In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Childbirth at Home as Safe as Hospital Delivery

Childbirth at Home as Safe as Hospital Delivery: Study
    Review finds no increased problems for low-risk women

Women who choose to give birth at home with the help of a certified midwife have deliveries that are as safe as those done in a hospital, Canadian researchers report.

"Home birth is a reasonable option for low-risk women," said lead researcher Kenneth C. Johnson.

"In this low-risk group of women who had births with midwives at home, we found that the overall safety was similar to what you would find in a hospital in a similar low-risk group," added Johnson, a senior epidemiologist with the Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Control at the Public Health Agency of Canada, in Ottawa.

Moreover, evidence from the study supports the American Public Health Association's recommendation that home deliveries with certified midwives should be increased in the United States, he said.

The study appears in the June 18 issue of the British Medical Journal.

Johnson and colleague Betty-Anne Daviss collected data on over 5,400 women who had planned to deliver their babies at home in 2000. These women all had the help of a certified midwife.

When it came time to deliver, 655 of the women transferred to the hospital instead at the start of labor, the researchers reported. "Only about 3 percent of these women had what the midwife perceived as an urgent transport," Johnson said. "The outcomes of these transfers turned out to be fine, by and large."

For the remaining women who had a home delivery, the death rate of newborns was 1.7 per 1,000 planned home births. This rate is similar to that of low-risk home and hospital births shown in other studies done in North America, the researchers noted.

Johnson pointed out that in Canada and Europe, midwives deliver most babies. "It's only in the United States among developed countries that midwives are still involved in only a very small percent of deliveries, and that home birth is rare and unacceptable to the obstetric and gynecology profession," he said.

Despite these findings, one expert thinks home delivery is not a good idea. "I am not a big fan of home deliveries," said Dr. Rachel Masch, an assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at New York University School of Medicine.

"I understand why women want to have them," she said. "And I understand that the literature we have today supports that there isn't any worse outcome for them versus the low-risk hospital delivery if you are screened properly. Although, as an obstetrician who sees a lot of things that happen bad quickly, I think that I have somewhat of a jaded view," Masch said.

Masch is concerned that when complications set in, they do so quickly and need immediate attention. Women who appear to be at low-risk can fall prey to problems during birth that weren't anticipated, or may have conditions that were not known, which can affect the delivery. Being in a hospital allows these women to get immediate care, which can save their lives and their babies' lives, she said, adding, "There are examples that I see frequently."

But another expert finds nothing but positives in increasing the numbers of home deliveries.

"The data we have so far suggests that over-medicalizing the process of labor and delivery adds cost without improving outcomes," said Dr. David L. Katz, director of the Prevention Research Center and an associate clinical professor of epidemiology and public health at Yale University School of Medicine.

"Building the option of home birth into the routine of obstetrical care for women at low risk of complications is worthy of serious consideration," he added.

Source
    Lík börn leika best.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I believe that it's more natural this way. Should we ever decide to have another child, I will opt for a midwife and home birth, rather than the artificial sterility found in conventional medical institutions. I basically work in hospitals for a living, and while there are a few that I have developed a liking for, I will still rather have a home delivery. It's very comforting to the mother and reduces stress. The relaxed home atmosphere takes pressure off of the new mom and provides a feeling of comfort to everyone involved. Of course, higher risk pregnancies should be delivered in more proper environments, like hospitals.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 11th, 2007 @ 11:53 PM
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid? + East-Baltid?
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My mother had all three of her children at home, the first (me:-) without even a midwife. This a good and natural thing. Why should we give our most basic processes over to strangers and foreign environments?!
    Wake, Jotun, wake! Shake, Jotun, shake! Burn and blow, rain and snow! Wake, Jotun, wake!

Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have given childbirth much thought over the past ten years and since I was "old enough" to know about the process I decided if I was ever to have children I would do it at home.

I love kids but they are not for me right now!
    I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking.

...that no discovery of fact, however trivial, can be wholly useless to the race, and that no trumpeting of falsehood, however virtuous in intent, can be anything but vicious.

...that all government is evil, in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

...that the evidence for immortality is no better than the evidence of witches, and deserves no more respect.

...in the complete freedom of thought and speech...

...in the capacity of man to conquer his world, and to find out what it is made of, and how it is run.

...in the reality of progress.

I - But the whole thing, after all, may be put very simply. I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie...to be free than to be a slave...to know than be ignorant.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifsvina
    Why should we give our most basic processes over to strangers and foreign environments?!
    Because Hospital CEO's like to be rich. They have convinced modern society that we need to be hospitalized for every minor accident or cold. Childbirth is a huge market and hospital CEO's are capitalists foremost and "health care providers" only by default.

Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by folkish
    Because Hospital CEO's like to be rich. They have convinced modern society that we need to be hospitalized for every minor accident or cold. Childbirth is a huge market and hospital CEO's are capitalists foremost and "health care providers" only by default.
    Rhetorical question but thanks;-) Gods forbid someone succumb to the natural cycle of life and, gasp, die! eyes:
    Wake, Jotun, wake! Shake, Jotun, shake! Burn and blow, rain and snow! Wake, Jotun, wake!

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifsvina
    Rhetorical question but thanks;-) Gods forbid someone succumb to the natural cycle of life and, gasp, die! eyes:
    A rhetorical question that needs an answer!

Last Online
    Subrace
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Occupation
    Historical Costumer
    Politics
    NS leanings
    Religion
    Folkish Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    :-) As well as training us from birth that we must depend on "the system" and on modern technology rather than ourselves and traditional methods.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, June 11th, 2006 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As a health care professional I can say that hospitals require much more attention: our immune system grows accustomed to the bacteriae living at our homes. Hospitals are a high source of bacteriae - and we usually are not prepared to fight them when our defences are struggling against some illness our performing a delivery.

That is the reason why great care in antisepsis and assepsis is taken- a slight infection can mean death in a short while.

Rubber gloves were introduced in the XIX Century by an estonian MD, von Manteuffel, precisely because of infections caused during delivery, the so-called "Birth Fever".

Although nowadays things are quite different, there are some aspects we should consider, like the budgetary orientations of the hospitals.

A hospital bed is expensive and, nowadays, patients are sent home as soon as possible. Sometimes complications arise when the patients do not comply to the instructions given or failed to understand directives.

Living in a welfare state, I can say that all treatments are available here in FInland, but I know that things are quite different in countries like the U.S.. When you call for an ambulance in the States, the first question they ask you is whether you have an insurance or not. If not, you are pretty much doomed.
    The same goes for all the treatments - although they may exist, you might not be able to afford them, or your insurance company can always find a legal argument no to pay for them.

To add to that, primiparous women tend to be more relaxed and feel more security at home.

Therefore, in my opinion, childbirth at home can be not as safe as hospital delivery but, in some case, even safer.

Plenty of research has been done on the subject, especially here in Finland. You can find many abstracts in Medline or Elsevier-Science Direct if you look for the 'birth at home', etc. keywords.