Flemish
    Country
    Flanders Flanders
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Post Long Bones Growth Variation

LONG BONES GROWTH VARIATION AMONG PREHISTORIC AGRICULTURAL AND PASTORAL POPULATIONS FROM UKRAINE (BRONZE ERA TO IRON AGE) PIONTEK J., JERSZYŃSKA B., SEGEDA S. 2001.

Abstract: The authors attempted to determine the tendencies in the development of long bones (femur and tibia) in the Bronze Era and Iron Age agricultural and pastoral populations (differing with adaptive strategies used) from Ukraine. A total of 79 skeletons of individuals who had died at the age of 1 to 13 years were examined. This number included 55 skeletons from the Bronze Era (15 individuals from the population of farmers, and 40 individuals from the population of herders) and 24 skeletons from the Iron Age (12 farmers and 12 herders). The results of the research indicate that subadults in pastoral populations were taller than subadults in agricultural populations. This could have resulted in their greater body height in adulthood as well as in different body proportions (herders had relatively long tibia and higher stature, while farmers had relatively short tibia and smaller body height).

Source: http://hum.amu.edu.pl/~anthro/ve_pdf/vol009/6pion2.pdf

JANUSZ PIONTEK1, BLANDYNA JERSZYŃSKA1, SERGIY SEGEDA2
    1 Adam Mickiewicz University, Institute of Anthropology, Poznań, Poland
    2 Ukrainian Academy of Science, Institute of Archaeology, Kiev, Ukraine

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Post Re: Long Bones Growth Variation

This article is highly recommended and a must read!

Thanks again for posting it Franz!

This is one of the first works in recent times which absolutely confirmed my theory that the major shift in body proportions in modern humans with the exception of extreme cold or in region with extremely poor nutrition is mainly determined by the social organization and subsistence pattern.

That the biggest differences in Europe occur between Palaeolithical groups which adapted themselves to the new economy and higher fertility rates (f.e. Alpinids) and such groups coming from the South or developed from UP too which adapted themselves to the herder economy and nomadic-strongly organized patriarchalic organization (Nordids, Atlantids)

This resulting in a type with long range (longer arms and legs), a more Leptomorphic head and body and more adapted for war and going after long distances.

Because I think that such similarities between herder groups in tempered and warm climate are not by chance and that the physical and mental characteristics formed a highly specialized variant of nomadic herders/warriors and semi-nomadic combined economy (herders-mobile farmers) with a strong warrior oriented societies.

I just hope that some scientists go further on that and probably determine the exact influence by nutrition and the exact reproduction rates of the different types.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 09:17 PM
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa
    This article is highly recommended and a must read!

Thanks again for posting it Franz!

This is one of the first works in recent times which absolutely confirmed my theory that the major shift in body proportions in modern humans with the exception of extreme cold or in region with extremely poor nutrition is mainly determined by the social organization and subsistence pattern.

Cold alone probably doesn't affect the proportions, as much as the nutrition that is available at high latitudes.

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atlanto-med
    Cold alone probably doesn't affect the proportions, as much as the nutrition that is available at high latitudes.
    Do you mean ontogenetic or in populations by selection?

In individuals I know that you can see malnutrition and diseases in the long bones best (Harris lines), therefore influence by nutrition might be possible.
    Better nutrition makes people taller and gives them longer legs in general, although the difference seems just too big for that time and region between agrarians and herders.

In population its another question.
    Because if its about selection there are examples of cold-related shorteing of the legs (Lappids, Eskimids, Tungids and Mongolids in general).

But of course, I think its in that case (Southern Russia, Ukraine) more related to what I stated: The antagonism of herder-warrior and farmer subsistence. The advantage of higher fertility rates in settled economies with poor nutrition and many diseases - more children are dying but some will survive can play a role as the authors stated too.
    So far I dont favouring the concept of r-/K selection if its about farmers/herders although I think it played a secondary role, but I keep it in mind and this article gave me new material.

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 09:17 PM
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa
    In population its another question.
    Because if its about selection there are examples of cold-related shorteing of the legs (Lappids, Eskimids, Tungids and Mongolids in general).
    I suspect that a difference in food supply must be responsible to explain why some temperate races are taller than others.

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atlanto-med
    I suspect that a difference in food supply must be responsible to explain why some temperate races are taller than others.
    For height food supply is decisive, for body proportions is cold/climate more important.