View Poll Results: Do you practise Heathendom?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do, and I attend all important celebrations and pray to the Gods

40 47.62%
  • Yes, I do, but I don't take it so serious, I don't attend any celebrations and stuff.

24 28.57%
  • I'm just interested in Norse mythology and history, not in the belief of my ancestors.

9 10.71%
  • No, I'm not really into Heathendom.

3 3.57%
  • other please explain

8 9.52%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: Do You Practice Your Belief?

Aka wdrake
    Last Online
    Monday, July 23rd, 2012 @ 03:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, and Germany
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Married parent
    Politics
    Kinism
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I find the two options for those who consider themselves heathen to be a little loaded. Specifically "I am heathen, but am not serious...", this implies that the legitimacy of one's spirituality is directly related to their propensity for ritual, celebration, etc. which, in my mind, are simply external manifestations of something much more important.

While this is most certainly not the case with all heathens, a close friend (who has been worshiping the old gods for longer than I have been alive) and I were discussing this and both agreed that many people use the old ways as a means of playing dress up and living out a fantasy. These people tend to fall along the young and stupid as well as the faddists out there. For legitimate heathens, perhaps this is a too harsh of a statement, as some people simply need external events for things to seem "real" to them or for ideas, thoughts, or words to have any real impact. Robes, mead horns, altars, etc. are all well and good, but how many are actually creating metaphysical relationships with the gods and their ancestors?

I am dead serious about my personal spiritual beliefs, however, ritual and the like do little to nothing to reveal the lore or make the gods seem any more real. The closest outwards manifestation of the old ways I ever display is a quaint Mjolnir around my neck. I come from a long line of Protestant Christians, and this may be the Protestant psyche showing up in a pagan context, which makes for some interesting thinking. When you stop and think, the debate that seems to be raging here is the same one between the Catholic/Orthodox churches and the Protestant ones, sola scriptura vs. the living church.

I tend to find myself enjoying more scholarly pursuits, dissecting the Eddas and Sagas, looking into history and linguistics, thinking about the philosophical implications of certain ideas or beliefs. This is different from the kind of scholasticism though exhibited by the Christian, J.R.R. Tolkien in his love of myth. Mine is rooted in the very real sense of belief, this is the way I best understand and learn about the gods. The gods are as real to me as my son sleeping next to me right now.

On the more mystical side of things, I have experiences where I have offered sacrifices to the gods, where I have communicated with them, where I have felt them, but these have, for the vast majority, been inward and solitary. I have found though that since the start of my family I have wanted to find ways to better involve my son in our religion and ritual is a very good way to impart some deep seated psychological imagery into a child. It appeals very well to their nature and thought process.

So then, the question becomes, what exactly does it mean to be a heathen or pagan, at least in regards to myself? I live my life by the examples set forth by my ancestors and use myself as a living example of the Germanic spirit to serve as an inspiration to my family. I take a deep seated interest in our heritage and the collective world view, the weltanschauung, of our people and try to gain a deeper, more primitive understanding of the Germanic thought process. I look inward and, with the help of the gods, try to become a better man and one more in line with those written about in the lore. To me, this is more important than whether or not I attend every blót or sumble in my area.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Einherrjar Blot at our house

With work schedules travel time & such, it was just impossible to assemble the Kindred for our regular Blot to Honor the Einherrjar, that we celebrate on or around 11-11, Nov.11th) each year. Here in the USA it is celebrated as Veterans Day and marks the Armistice Day, 11th Day of the 11th Month of the 1st World War. It's one of our regular monthly Blots.

At our Blot we first honor the Battle Gods of War and Defense, Odin, Thor, Tyr, Freyr and Freyja. Then we lift the Mead Horn to Honor all those that have fallen in Battle, in the uniform of our Country, and our Folk, and who joined the Einherrjar in Valhalla or Folkvangr. Here at our Blot we also lift the Mead Horn to honor those still serving in the Armed Forces of Our Country, and those who have died or are still serving in the Uniform of Metropolitan Policemen, State Police Troopers and Deputy Sheriffs, as they also serve the public to protect us, each day.

Since the Kindred could not be here, it was my Dear Wife Sharon and myself that made the walk about 65 yards up the Hill, overlooking the pond, to our stone Altar. We lit the torches and Called the Gods to Hallow the Stead.
    And the two of us did the Blot, to Remember, as we think our Ancestors might have. After the Blot, we Thanked Them for Their presence, Closed the Blot and made our way, back to the house.

ETA...We do not use our Blots, to "play dress up" or "pretend that we are the Ancestors" we never dress in costumes. No swords, or Garb. We use our rituals, Blots & Sumbels to Reach out to the Gods and Gooddesses, to Honor Them and Strengthen the Conection between Them and ourselves. And it strengthens the Germanic Spirit within us. Oh, We do put on clean clothes, though.
    Last edited by Grimsteinr; Saturday, November 12th, 2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: ETA......Edit to Add

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 @ 12:53 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Frisian\Saxon
    Subrace
    I am here to find out.
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Groningen Groningen
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Rightist\conservative
    Religion
    I believe in God
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In all honesty, I do not practice heathendom nor am I very much interested in it. I have tremendous respect for those who still follow the ways and beliefs my own ancestors once shared with theirs, but I am perfectly to respect and accept something without instantly feeling an urge to join in.

Among my ancestors I have both heathens aswell as Christians and also
    the occasional atheist, as do most people. I am sure those of my ancestors that used to follow the ancient Germanic God's have been forcibly converted to Christianity at some point.

I don't respect my heathen ancestors any more or any less then I respect my Christian ancestors. And I don't feel the need to become a heathen just to feel whole, or to fit in, the way American negroes celebrate "Kwanzaa". I do not need heathenry or heathen customs to define my identity, nor do I need the Christian faith for that. For me, faith is a very personal matter. I've made my peace with God, and I am content.

Last Online
    Friday, April 10th, 2020 @ 08:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I honor the gods of my understanding and my ancestors within the confines of my home (and sometimes outside).

I read the primary literature and the leading scholarship to gain a better understanding of my ancestors and how they related to their gods.

I dabble in runes, galdor and wortcunning, and hope to become more proficient.

I am loyal to my relatives, or at least the ones that mean anything. I intend to find a woman of Celtic or Germanic stock with whom to raise a family in Heathen ways.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Angelfolc
    Ancestry
    Angles, Frisians, Saxons
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Y-DNA
    Y
    mtDNA
    X
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Hannover Hannover
    Yorkist
    Occupation
    Once More Unto the Breach
    Politics
    Welf
    Religion
    ex-U.C. of England & Ireland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    You probably read a lot about heathendom, about the religion of our ancestors. You know the Edda and all Gods. Maybe you've already attended a Blot or a midsummer celebration.

But do you really believe in the religion of the Norse?
    Do you really practise it?
    Are you still a member of the christian church?
    Just intrested in what's Heathendom all about?

Please drop a few lines about your personal connection to the Norse Gods.
    "Yes, I do, but I don't take it so serious, I don't attend any celebrations and stuff."

I used to practice, whether Heathen or Christian. Now, I simply hold onto beliefs inactively. I guess you can say mine is a personal mystical experience in a wider community with which I do not personally associate. I consider myself to straddle the line of Heathen and Christian, much like my ancestors did. I'd rather have the best of both worlds, as Winston Churchill stated was the case for Ivar the Boneless.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 07:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Anglo Saxon, Frankish, Swabian, and Alemannen
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid+Atlantid+Borreby
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am an Atheist. So I have a hard time believing in any Gods, but I am very interested in Heathery. I have already convinced a friend to help me preform a Blot. My main interest is to feel and experience what our Ancestors felt and experienced. To try to live an honorable life and remain fiercely proud of Kith and Kin. To me this is enough.

I would like to believe in the Gods but my Rational mind won't allow it. I think the Gods are good metaphors to help our people through rough times and bad. I would also like to build an Alter, and preform more ceremonies. To help remind me of who I am and where I came from, and to put me in a more Germanic state of mind.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 7th, 2012 @ 06:57 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern Europe, Germany, Britain
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student-Law Enforcement
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifsvina View Post
    "But do you really believe in the religion of the Norse?"
    Yes! Not as an absolute truth but as an absolute way of life. While I do not necessarily believe in Thor as a corporal being with red hair and a hammer I think that belief is an important thing. To play them down as simply "archetypes" of nature is to do them a disservice. But I do try and look at them in all ways, to see it from many angles, that bit of agnosticism I shall always have:-) What I have found most useful is studying how our ancestors treated the religion. Believing in the Gods/Nature as deity helps to show us our correct place in the scheme of things. To see religion as an invention of man for the use of man is to put man above it all when we are really just a small piece of the fantastic puzzle. We fight to come out on top but this is the place of the greater beings not us. Am I making sense?:-)
    "Do you really practice it?"
    I practice it with every breath, with every time I look at a plant closely, with every time I feel the texture of a rock, with every time I look out on the ocean. I do not do Blottar as often as I should and I rarely celebrate the "festivals" (strangely a special Ostara Blot is the only one that always happens). Part of this is my own laziness and partly because I do not have access to a grove or even a private patch of land. When I have a community (it will happen some day) I will celebrate much more of the festivals as I see them more as a community oriented thing. I know people I could celebrate these with but I would have to put up with more disgusting liberal neo-pagans that I really care to;-) I rune galder most every night before sleeping, I touch a kiss to our Freyr statue that guards the door every time I come in, I wear my hammer everywhere except the shower, so I suppose that when I add it all up I do more than I think:-)
    "Are you still a member of the christian church?"
    Never was!
    Wassail!
    I find myself lost often when I try to explain my exact beliefs to others, but you've just cleared up a lot of them in your second paragraph. Thank you! I too practice daily, wear my Mjollnir pendant every single day, (Also except for the shower. ) and also do not Blottar as much as I should, or attend the festivals. This isn't due to laziness for me, but for lack of community. I long for a group who share my beliefs to commune with and practice with, and I suppose that's what lead me to this forum. (This is my first post, go easy on me! )

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Germanic Heathen Community

There is an Organiztion called the Irminsul Aettir, that has a Contact Page on their Web site, listing Heathen Folk and Groups from all over The USA and the World.
    I checked and they have many listings in Illinois as well as Michigan.
    Their adress is: www.irminsul.org If I recall correctly. If it's not do a web search for them.
    For those of you who seriously want to be part of a Heathen Community, to share Blots, Information and fellowship with, "Why not take the time to look up Folks like these?" We are everywhere.
    If you do a web search for "Folkish Asatru" you will get hundreds of references. You might even contact the "Asatru Folk Assembly", or the "Asatru Alliance" for contacts. Look up their web sites. They are easy to find. I guess what I'm saying is: "If you really want to Share our Ancestral Folk Religion, Asatru with a Community, it's not always "Easy". But, first you have to try. There's a lot of us out here. But, they won't come knocking on you door.
    Good Luck

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 06:52 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Single adult
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, I dont practice my belief in a normal way because I am still undecided if I have any belief yet. I describe myself as agnostic, because its easier. But I am currently immersed in my studies of germanic Heathenry, and I feel a pull toward certain aspects of the mythology. To me, this counts as my way of practicing. Its a good idea to know what you are getting with a belief system, so studying is a must, definatly more than just praying or telling everybody about it. for me these things are kinda private.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Angelfolc
    Ancestry
    Angles, Frisians, Saxons
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Y-DNA
    Y
    mtDNA
    X
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Hannover Hannover
    Yorkist
    Occupation
    Once More Unto the Breach
    Politics
    Welf
    Religion
    ex-U.C. of England & Ireland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I wanted to partake in Asatru and still have longings, but only for the real experience and not the reimagined version. I spent most of my time as a solo practitioner and felt cut off from my peers, only a few of which had any interest and it was usually Wicca. I wish there was a TV show like Hercules and Xena, but with Norse personalities. That makes it more of a 3D experience.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112