra

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Monday, June 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM
  2. Namibia's Diamond Industry
    By Liberator Germaniae in forum Southern Africa
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Monday, March 26th, 2007, 11:55 PM
  3. Guns, Germs, and Steel (Jared Diamond)
    By Siegfried in forum Literature & Book Reviews
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Tuesday, March 22nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
  4. Jewish 'Diamond Merchant' Caught Trying to Smuggle Missles Into the US
    By PathofIce in forum Articles & Current Affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Wednesday, November 26th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •