View Poll Results: Do you practise Heathendom?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do, and I attend all important celebrations and pray to the Gods

72 45.28%
  • Yes, I do, but I don't take it so serious, I don't attend any celebrations and stuff.

45 28.30%
  • I'm just interested in Norse mythology and history, not in the belief of my ancestors.

24 15.09%
  • No, I'm not really into Heathendom.

10 6.29%
  • other please explain

8 5.03%
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Practice Your Belief?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Sunday, October 6th, 2019 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Skåne and North Frisia
    Country
    Iceland Iceland
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

Do You Practice Your Belief?

You probably read a lot about heathendom, about the religion of our ancestors. You know the Edda and all Gods. Maybe you've already attended a Blot or a midsummer celebration.

But do you really believe in the religion of the Norse?
    Do you really practise it?
    Are you still a member of the christian church?
    Just intrested in what's Heathendom all about?

Please drop a few lines about your personal connection to the Norse Gods.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think the most enlightening things about our beliefs is that it allows for the believer to adjust and adapt aspects to his or her life. My beliefs cannot be summed up in a few words and a poll.

The gods, to me, are glorified personifications of mankinds personalities. They are tools used to understand the greater scheme of things; to help people build a life of decency, with values and pride in what you are, and where you came from. The Gods, to me, although wonderful and enchanting, are a human invention, and as I said before, are learning tools. I love reading about them, and I respect them and I believe, because mankind has always felt the need to place a human face on the Greater Being, no matter what region or race.

My ultimate beliefs lie within the Earth and the Universe. The Earth is our Mother and our home. We are born of the earth, from her soil we arose and to her soil we shall return. We do not magically disappear when we die, but instead we decay, turn to dust and are absorbed by her.

But alas! We are not simply shells walking around, waiting to die! We have life-force; pure energy inside of us that guides our path. Everything has life-force, but man is not always able to see it, so we think that things are inanimate, but there is nothing that does not possess at least some life-force.

But do you really believe in the religion of the Norse?
    As stated above, I believe in a religion of the Earth. A life of relative simplicity, in harmony with our natural surroundings. Respectful of our Mother and respectful and loving to our brothers and sisters. I believe in a religion of the Family; a clan, bonded by blood, who have given oaths to love and protect and fight for each other, no matter how fierce an enemy may lie in our path. I believe in religion of the Homestead; that we may claim a part of this earth as home, and that the children of that home, no matter where they go, can always claim that land as their home, no matter how many generations have passed. We may use the earths natural resources to build a structure that will in turn provide structure in our lives, a basic building block to provide a foundation, both physically and spiritually. I believe in a religion of ancestry and roots. That we are like trees in that we have roots, our ancestry, our beginnings. Those roots are behind, or underneath us, and they are buried and run deep, providing another foundation in our lives. The future lies before us, or above us, and as we grow older, we also grow higher. To obtain true balance, one must have deep roots, but reach for the future as well.

Do you really practise it?
    I practice my beliefs every single day and I now that my efforts are appreciated because everytime I am in the presence of nature, I can feel the bond in my bones and in my blood, and I know that what I am doing is right.

Are you still a member of the christian church?
    Absolutely not.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am pretty much on par with the beliefs of Folkish....yet I am still prone to automatically trace the hammer in the air to protect my belongings, my homestead and sapling trees......Trace the Valknot....Give a respectful hail to any Raven that passes my way. Pour beer & food offerings to the dwarves...Draw the Helm of Terror to repel enemies etc.....

I have studied Norsk/Teutonic mythology and have found that it agrees with my personal values & way of life...It seems a natural part of my life. Nothing really changed...it only got better and reinforced my inner spirit.

However....
    My 'god/goddess' is foremost, nature & trees....above any deity. The only reason we are existing! I worship the Trees...The Moon, the Sun & Tides...the Mountains, the Ice & Snow and mighty Thunder & Lightening.
    The angry earth volcano spewing forth a chaos of pleasure (male).....and the deep orgasmic under-currents of earth-quake (female).

Life was mean't to be earthy & sexual and generally enjoyable.
    We modern humans have just created alot of problems with the need for greed and other such silly desires.

No wonder I gaze up to the sky...

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SKADI
    yet I am still prone to automatically trace the hammer in the air to protect my belongings, my homestead and sapling trees......Trace the Valknot....Give a respectful hail to any Raven that passes my way. Pour beer & food offerings to the dwarves...Draw the Helm of Terror to repel enemies etc.....
    I hope I did not give the impression that I do not believe in the gods and our symbols. Of course I do. Woden, I believe! I offer sacrifices of food and drink in my own personal blot's. I offer drops of my own blood to the soil and plants when I garden. I call to ravens, owls, hawks, eagles and all mighty birds. I listen to trees and the voices in the wind. I give thanks and praise in Wodens name every day.

I have studied Norsk/Teutonic mythology and have found that it agrees with my personal values & way of life...It seems a natural part of my life. Nothing really changed...it only got better and reinforced my inner spirit.
    Of course. You really have no choice in the matter. This goes back to what I was talking about having deep roots. Our roots run strong and deep, we couldn;t deny them even if we tried. It's our roots that define who we are today and what we will be in the future.

My 'god/goddess' is foremost, nature & trees....above any deity. The only reason we are existing! I worship the Trees...The Moon, the Sun & Tides...the Mountains, the Ice & Snow and mighty Thunder & Lightening.
    The angry earth volcano spewing forth a chaos of pleasure (male).....and the deep orgasmic under-currents of earth-quake (female).
    Oh, but were we both single, on the same continent!

Life was mean't to be earthy & sexual and generally enjoyable.
    We modern humans have just created alot of problems with the need for greed and other such silly desires.
    Aye. Greed and lust for power have ever been the crux of mankind.

No wonder I gaze up to the sky...
    Of course you do! You are a mighty tree, with deep roots and ever growing mighty trunk with a canopy that faces the sky, and Thought and Memory fly above you...

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What, no one has a reply to this very important question?

Last Online
    15 Hours Ago @ 07:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Colorado Colorado
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Network Operations
    Religion
    Irminenschaft
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I, too, have the same beliefs as Folkish. I just have problems putting them into words. Thanks Folkish, you have done that for me! I was reared in the Christian belief, though not in a fundamentalist way. It was easy to turn to my heritage and honor the gods and goddess of my ancestors.
    ~Andreas

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With friendly greetings
    ~Andreas

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasBolle
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I, too, have the same beliefs as Folkish. I just have problems putting them into words. Thanks Folkish, you have done that for me! I was reared in the Christian belief, though not in a fundamentalist way. It was easy to turn to my heritage and honor the gods and goddess of my ancestors.
    ~Andreas
    Do not fear of sounding like a broken record, friend! I struggle with words every day. We get caught and confused in our word-hoards and let words define us, not the other way around. If someone else does an adequate job at describing how I feel about something, I have no problem paraphrasing it, or just agreeing with it to save time and energy.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 10th, 2010 @ 09:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I follow a similar belief as Folkish. I often find myself in awe of nature and the earth and I will often say a little something to it's magnificance. I have made blots before on my own and I often think going into a situation, "How would Thor react to this?" or "How would Odin deal with this?" I'm not sure if I take the myths to be literal fact. It's not something I've decided yet. But regardless they're extremely important to me and I use them as a guidebook to living.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I too venerate Nature as others have discussed so eloquently in this thread--and it is convenient to parcel up the elements of Nature in the various gods and goddesses.

Folkish mentioned the flexibility, if you will, of Heathendom and my approach is very flexible. I have no set times for reverence but instead, I pay homage and give thanks when the conditions are 'right' and I feel the strength of the common thread running through all--at night, sitting on my stone front step and watching the summer fog roll up the valley, leaving the hill tops as islands whilst the moon traverses the Southern sky, or when a thunderstorm, or Thunor rather, rumbles down from the Northwest bringing essential rain and a spectacular visual display of the powers that be, or something simple like a fresh strawberry from the garden--the gate into which, I wove with Maple saplings, the Ingwaz rune--fertility and fecundity....

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I chose the last option. I'm all for reviving old traditions and beliefs, but myself I am not into any religions, including all sorts of paganism.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Death and the Sun For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast