Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Phones: Should children have them?

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    This "keeping track" of kids excuse is crap.
    I look at it as, not keeping track but having something in case a child, young girl for example was walking alone, someone approached her, or anything similar, maybe it could be of help. Now days there are many things that could happen to anyone. I understand the cell is not superman...but ya know I heard a story of a women kidnapped and car jacked and she pushed 911 on her phone hidden, and let the dispatchers hear her screaming for him to let her out, ( without him knowing ) and the police got him.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, October 1st, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The situation is likely worse there than here. Europe has efficient and safe public transportation compared to the U.S. Children aren't as reliant on their parents to accompany them as they are here where everything is relatively distanced and cars are the main form of transportation. Because of that, they gain independence at an earlier age and cell phones too. I received my first when I was 14, as did my friends. In Germany, however, there were children not even out of elementary school walking around alone, chatting with their friends on their mobile phones. It was quite a shocker.

Parents usually only give cell phones to their children for emergencies. The downside is, they grow to be used for other purposes and sometimes not with the parents' acknowledgement, which is why it isn't a good idea for young children. They put all the numbers of their friends on their phone, talk to them on it whenever possible, and run up unnecessary phone bills because having a cell phone makes them feel fashionable, important, older. It's a bad behavior and an unhealthy one too. Developing brains don't need microwaves next to them for hours a day.

Most children want to go someplace indoors like the mall, movies or to a restaurant. Payphones should be nearby and most all businesses and people will gladly let you use their phone if you haven't any money. They really aren't all that necessary if parents know where their children are going to be, who they are going to be with, and they aren't the kind to take advantage of their trust.

Last Online
    Monday, August 21st, 2017 @ 11:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    I do not believe children should own mobile phones. What ever happened to playing in the middle of nature? Children should be children. I do not own a mobile phone myself, by the way.
    Ditto on that! The last thing I need on me is another means for people to pointlessly text and call me while I'm out. I don't see a problem with owning/using cell phones, but it has become a trend and makes people feel more obligated to keep in touch with their "circle" while boasting their new features.

It is becoming a concern amongst kids and teens (especially) since texting/talking on the phone while driving is causing an increase in car wrecks. It can also be a deterent at school since the kids/teens will focus more on their next text gossip rather than their education.
    "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Last Online
    Saturday, February 18th, 2017 @ 10:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    I'm Elite
    Religion
    Jesus isn't
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I got my first mobile phone for my 15th birthday, the main reason is that it had only been in the last 2 or 3 years that people had really started using them alot. Now I find my mobile phone indespensible for keeping in touch with people all over the country and just to let people know when I'm going to be a bit late. However my life was none the worse off for not having one before 15, in fact I don't know what I would've done with one had I had one.. I guess we've got ourselves into a debacle though that some parents have been buying their kids mobile phones at a young age and so now every kid wants one so not to be left out.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pay 'phones ?

Deary, very soon, pay 'phones will be a thing of the past. In many urban areas they have been essentially useless for over a decade owing to vandalism. Pay 'phones used to be all over Grand Central Terminal in NYC, but I didn't see a single one the last time I was there.

Cell. 'phones appeared too late to make much of an impression on me. I have one but I never carry it unless I'm travelling. Only about six people know my number and they know that the odds are about 100:1 that I won't have it with me if they try to call me.

During his boyhood and adolescence, the boy next door gave the impression that he had been born with a cell. 'phone glued to the side of his head. I notice that now that he is in his late 20's, he doesn't seem as firmly wedded to the thing. It's usually in his pocket nowadays. Maybe he got "talked out".

It seems to me that cell.'phones have just replaced the separate 'phone lines for the family's kids that were popular in the 80's. Teenagers have always spent a long time on the 'phone talking about nothing in particular. I did back in the 40's, lying on my back on the floor with my feet up on the nearest piece of furniture and the handset tucked under my chin. Nobody in the family evesdropped on my conversations because their sheer banality was stultifying.

The cell. 'phone craze is just an extension of that phase. They'll outgrow it.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 @ 06:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinised Bruenn altered by Med.
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainraven View Post
    I got my first mobile phone for my 15th birthday, the main reason is that it had only been in the last 2 or 3 years that people had really started using them alot. Now I find my mobile phone indespensible for keeping in touch with people all over the country and just to let people know when I'm going to be a bit late. However my life was none the worse off for not having one before 15, in fact I don't know what I would've done with one had I had one.. I guess we've got ourselves into a debacle though that some parents have been buying their kids mobile phones at a young age and so now every kid wants one so not to be left out.
    It's true. I believe I only got mine at the age of 14 or 15 as well. It was something I wanted at the time and bought with my own money.

The way that some parents these days are willing to fork out sometimes upwards of $500 NZD for a cosmic gadget for their kid(s) is sickening.

I found that in Europe the trend was worse. One had to have a phone with an MP3 player, photo capabilities - the works. If it was strictly for keeping in contact with their parents there would be no need for these features.

I would have to say that New Zealand is an exception to the rule - we have a miniscule population spread out over many different towns and cities. From my own experience elsewhere people don't often have that many friends or contacts outside of their own region.

Children don't need mobile phones and shouldn't have them until 15 or so unless they buy them themselves

Last Online
    Saturday, February 18th, 2017 @ 10:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    I'm Elite
    Religion
    Jesus isn't
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    One had to have a phone with an MP3 player, photo capabilities - the works.
    Oh those fancy fandangles just annoy me, the MP3 player has very little space, the cameras nowhere near as good as a digital camera, in a years time there'll be something ten times as good and in all likelyhood your just going to drop it in a puddle and break it anyway!!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    This is data coming from this morning's biggest greek news portal:

The latest research says that 2 out of 3 kids in elementary school have a already mobile phone. In junior high (gymnasium), it's 8 out of 10. Arghh. :

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think anyone should have one until they start driving.

- Keep track of your children?
    Bull. If you need a cell phone to keep track of your ten year old, you need to rethink your (lack of) parenting skills, not buy them a phone. No child should go anywhere without an adult who has access to a phone / cell in case of emergencies.

This past May I was at my little cousin's 5th birthday party. Our 11 year old cousin was on her cell phone for a little bit. I'm sorry (no wait, no I'm not), but if you're at a family function with a dozen or so relatives and family friends about you need to get your ass off the phone and pay attention to the people there.
    Otherwise, you get your older cousin (me) following you around and taking photos. - You're 11, what need have you for privacy?

I didn't get my first cell (which I still have) until I started driving. I still rarely use it. I dislike phones in general though. I don't understand the deal with all the knick-knacks and doodads attached to phones now. I want my phone to be a PHONE. Mine has texting capabilities, which I still don't understand the concept of. You have a phone, why wouldn't you just leave a message? I have bad enough carpal tunnel from a computer keyboard.
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Another problem I thought of, it makes it harder for parents to keep track of who their kid is talking to and hanging out with, and makes it more difficult to keep their kids from hanging out with 'bad influences'
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast