Last Online
    Saturday, July 14th, 2007 @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Nice garden!
    Few quick thoughts,

You should find this site quite interesting!
    http://www.sgapqld.org.au/

SeaSol
    http://www.seasol.com.au

Osmocote Plus Native Fertilizer
    http://osmocote.com.au/osmocote.htm

Superthrive
    This stuff is rather expensive ($20 for a tiny little bottle) but you barely need any, and from my limited experimentation it seems to work wonders.
    http://superthrive.com/page1.html

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/sgap.html
    http://www.anbg.gov.au/banksia/banksia.html
    http://www.floraforfauna.com.au/document.asp?id=118
    http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/ozgard/?7557

So long as you plant your natives in really well draining soil, and water them fequently until they are established, they should thrive. Sprinkle some Osmocote into and around the hole before planting, give it a soak with a diluted SeaSol mix, and perhaps some Superthrive if you are feeling really aristocratic, and you're laughing.

Callistemons (Bottlebrushes) despite being able to cope with most conditions, are actually a swamp plant. They grow and flower vigorously when planted in well drained sunny position, but kept slightly moist most of the time.
    The weeping habit of the Dawson's River Weeper, plus its foliage (not to mention its brilliant flowers) make it my favorite, I recommend planting one if you can find room for it in your garden.

Myoporum Parvifolum is a really nice ground cover, especially the "fine leaf" form...
    Useful as a lawn alternative, or for covering ground between large shrubs and trees and to suppress weeds.

As hanging or mounted basket plants in shaded areas, Kennedia Prostrata (Running Postman) or Kennedia Nigricans (Black Coral Pea) are nice, as well as Violacea Hederea (Native Violet) though the Violet has to be keep quite moise all the time, best hung near a backdoor or something so watering is less of an effort.

Any of the Correa's (Dusky Bells, Marian's Marvel, Descumbens, Nummilarifolia etc) seem to do well as ground shrubs in shaded areas, and flower all year around, attracting smaller honey-eaters and other birds.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
    I'll put up some pics of my garden at some stage, it is a mess atm, as a deal of landscaping is still in progress.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    SKADI, you have a lovely garden. I envy you. I was surprised to learn that you achieved that on such a tiny plot. My lot is also very small (my mother used to call it the "postage stamp ranch."), 12,000 square feet, slightly over ¼ acre. Unfortunately, about 30% of it is on a slope so steep that I can hardly stand up on it. My front yard has been converted into a small garden with a fountain, stone benches, and a statue of Faunus. (The dealer called him Pan, but Pan would know how to play the panpipes which this fellow obviously doesn't. He's trying to blow into instead of across the pipes.) The main ground cover is Euonymus and the shrubs are azalea, rhododendron and carpet roses. Around here. violets and lilies of the valley grow like weeds, nicely filling in any void spaces. In the Spring and early Summer, before the mosquitoes come out to bedevil us, it's a delightful place to sit. The soil is glacial till, stony and poorly drained, so I doubt that some of the beautiful things I see in your garden would grow here. My garden is barely one year old. I hope it is more like yours when it has had time to mature.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 06:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SURT
    Callistemons (Bottlebrushes) despite being able to cope with most conditions, are actually a swamp plant. They grow and flower vigorously when planted in well drained sunny position, but kept slightly moist most of the time.
    The weeping habit of the Dawson's River Weeper, plus its foliage (not to mention its brilliant flowers) make it my favorite, I recommend planting one if you can find room for it in your garden.
    Yes I already have a Dawson's River Weeper and a Kings Park Special planted. (Both in full sun and growing fast)...Only tiny at the moment (from tube stock pots).... I can't wait to see them flower in the future...Flushes of red bottle-brushes...

Radical Traditionalist :hveğrungur:'s Avatar
    Last Online
    Friday, April 11th, 2008 @ 03:24 PM
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Völkisch Green
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs Up Calling all Greenthumbs! Pictures of your Garden

These are the pictures of the Garden I have going on the small Island my family owns. Here is where I grow most of our potatoes and carrots. I have a few small wild raspberry bushes which I didn't bother to take pictures of but that are there none the less.

Island Garden 1
    Island Garden 2

I hoed and tilled the land myself with tools. The grass in that area was high and I used an old scyth that belonged to my grandfather (on my mothers side) and his father before him. The land was worked 100% with hand tools. Unlike me and my mothers garden, I wanted mind to be special and real. I even water it by collecting water with large buckets from the lake.

These are the pictures of the Garden in my familys yard. This is the one me and my mother take care of. She is a lot more modern than me and insisted a tiller be used to till and mix the soil because "it is better". Anyways, we grow yellow and green onions in this garden along with squash, radishes, some carrots and some potatoes. At the "bottom" of picture two you can see where I'm growing ruhbarb. In picture three you can see the other end of the garden (the whole garden is basically a 90 degree angle around the gazebo) where my mother grows herself bushes, why? I don't know.

Yard Garden 1
    Yard Garden 2
    Yard Garden 3

These are the Strawberry plants I transplanted a few months ago. Hopefully at the end of the year I'll have enough strawberrys for a good number of jars of home made jam.

Strawberry Plants 1
    Strawberry Plants 2
    Strawberry Plants 3

Me and my stepfather also built a small shack on the Island a few years ago. It isnt anything special or fancy but it has two small rooms in the back with beds, a table and couch in the main room with chairs, a old style wood burning stove and sink with a steel pipe that drains it outside into the ground. This is where I stay when I wan't to get away from the "civilized world" (if you dare to call it that). There is a trail which is about a four minute walk into the woods where my personal "grove" is, where I sacrafice / blot to the high ones (home brewed mead, organic meats, home grown vegetbals) and spend time beside a fire enjoying a horn and the beauty of nature which so many heathen folk these days seem to ignore.

Shack Picture 1
    Shack Picture 2
    E-mail: odalist@gmail.com
    AOL IM: Blood Und Soil

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Deutschland
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Calling all Greenthumbs!

Island one and two look much like South Georgia. Beautiful. As Christians my family and I appreciate all the pictures and the information. We live on a farm and we understand your love for the beauty of nature.
    Georgia
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided; and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.
    Patrick Henry

Last Online
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Völkisch Green
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Do you have any of your own to share?

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Great pics!

I don't have any nice, high-quality photos of our gardens--but a friend of mine snapped a few about a week ago around the house. So, I'll attach those.

One is of the vegetable garden and two are of the house (& barn in one) that show some of the perennial gardens (though give them no justice really!)....

I apologize for the low resolution of the photos....but it's our little cottage on the hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	garden.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	68241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	68242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lookingsouth.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	68243  

Last Online
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Völkisch Green
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those are great pictures Allenson. Yes, they are not very large but that is a beautiful home and yard. Very Rural, Green and Back to the Land, looks like a BEAUTIFUL place to live.

I personally love Rural areas, old farm houses, barns, fields with miles of fence. I love visiting my great uncles farm in Dauphin, MB during the summers. Nothing better than waking up to a country breakfast in the morning before you work in the field.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, September 30th, 2010 @ 10:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Religion
    Atheist/Realist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Calling all Greenthumbs!

You've got a BEAUTIFUL house and garden Allenson! Amazing!

Aequis aequus
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Subrace
    Nordalpinoid-dalofaelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Nationalsozialismus
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Calling all Greenthumbs!

You guys have wonderful gardens. And the landscape around is just breathtaking!
    Here in Germany they are often much smaller and pretty affected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast