Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

The Religion of Your Children

Some of us want to have, or already have children. What attitude do you take in regards to the religion of your children? Did you/will you raise them according to your religion or did you/do you just educate them about religion but thought/think they should make the choice themselves?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    I'd raise my kids as Christians. When they become adults, if they want to change their religion, it's their business.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    My children will make their own decisions in regards to religion. If they wish for information, or my opinion, I can always give that to them when the time is right... but for now (my kids are all under the age of 7) I am rather vague about spiritual matters... although I'm very open about believing in reincarnation, and without even intending to, I suppose I convey it as a fact at times, rather than merely my belief.

In any case, I will support my kids in whatever choice they eventually make regarding religion.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I am not religious so I will not push any faith onto my children. I believe I will teach them about their ancestors and what their beliefs were, however.

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 30th, 2008 @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm a Gnostic, meaning that I believe that there can be spiritual knowledge, and that some spiritual knowledge is aetheric in nature, and can only be found and confirmed in experience. But that doesn't make me indifferent to tradition. Quite the contrary, I think that good tradition is a vehicle for spiritual development. I will pass on the most vital parts of tradition, both Christian and Heathen, also proverbs on this and that, as well as the tradition of Philosophy. In addition I will pass on a lot of stories from my own quest, along with some of the best of the less well known influences that I have found to be true, sound, meaningful, helpful and so on. Most importantly, I will be a good role model in good will, self love and general ethics. Not least important, I will teach my children how to stand tall against disrespect, buffoonery and anyone who may want to harm them.

Generally, in upbringing, I have to say that I think the principle of letting children decide for themselves is only applicable as a way of allowing them time and space to evolve, to do the things that will make them really happy and prosperous. Trying to bring up children in a neutral environment spiritually - I think it can only be neglect and detrimental to their development. Spirituality is intimately connected to morality and to all the things that the child should eventually master on his own.
    God expects but one thing of you,
    and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far as you are a created being made
    and let God be God in you.

Meister Eckhart

Do U believe in God? | Svensk förskola | Vem äger media? | CA ban on mom & dad | Birth control causes breast cancer

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Both my sons are too young to even worry about it, but my daughter has been exposed to a wide variety of spiritual belief. She knows how her ancestors (both ancient and modern) viewed religion, and how other people have, too. I think that for her (and later my sons) to find anything meaningful she will have to find it for herself. I will help and encourage her wherever I can, but ultimately it is a decision that must be made for oneself by oneself.

As for the ethical component of religion, I am not as laissez-faire. We teach the children "right from wrong", and they have the example of family and friends to guide them.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was raised a liberal Christian and my girlfriend has had mostly an atheist upbringing. Both of us are strongly anti-Christian and anti-clerical.

Since my girlfriend is still pretty much atheist today and since my pantheistic views are inspired various religions all over the world, I will try to teach my future children the pantheistic views I have and stimulate them not to focus on just one religion. Whether they will accept of reject this, is something time will tell.

Last Online
    Friday, April 20th, 2012 @ 09:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/English
    Ancestry
    Scotland and England
    Subrace
    Nordid/Bruenn
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    DeFacto Relationship
    Occupation
    IT Analyst
    Politics
    Ride the Tiger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If/When I find someone crazy enough to reproduce with me I will leave the children to decide what they want to learn. I will introduce them to Neitzsche and Evola and Black Sun at an early age though
    "For the authentic revolutionary conservative, what really counts is to be faithful not to past forms and institutions, but rather to principles of which such forms and institutions have been particular expressions, adequate for a specific period of time and in a specific geographical area." Julius Evola - Men Among the Ruins

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beornulf View Post
    I will introduce them to Neitzsche and Evola and Black Sun at an early age though
    Be careful with that. The thought police surely wouldn't like it and children under 10 wouldn't be able to distinguish between information they can share and information they can't share with others. You don't want your kids to become outcasts because they happen to hold controversial views.

I would definitely like to teach my children the proper historical background and the proper philosophers, but I don't think it would be wise to start with that before the age of 10, unless you're homeschooling them.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wouldn't raise my children anything but Catholic. I don't mind if my husband is not super religious, but I still prefer someone who was raised Catholic like myself. I wouldn't even say I'm staunchly Catholic when it comes to dogma and such, but tradition is important to me, and my family has been Catholic for about a 1000 years now so I definitely wouldn't want to be the one to break it. Plus, I cannot stand many Protestants either

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast