Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Post The Northern Lights...

...were tremendous last night where I live. I've seen them many times and this was by far the best show I've ever seen. I'm lucky in that I live on a hill top in the countryside where there are no lights and we have a nearly 360 degree view of the sky.

I went out at around 7:30 to look for our feline friends and fetch them in so that they don't become a Coyote's supper and lo-and-behold there were the Northern Lights! It was the whole gamut; beams, curtains, red, green, a pale off-white....all of which lead drectly overhead to the zenith which was a reddish blobular mass of charged ions swirling around.

links:

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora/

http://www.ptialaska.net/~hutch/aurora.html

http://virtual.finland.fi/finfo/engl..._borealis.html

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, February 9th, 2006 @ 08:40 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: the Northern Lights...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    Perhaps someone could report their southernmost sighting of the Lights and we could get an idea of how far South they can be seen.
    Antarctica (Aurora Australis)!

„Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2021 @ 09:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    Dalonord, you must live pretty far North. I have never seen the Northern Lights. I consider you quite lucky. Perhaps someone could report their southernmost sighting of the Lights and we could get an idea of how far South they can be seen.

Not very far actually--just north of the 44th parallel. I am actually closer to the equator than to the North Pole....of course 45 degrees north-lat being the half-way point.

Anyway, this thread was started back in October when there was a great deal of solar flare activity. I haven't seen the lights since although I received an email alert today that reads:

"Several solar eruptions on the 19th and 20th of January have sent material our way. This material is expected to buffet Earth's magnetosphere on Thursday the 22nd and may produce significant auroral activity on the 22nd and on the 23rd.

If an aurora occurs, it will be most likely visible during the hours of 10 pm to 2 am; those in a very dark location far from outdoor lighting will have the best chances of seeing faint displays. Look for the Northern Lights overhead and toward the northern horizon. The moon is just past New and will not contribute glare to the night sky."

I attribute my own, many personal sightings, not so much to my lattitude but more to the fact that there are no lights to speak of nearby and the natural lights of the sky are quite evident.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Lightbulb Northern Lights

After a recent massive solar flare eruption there might be increased auroral activity during the next few weeks, maybe even visible in Central Europe.

Explanation:

Northern lights, mostly called aurora, are the fluttering lights that can be observed in the sky over the northernmost parts of the world. A similar light is located over the southernmost parts of the world; it is called southern lights. Together the northern- and southern lights are called polar lights.
    The Latin word for northern lights, Aurora Borealis, was first used in the early seventeenth century. Aurora was the goddess of dawn, i.e. red light of dawn, in ancient Roman mythology and Borealis means northerly. A translation would be the northerly light of dawn. The Latin word for southern lights is Aurora Australis, the southerly light of dawn. Also the Lappish word for auroras, guovsahas, is related to the light of dawn.
    On the following pages you will be told, hopefully in a not too complicated way, about auroras. You can read a little bit about why there are auroras, how different auroras can look, some history and something about research on auroras.
    For those who are interested there is a page with tips about how to see auroras.
    You will find that some of the words in the text are green. This means that they can be found in the enclosed dictionary. A link to the dictionary is found at the top and bottom of each page.
    The pictures in the text are very small, since the pages should be easy to download. If you want a larger picture just click on the one desired.
    Table of Contentshttp://quasar.irf.se/norrsken/Norrsken_mainpage.html
    Links:
    Space Weather Center
    Space Weather Now
    Tips on Viewing the Aurora
    Tolerance is a proof of distrust in one's own ideals. Friedrich Nietzsche

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Post AW: the Northern Lights...

After a recent massive solar flare eruption there might be increased auroral activity during the next few weeks, maybe even visible in Central Europe.

Explanation:

Northern lights, mostly called aurora, are the fluttering lights that can be observed in the sky over the northernmost parts of the world. A similar light is located over the southernmost parts of the world; it is called southern lights. Together the northern- and southern lights are called polar lights.
    The Latin word for northern lights, Aurora Borealis, was first used in the early seventeenth century. Aurora was the goddess of dawn, i.e. red light of dawn, in ancient Roman mythology and Borealis means northerly. A translation would be the northerly light of dawn. The Latin word for southern lights is Aurora Australis, the southerly light of dawn. Also the Lappish word for auroras, guovsahas, is related to the light of dawn.
    On the following pages you will be told, hopefully in a not too complicated way, about auroras. You can read a little bit about why there are auroras, how different auroras can look, some history and something about research on auroras.
    For those who are interested there is a page with tips about how to see auroras.
    You will find that some of the words in the text are green. This means that they can be found in the enclosed dictionary. A link to the dictionary is found at the top and bottom of each page.
    The pictures in the text are very small, since the pages should be easy to download. If you want a larger picture just click on the one desired.
    Table of Contentshttp://quasar.irf.se/norrsken/Norrsken_mainpage.html
    Links:
    Space Weather Center
    Space Weather Now
    Tips on Viewing the Aurora

Last Online
    Saturday, March 7th, 2020 @ 04:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I had the pleasure of observing the Aurora Borealis flying over Southern Canada. It was a beautiful and amazing thing! The colors were so bright and numerous. Those pictures do not do them justice.

SOURCE: NASA

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Recently, it happened a similar phenomenon on north-eastern italian Alps. To be exact in Cortina D'ampezzo.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2021 @ 09:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Cortina?! Remember I told you that I've been there? My first time ever skiing outside of "home"

A beautiful place for a beautiful event!

I haven't seen the Lights since earlier in the summer. With autumn approaching and clearer skies, the probability will be on the increase...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast