View Poll Results: Do you practise Heathendom?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do, and I attend all important celebrations and pray to the Gods

72 45.28%
  • Yes, I do, but I don't take it so serious, I don't attend any celebrations and stuff.

45 28.30%
  • I'm just interested in Norse mythology and history, not in the belief of my ancestors.

24 15.09%
  • No, I'm not really into Heathendom.

10 6.29%
  • other please explain

8 5.03%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Practice Your Belief?

Last Online
    Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 @ 06:18 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Celtic
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student & Homesteader
    Politics
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ves Heil!

I practice what I believe in everyday life. I remember how strange all of this was to me when I first started down the path of my ancestors. Constantly getting little nudges here and there, certain signs and odd coincidences, the showing up of animals in places where pattern did not fit normally such as deer in broad daylight in the yard while I'm standing there going about my business. Birds particularly Raptors and and other fowl such as Odin's birds making themselves known to me. Not to mention catching little things here and there out of the corner of my eye. Speaking with something unseen and getting results in particular the landvaettir! All of this was hard to get use to, even more so when some one decided to take up residence within the home.

But on a whole day to day, when such things occur or strange happenings of benefit take place, I always smile a little. And now and then I'll give a simple thank you. I've also in the last year finally have found other heathens. The experience has lead to greater things up to now, which as of a few weeks ago a Vestead has been built here on our place. I had already had Horg for the Wights and what have you but no places for ancestors and gods, now this place is coming together. The more beneficial I am to this place, the more it's beneficial to me. Having such a strong connection with ones home and land cannot even be put into words it's akin to that of kinship!

So now I attend blot with the group, I go about my daily task here, and eventually will begin hold blot here when a few more things are acquired.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 1st, 2010 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire/Yorkshire
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yes yes yes i do.

stand proudly with our gods and ancestors!

If there are any folk who wish to get invovled we moot throughout the Lancashire/Cheshire/Manchester Area.

Just pm me.

Odin Hael.

Last Online
    Friday, June 22nd, 2012 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    English, Dutch.
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Montana Montana
    Single adult
    Occupation
    laboer
    Politics
    n/a
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I do, my problem is that where I live there are no other Heathens around here, so all I do, I do alone

Last Online
    Thursday, December 1st, 2011 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    Germany (1/4), Norway (1/4), Scotland (1/8), ? (3/8)
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservitive
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hail the Gods of my forefathers...

Yes, I practice heathenistic beliefs. Unfortunately I must keep it small scale due to my families christian beliefs. Also in my area there are no formal groups which prevents group celebrations. I perform personal blots and comemerate special occasions with scaled down sumbels as well as praying to the Gods daily. The religion has become a way of life. I have imbraced the nine noble values of Asatru: Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Disipline, Hospitality, Industrilousness, Self Reliance, Perserverance.

Last Online
    Friday, February 10th, 2012 @ 05:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Frank (Cherusci)
    Ancestry
    Lothringen/Prussia/Galicia(ex part of Austrian Empire)
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    State
    Alsace-Lorraine Alsace-Lorraine
    Married parent
    Occupation
    employee
    Politics
    Habsburg-Lothringen für Herzog !
    Religion
    Catholic & germanic evhemerism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I practice as culture than cult

Among then Franks, to who I identify, we have no evidence of Asatru, Odinism,... clergy.
    Even before their arianism (which is NOT arYanism ) then catholicism conversion.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryanism

The way to worship Wotan was to be brave in battle, the one to worship Donner to perform iron working (rather than buying from outside the Federation), Frigga was to keep a good household,...

The Fürst (warlord) was the bishop and each family chief to priest.
    Perhaps some people with better voice, musical knowledge could act as skalds when the tribe met around the fire but there was no druidic-like ceremony until arrival of christianity.

So I practice this way, but studying, then teaching my family (and sometimes friends) the legends of old time. I make a point giving Historical origins (Arminius, fall of the Merovingian, Attila & Idilko,...)
    When some thunderbolts frighten my child, I explain it is Donner who prevent monsters to come to Earth (I use Marvel "Mighty Thor" cartoons to prove that.

I make sure that my book and DVD collection (expecially those for children) have a quota of classic germanic stuff (not only Mythos but Andersen & Grimm brothers stories as well) or that are seen in a germanic way. For example I explain that She-Ra, Princess of Power is a Walkyrie.

For pure religious stuff, Clodwig made the choice and we go to church like him.
    For us Ragnarok prophecy was true, the old gods died for the new one to come. But they still lives through legends

Last Online
    Thursday, February 10th, 2011 @ 01:19 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am interested in the stories and worldview but I am not religious. I don't going around singing to trees and I don't believe thunder is made by a man with a big hammer.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 1st, 2019 @ 06:29 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Ancestry
    German-American and proud
    Subrace
    Alpinid-Nordid
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Ohhh...woops...I clicked the wrong one I meant to hit number three. I'm just very, very, very interested in the Norse pantheon and gods. Can't say I so much believe in them.

Last Online
    Saturday, April 8th, 2017 @ 10:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Im an Asatruar, with Odin being my patron. I do what i can to pratice daily, but having no other Heathens near me and with a christian family it proves to be difficult, but i manage

Last Online
    Saturday, April 8th, 2017 @ 10:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortress Germania View Post
    I am interested in the stories and worldview but I am not religious. I don't going around singing to trees and I don't believe thunder is made by a man with a big hammer.
    Interested in the stories, eh? What you're saying shows you have MAYBE read the title and a sentence or two, but all in all you're basically saying you know nothing. Maybe you should re-read some info on Heathenism.
    Last edited by Hauke Haien; Tuesday, January 19th, 2010 at 06:39 AM. Reason: language

Senior Member Eccardus Teutonicus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Austro-British
    Ancestry
    Lothian, Cork, Donegal, Austria
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Scholar
    Politics
    Elitism
    Religion
    Medieval Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    You probably read a lot about heathendom, about the religion of our ancestors. You know the Edda and all Gods. Maybe you've already attended a Blot or a midsummer celebration.
    Please drop a few lines about your personal connection to the Norse Gods.
    I am presently developing a theological grounding for our religion, as I am convinced we are no better than the Wiccans or worse if we do not begin taking our religion seriously enough to establish a real theology.

But do you really believe in the religion of the Norse?
    Yes. I believe it because I have seen it and experienced it; I am justified in my faith, for faith alone is the basis of any religion. I have yet to find a community I can practise with, but I am untroubled by this; so many are obsessed with ritual, sacrifice, and the practise of the religion they rarely question what they really believe. It is easy to latch onto a structure and a system that gives one comfort and allows one to attack Christianity without making the effort to understand either what one supposedly believes or what one is attacking; it is the realm of the Higher Members of our society to put forth the intellectual effort and exert the spiritual force to believe and be content in their own justification by this belief.

I can go into more detail at request.

Do you really practise it?
    I practise my religion regularly; I practise alone, as I said, I have yet to find a community in which I feel my trust can be placed for the preservation of our faith-- too many so-called "kindreds" are nothing more than long-haired white-priders more interested in racial purity than in their actual ancestors and the preservation of a spiritual Folk (indeed, many cannot comprehend a spiritual Folk at all, and accuse me of cultural Marxism when I mention it). Nevertheless, I keep the holy days-- the real, historical holidays, none of this silly "Ostara" nonsense-- and I hold Sigrblót before all major undertakings.

I pray weekly, sometimes bi-weekly, and dedicate myself, a scholar and librarian, to the praise and worship of Óðinn, by whom I feel somewhat justified in my lonely practice and wandering. Þórr has also been good to me, and I am not alien to the worship of Forseti, or Týr, or Heimdall. The Alföðr, however, remains the chief focus of my prayer and worship, for he has a habit of answering my requests.

Are you still a member of the Christian church?
    No. Not of any of them-- if I believed in a single, unified Christian church I would still be a Christian. The "Body of Christ" is false; this is not to say Christianity is a lie, mind you-- it is a religion, it is a binding unity that has lent itself as a structure to the construction of Occidental Civilisation. What one thinks of that Civilisation and where it has gone is entirely one's own opinion, but to deny the centrality of Christianity to Western Civilisation, that is the lie.

Just intrested [sic] in what's Heathendom all about?
    I am unsure what is being asked here but I imagine it's a follow-up to the question preceding it. Correct me if I am wrong and I will be more than happy to answer in detail whatever is being asked.
    οὐκ ἐμοῦ, ἀλλὰ τοῦ λόγου ἀκούσαντας ὁμολογεῖν σοφόν ἐστιν ἓν πάντα εἶναί.
    Heraclitus

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast