Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Wicca, the Modern Name for Traditional Witchcraft and Folk Magic

Wicca is a common and much older name for witchcraft. The term witchcraft has been defined in different ways. In the past it has most often referred to the human harnessing of supernatural powers for the malevolent purpose of practicing black magic. For this reason, witchcraft, sorcery, and magic are nearly synonymous. Witchcraft is not, however, synonymous with Satanism. Not all witches worship Satan, and in fact most do not believe in Satan at all. Nor do they believe in hell, evil, or original sin. These groups believe that Satan is an imaginary creation of the Christian Church. If they believe in Satan at all they will tell you that the devil is just another Christian diety. They also do not believe in demons, and their deities are considered to be "imminent", or within each of us, meaning that everyone is actually deity.

A few groups do, however, worship Satan. During the Middle Ages, witchcraft experienced a great revival. The supernatural became very popular and superstition abounded. If someone wanted to become a witch, there was an initiation process. Some of the techniques were simple and some were complicated, but there were usually two requirements. The first was that the would-be witch must join of his or her own free will. The second requirement was that the prospective witch must be willing to worship the devil. Modern day witches, however, are not typically Satan worshipers.

Much like the New Age Movement, most Wiccans do not accept the belief that there is good or evil. They argue that there are only forces that must be balanced. Evil is just a necessary part of good and the negative can be transmuted into the positive (a basic belief of medieval alchemy). While political views are not universal among witches, most support neo-tolerance. There is no absolute truth. What's true for you may not be true for me, so everything is true, just pick one. They also are strong supporters of women's rights and matriarchy, sexual "freedom" (including homosexuality, polyamory, non-monogamy, sexual activity by teens), abortion, and the abolition of Christianity from public life, especially in schools and governmental functions. In recent years there have been lawsuits filed by Pagans against such things as "In God We Trust", student-led prayer in schools, the Ten Commandments, and Christian symbols, such as the Cross, in city and county seals. However, many are also active in getting the schools to teach the Wiccan holidays (Halloween, Winter Solstice, etc.), pagan elements of "Earth Day", and Pagan symbolism. An ally in the fight to introduce pagan earth worship into the schools is found in the United Nations as they are working to promote the Earth Charter in education, a document that contains much pagan tradition and doctrine.

Modern day Wiccans tend to distance themselves from Christianity because of what they claim is the proliferation of a patriarchal male-dominated religion that has historically ignored the role of women in the church and society. Traditionally, however, there have been as many, if not more, male witches/sorcerers than female in some pagan circles (e.g., the Druids). While not a religion for women only, today witchcraft is very much a female dominated religion.

The definitive start of the modern witchcraft era began with Gerald Gardner (1884-1964). As an archaeologist, Gardner had accumulated an extensive occult background. While in Southeast Asia, he learned the secrets of the Malaysian magical knife and became a Mason and a nudist. In 1939 when he returned to England an avid occultist, he became a member of the Corona Fellowship of Rosicrucians where he met Dorothy Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck initiated Gardner into witchcraft. Gordon wrote two books, one of which he claimed was to record accurately the history and practice of witchcraft, as he felt it was dying out. J. Gordon Melton stated in his review of Gardner's book Witchcraft Today, "Research suggests that Gardner did not discover a pre-existing Witchcraft group". A paper by Gardner published by Ripley's Believe it or Not disclosed that Gardner took the magical resources he acquired in Asia and a selection of Western magical texts and created a new religion centered upon the worship of the Mother-Goddess."

This was an important beginning in witchcraft, for it is the worship of the Mother-Goddess that has become the focus of modern witchcraft. From Gardner's writings, greatly influenced by Aleister Crowley, Theosophy, Freemasonry, ritual/sex magic, and numerous other occult sources, emerged modern day Wicca.

Wicca beliefs and practices

There are a wide variety of beliefs and practices in modern day Wicca. However, despite the pluralism and diversity, distinct principles derived from Gardnerian Wicca are common to most modern witches. Some of these beliefs are as follows:

* Everyone has the divine (or goddess) within.
    * One should develop natural gifts for divination or occult magic (often spelled 'magick' by occultists.)
    * Divine forces or nature spirits are invoked in rituals.
    * The Goddess, as either a symbol or a real entity, is the focus of worship.
    * Nature and the earth are sacred manifestations of the Goddess.
    * Everyone has his or her own spiritual path to follow.
    * Rituals and celebrations are linked to the seasons and moon phases.
    * Meditation, visualization, invocation (calling on forces or gods/goddesses), chanting, burning candles and special rituals trigger a sense of the mystical, thus reinforcing the core belief system.

These beliefs will often be mixed with a combination of mystical traditions, Celtic or Norse paganism, Greek and Roman goddess worship, ancient Egyptian spirituality, Eastern Shamanism, or even Native American spiritual practices depending on the group. All of these groups revere nature, support peace, and believe society cannot be at peace if we are out of harmony with nature or are mistreating Mother Earth (also known as Gaia, the name of a pagan goddess given to Earth). This aspect of Wicca is very similar to the New Age Religion supported by the United Nations and many of it's members, NGO's and leaders. Divination techniques such as tarot cards, astrology, runes, the I Ching (from Chinese Taoism), clairvoyant or psychic readings, candle magick and other occult practices are not only common but encouraged by most groups.

Similar to Hinduism, the serpent is believed by Wiccans to be a symbol of eternal life and female spiritual awakening or power. In Hinduism, yoga and meditation results in enlightenment from awakening the kundalini, or power known as the serpent power believed to be coiled at the base of the spine. Other symbols used in witchcraft are:

* Pentagram and pentacle - A 5-pointed star used for protection, spells, conjuring, etc.
    * The Ankh - Egyptian cross-like symbol with a loop at the top associated with the worship of Isis.
    * The Crescent Moon - A symbol of the Goddess also used in Islam.
    * Crystals - believed to contain healing and spiritual properties. Crystals are also used by many other new age cults.

One hurdle that will have to be crossed in witnessing to a person involved in Wicca is their lack of belief in a need for forgiveness or salvation. To the witch, there is no sin therefore no need for forgiveness. There is no need for salvation, as there is nothing to be saved from. The main tenet of Wicca is the "Wiccan Rede" which states "And it harm none, do as ye will". Basically, as long as you don't hurt anyone, anything goes. Of course, views of what actually causes harm vary from person to person. Most also believe that whatever you do will come back to you three-fold, so it pays to be careful. Some, however, believe that it is sometimes acceptable to cause harm as long as you are willing to accept the karmic consequence.

Views of an afterlife vary widely among groups. Witches do not believe in a heaven or hell and will usually espouse the concept of karma and endless reincarnation. Backed up by "memories" of "past lives" they insist the idea of living only once is ridiculous. Others believe in reincarnation until enlightenment, or endless rebirth until such time as the person is enlightened enough to pass on to some other existence. Again, what makes a person enlightened varies from person to person. Still others will openly admit they have no idea what will happen after death and say the will find out when they get there.

As you can see, the beliefs of Wiccans fit very well into the humanist religion that has become so widespread in modern society. As with other humanist religions everything goes as long as it doesn't oppose their claim to being god/godess or hold them accountable to a higher power. It is this point that makes Christianity the only faith they will bend the "anything goes" rule for. To them it is intolerant to believe in an absolute truth and they will often take it as an insult to be told there is evil in the world and we all sin. This is one of the biggest obstacles to sharing your faith with Wiccans and other humanist groups.

Source

Last Online
    Saturday, April 4th, 2009 @ 02:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid/Atlantid.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Looking
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wicca, sold out. It was actually pretty good back when Gardner formulated the 100 laws of Wicca, and they performed sexual rites and maintained secrecy. Now they are totally fluffy without any true knowledge of ancient pagan practices, and without the desire to truly reconstruct paganism. I have much more respect for the Reconstructionist pagans who are educated and actually READ. One must acknowledge that true paganism had 'dark' elements in it, they were much more in touch with nature and the Animalian spirit.
    SVMDEVSSVMCAESARSVMCAELVMETINFERNVM

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 11:03 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    124 Posts
    Wicca is a belief that in my opinion takes a lot from other believes, but due to some illogical things arising from that, the spirituality is not in it. Besides it is all commercial in the first place, and it is a philosophy, so doesnt in this way differ from christianity, my sworn enemy. Long live organic religions, such as Asatru, early death to all those that pervert true Heathendom. Wiccans are not real Heathens. We don't want them.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Black Sun
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wicca/New Age Paganism

I'm interested in people's views on Wicca and what I would describe as "New Age" Paganism - the kind of post modern "pick and mix" belief system which seems to form the basis of the majority of visible Pagan practice at the moment.

I get the feeling - particularly having looked over this thread (admittedly there aren't that many comments) that generally Heathens don't have that high opinion of it/them.

If that is the case, why?

Speaking personally, the Wiccan/New Age end of things was until recently my only exposure to "traditional European" religion and the conflict between my own feelings (which were/are very strong) and what I saw as those feelings given expression (which - sorry if I offend anyone - appeared silly), caused me some anguish.

Watching a seemingly recently concocted (and clumsily executed) pagan ritual on the seafront last year when everything was dedicated to an Egyptian god. My gut reaction was to question the relevance of a god from thousands of years ago and thousands of miles away to me, and to feel embarrassed by it all.

It wasn't until I quite recently became (very superficially) aware of Heathenism that I stopped thinking I was either going mad or suffering from the spiritual equivalent of wind.

I suppose what I'm looking for is other people's views on what the differences are between Heathenism and the "mainstream" which, at this point, will help me put words to my feelings and perhaps guide me.

(Although the threads on the differences between Heathenism and Paganism are very informative and interesting, they don't seem to answer my question.)

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 10:43 PM
    Ethnicity
    New Zealand European
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish, Icelandic, Scandinavian, Irish
    Subrace
    Hallstatt Keltic Nordid
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Elvish monarch
    Religion
    Norse Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Wiccans are like Celtic Druids and worship water, nature(trees and animals), fire and the sun. They remember the dead too.

The Horned god:
    Pan

or
    Cernunnos

The Sun god: Lugh

The Green man

Oak King

Holly King

Triple Goddesses/Brigid: (Crone/old lady of wisdom, young lady of youth and new beginnings, mother of fertility )

Cerridwen: Welsh; Goddess of the Moon and Harvest.
    She is often seen as part of the Triple Goddess. Passion: Beauty and Sustenance.

Earth Goddess

Ostara

........................................ ........................................ ................

Wiccan beliefs vary markedly between different traditions and individual practitioners. The five main Wiccan elements - Air, Water, Fire, Earth and Aether or Spirit.the Goddess commonly being symbolised as the Earth/ Mother Earth or Moon Goddess , which complements the God being viewed as the Sun. Traditionally the God is viewed as a Horned God, associated with nature, wilderness, sexuality, hunting and the life cycle.At other times the God is viewed as the Green Man or Sun God. Wiccans who believe in reincarnation believe that the soul rests between lives in the Otherworld or Summerland.Holidays are Samhain,Yuletide,Imbolc,Beltaine,Litha,L ughnasadh and Mabon. The Horned God is born in winter, impregnates the Goddess and then dies during the autumn and winter months and is then reborn by the Goddess at Yule. Sex is part of nature and sacred to the Deities and Witches. Just like everyone else, we think it's wonderful. The Great Rite at Beltane is a symbolic representation of the union between the Goddess and God resulting in the creation of all that exists. Very few, if any, traditions engage in sex as a part of group rites and there are no orgies during ritual. Many couples who have chosen each other, and jointly follow the path, do use sex magick in their private rites and rituals, however. It is a deeply intimate sharing of body, spirit and soul which bonds them together closer than anything else can. The term skyclad means "Clad only by the sky". Not all Witches perform rituals skyclad, but there are those who believe that the absence of clothing allows energy to transfer to and from them more freely. Many simply feel closer to the Goddess and God while in their natural form without the bindings of human technology, insecurities or socially retarded inhibitions regarding the human form. Many wear a robe or some other clothing made of natural materials while participating in group activities and go skyclad only when observing rites alone or with their mate. Regardless, going skyclad during ritual is in no way a sexual act, it is a deeply spiritual one for those who "choose" to do so.

There are anti Racist Wiccans and anti racist Heathens but both seem to be a proud of their heritage. Germanic people prefer to be called heathens, Odinist ,Asatru, Wotanist and not Pagans, because the term Pagan is a not a Germanic word. Celtic people are called Pagans or Druids. Wiccan was created by White people just like the others. There are non Whites and gays in all religions.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 10:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Western
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Not all Wiccans worship Celtic deities, Druidry being an entirely different religion . Most describe their beliefs as "eccletic", because they can't just stick with one, kind like going grocery shopping with pagan gods. This could include Egyptian, Roman, Greek, Native American, or the ever ambiguous "Neolithic Goddess" (ie Feminist cult)
    I've never placed much validity on Wiccans, new age spirituality is a parody of traditional religions.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    GPWW
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German & Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Germany, German Switzerland, Norway
    Subrace
    Paternal Haplogroup I2b1
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Colorado Colorado
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Protective Services, Writer
    Politics
    Teutonic Advocate
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Value Neutral

No need to reiterate much of which has been said.

Wicca is non-Christian, marginally Pagan in the European tradition and thoroughly modern and eclectic, i.e. value free or value neutral "do what thou wilt but do no harm".

As a Teutonic Heathen I welcome the non-Semitic religions in cautioned regard, and look for common ground only so long as that trait is returned in kind.

It remains to be seen if the liberal democratic [culturally Marxist] strain will survice within Wicca. This is the central danger we must guard against as Folkish Heathens, because Wicca is to Heathenism what the Bolsheviks were to the Mencheviks.