View Poll Results: Do you practise Heathendom?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do, and I attend all important celebrations and pray to the Gods

72 45.28%
  • Yes, I do, but I don't take it so serious, I don't attend any celebrations and stuff.

45 28.30%
  • I'm just interested in Norse mythology and history, not in the belief of my ancestors.

24 15.09%
  • No, I'm not really into Heathendom.

10 6.29%
  • other please explain

8 5.03%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Practice Your Belief?

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 @ 07:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    anglo saxon
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    White Boy
    Politics
    Free Thinker
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I practice my belief in all I say and do. I pull a rune daily to meditate on throughout the day whenever I can, and to keep myself in touch with the runic stream. I communicate with the appropriate God/Goddess for any situation I need guidance in. I respect and revere Nature and our Earth.

One fringe benefit of living Asatru with all the integrity I can is that, oftentimes, I am the only Asatru that non-heathens encounter and, as such, I become the representation of my belief system and what they say me do and hear me say reflects on all Heathens in their eyes.

I feel a special connection with Raidho. Not only does it represent right action but it also symbolizes, to me, my ascencion on my spiritual path.

Until I found Asatru, I had no spirituality that felt like it fit who I am or who I want to be, the kind of person I strive to be. So yes, I practice my belief, and I practice and I practice until this becomes an unconscious and reflexive part of everything I say or do.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 10:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leofric
    I believe in all the gods of our ancestors as corporeal beings. I believe that they, like all gods (including Christ, whom I do worship), are men and women who have reached such a high level of spiritual perfection (though I don't think any of them — including Christ — is completely perfect) that we call them gods. I believe it is important for us to understand how all the gods think and act so that we can realize our own inner potential to become like them.
    So how do you think this could be achieved? Any rituals, texts or practices you would recommend?

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I chose the first option. I do invocations and offer ale or mead to the various gods irregularly, usually once a month but I'd like to get into the habit of doing it more often. I've made or bought most of the tools I use during a blot. For the most part I use a meadhorn, offering bowl, appropriate incense, and a candle. I'll meditate, say the invocation, share the drink, etc.

I find the more I do this the better I can connect with and understand our gods. I recently did a solitary blot to Ostara (the Allmother), who I consider the same goddess as Frigga and Freya. I felt that she heard me.

Near the end of this month my wife and I are meeting up with some other Odinic Rite members at a Viking Festival in northern Minnesota. We're planning a Midsummer Blot in a park up there. This will be the first time I will meet other Odinists in person, should be a rewarding experience.

Materials I use:

The Book of Blotar of the Odinic Rite
    Old Norse Ritual for Worship and Magick
    Old Norse Mysteries, Deities and Worship

One the Odinic Rite website there are invocations listed on pages describing gods and goddesses.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 04:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, of course........

Hail Y'all,

And, yes, of course, I Practice what I Believe. I am Folkish Asatru/Odinist.
    I see the Gods & Goddesses as Our Elder Kin, Our Blood and Our Bone.

I offer Blot, formally, with other Folks, usually my Kindred, about once, in a month. Sometimes it's more frequent, with DSW, & I.
    I am Gothi to my Kindred. I founded it, about 12 years ago, a little more, at the request of some Friends.
    A Gothi AISI, is a Leader-Priest-Headman-Facilitator-Organizer, and in our case, chief cook & Brewer. I provide the Feast after each Blot for my Kinsmen.

We have a stone Horg/Altar, out here on the hill, about 75 yrds, from our house.
    DSW, Sharon helped me build it. At present it is loose/lain. We originally built it in our secluded backyard, in Indianapolis. When we moved down here ,we brought it with us. When we move it up the hill, among the trees, it will be cemented together again.

We have more or less a Family Kindred, with several Asa-kids and their Parents that Blot with us. I think at this time there are 4 Families, or 5.
    We are active Members in several National Organizations.
    We visit other Kindreds, on occasion, also. And, we welcome Guests from other Kindreds, as well. Hospitality is alive & well, at our Hof.

I think, if you really believe, you will be lead to join & Blot and Summel, as was the Custom, of Our Folk.
    We do not dress in "Garb" for our regular Blots. Although, for Weddings and Memorial Services, We always Dress, appropriately.I've been Gothi/Minister, for a few.
    We have done a couple Folkish Scottish Weddings. Been a few years though.
    Last year we attended a Heathen Wedding, in Wisconsin, of some of our Friends.
    I am accorded Elder status, by many of my Peers, because of my age & experience.

I know that when my time is done, I will rest with My Ancestors, and my Gods, the Aesir & the Vanir.
    I know that a Part of me will live on in my Ancestors, to come, my Children,
    Grandchildren, my Great-grandchildren, and on down through ages to come.

I have little patience with Folks who Blow Smoke up my drawers, about being Northern Heathen/Asatru/Odinist, and they don't do Blot or Pay Homage to
    The Northern Gods.
    YMMV.
    'Til Later,
    Grimsteinr-Gothi

"The Survival of Our folk is not Negotiable!"
    S.McNallen

Last Online
    Friday, February 9th, 2007 @ 11:20 AM
    Occupation
    student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, I really believe in the religoion of the North! It is the great religion. I respect our ancestors! Of course I attend Blot and midsummer celebration. About christian church... I have never been in this organisation and hane never believe in christian god! Our gods are true! Hail, Odin!
    :wunjo: :ansuz: :fehu: :tiwaz: :raido: :uruz: :dagaz: :nauthiz: :isa: :raido:
    :thorshamm

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Vendus
    Yes, I really believe in the religoion of the North! It is the great religion. I respect our ancestors! Of course I attend Blot and midsummer celebration. About christian church... I have never been in this organisation and hane never believe in christian god! Our gods are true! Hail, Odin!
    :wunjo: :ansuz: :fehu: :tiwaz: :raido: :uruz: :dagaz: :nauthiz: :isa: :raido:
    :thorshamm
    Heilsa, Master Vendus. How about an introduction in this subforum so we can get to know you a little better?
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Telecommunications
    Politics
    Libertarian/Neo-Imperialist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Deification

Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried
    Quote Originally Posted by Leofric
    I believe in all the gods of our ancestors as corporeal beings. I believe that they, like all gods (including Christ, whom I do worship), are men and women who have reached such a high level of spiritual perfection (though I don't think any of them — including Christ — is completely perfect) that we call them gods. I believe it is important for us to understand how all the gods think and act so that we can realize our own inner potential to become like them.
    So how do you think this could be achieved? Any rituals, texts or practices you would recommend?
    I'm finally ready to answer this, Siegfried. Sorry to have taken so long.

First let me address the matter of texts, since I think that's the easiest.

I think any text that's written about gods that lots of people consider sacred in some way is worth reading: the Bible, the Koran, the Rig Veda, the Avesta, the Tao Te Ching, the Edda, and on and on. I think any such text is likely to provide some helpful insight into the nature of the gods. The more you read those texts and cross-compare them, the more you come to understand what the basics of god-ness are — the universals that make all gods alike.

Most of these texts are written by people who have their own biases, of course, but even that can be helpful. As you come to understand what impression gods leave on the people who interact with them, you get a better understanding of how the gods themselves are.

Of course, the way you read the text is important, too.

The worst way to read is just to understand how other people envision the divine. This is reading like an anthropologist. It tells you a lot more about people than about the gods.

If you read holy writings in order to know what the gods want you to do to serve them, then you're also not getting as much out of it. Lots of Christians approach the Bible that way, and many heathens approach the Havamal (which some consider the only worthwhile portion of the lore) the same way. This is reading like a worshipper. Though it can help to read holy writings that way, since not only do gods tend to give good advice but the way they advise mortals is part of their nature, I think it can be far better to approach holy writings differently.

A better way to read holy writing is to put yourself into the mindset of the person who wrote it. The person who wrote it is someone who has had some degree of contact with the gods. If, as you read, you try to experience in your mind whatever it would take to make you express that experience the way it's written in the writings, then you're quite a bit closer to understanding the gods. This reading like a prophet, and it can lead to you yourself developing the skill of prophecy.

The best way to read holy writing is to try to put yourself into the mindset that would make you inspire someone to write what is written about you. It's usually necessary to take the previous step before reaching this one. Once you get past reading like a third-party observer, or a recipient of a message, or the bearer of the message, then you can start to read it like the originator of the message. This is, at once, the easiest and the hardest thing to do with holy writing. But once you start doing it, you're starting to think like a god. That leads you on the process I described earlier.

Now for rituals. When I think of rituals, I think of ceremonies that symbolically instruct. They are like performative scripture. I think it's good to acquaint yourself with all kinds of ritual, just as it's useful to acquaint yourself with all kinds of holy texts — Hindu temple worship, Islamic prayer services, Jewish Seder ceremonies, Catholic Mass, Masonic ritual, the Wiccan Great Rite, blots and symbels, and on and on. I have been involved in lots of different rituals of many different religions, and every single one of them has taught me something about the nature of the gods.

Again, it's important to experience ritual properly. If you approach it as an anthropologist (or worse, a tourist), you won't get any spiritual benefit from it. Furthermore, if you approach it as an adherent, you won't derive a great deal of benefit from it either. As with scripture, you want to start thinking of ritual from the point of view of a producer rather than a consumer — what thoughts might you have that you would want to use the vehicle of this ritual to express? Why would you want people to move in a particular way, or speak in a particular way? What would you want someone to understand that you think performing this ritual would help them understand?

Compared to scripture, ritual is much more helpful in teaching us the gods' nature, because it is easier to remember and it involves not just our minds but our bodies as well. However, the meaning is often a lot more cryptic and not nearly so transparent as it is in scripture. For that reason, it's best to read a lot of scripture before getting into a lot of ritual. Not that you should avoid ritual in the beginning, and not that you should stop reading scripture after beginning to study ritual — it's just that it's easier to understand ritual when you approach it from the basis of good understanding of scripture.

Now for practices.

The first and most important practice is prayer. If you want to understand what the gods are like, you have to talk with them. And when you talk with them, you have to believe that they're there, that they're listening, and that they will respond, clearly and unequivocally. If you see them as above you — so far above you that you can't communicate with them — then you'll never come to understand their nature. The first step to understanding them, as with anyone, is open communication. Expect it of them and you'll get it.

When the gods speak to me, they usually speak to me the same way I speak to them — a voice in my head, speaking my language. Sometimes they choose to communicate through other means, but it's most common that they treat me the same way I treat them.

As you study all the holy writings, all the holy rituals, and develop a steady communicative relationship with the gods, you come to have a much fuller understanding of the gods and their worldview.

The next step is to start behaving as they behave. You see best how they behave through this process of study and prayer that I've described, but I can think just offhand of two things that all gods seem to do: gods are almost universally described as parents; gods are almost universally described as teachers. Consequently, I think it's important to have children and to teach people (and especially your own children) in order to begin to understand, from an experiential perspective, what it is to be a god.

That's how I think a person can come to understand what the gods are like and begin to become like them.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Thanks for the insights, Leofric.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Thursday, May 10th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ancestry
    UK/Continent
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I will be honest here...

After all, "truth" is one of the NNV...

I have a hard time believing in the gods and goddesses.

I have been very spiritually (as well as) emotionally numb for the past 4 years.

However, I see Odinism and the creed that goes along with it as a very noble thing to follow, especially for someone of IE heritage.

But as for COMPLETELY believing in the existance of the gods... no I am not convinced yet, and I doubt I will be for a long while.

Flame away, folks...

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1896
    Flame away, folks...
    Why? It's like me: I do not worship any Gods, more so I give them my respects every now and then, as I hope they exist. So you could say that when it comes to worshippings gods, we are alike.

But the possible exception may be that the one and only thing I worship, as said before, is Nature itself.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast