View Poll Results: Do you grow your own vegetables?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...Always.

6 33.33%
  • Yes....when I can.

3 16.67%
  • No, but I want to.

7 38.89%
  • No interest, too much effort.

2 11.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do You Grow Your Own Vegetables?

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do You Grow Your Own Vegetables?

Do you grow your own vegetables?. Have you in the the past? Or just grow a few presently?..Or perhaps never (you are definitely missing out! :smt110 ...taste & health wise).

I grow what I can, due to seasons & the extreme heat of Summer in Qld (Australia) limits what is feasible for me to grow. I have grown (& currently growing *)..Silverbeet (Spinach)*, Radishes*, Beans *, Passionfruit *, Bananas, Cabbage, Strawberries*, Chillies*, Shallots*, Chives*, Tomatoes (cherry type), Pumpkins, Potatoes*, Celery, Snow peas, Capsicums, Eggplant, Strawberries *, Lettuce, Mangoes (though the flying foxes attack our trees)...and probably some I have forgotten.

It is rather exciting to harvest your efforts which was spawned though some water, blood and bone, and care. Digging up spuds is especially fun.:-D (birds chirping, my cats interested in what I am doing, & carefully digging up the pale skinned gems of new potatoes...:-D

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    When I was a kid, I used to grow various fruits in the small section of our garden that was 'mine'. The habit didn't last, but I'd like to take it up again.

Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 02:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I wish I could say that I do it, but unfortunately I can't. Oh sure, the desire is there, but since I often work 15 - 18 hours days, not to mention two steadily growing boys to feed, I often find myself without the time to properly dedicate to it.

Growing up myself, my mother and father had a vegetable garden on our property, and we were never lacked wholesome, homegrown vegetables. It is those times that I wish I could return to in my life. My grandparents, who also lived next door on several acres of land, also grew their own vegetables. For those of you who have never had vine-ripened fruit or vegetables, I can wholeheartedly urge you to do so!

We do, however, buy from only local farmers.

Last Online
    Thursday, November 4th, 2010 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    All Irish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Child Care
    Politics
    Racially Aware Celtic Pagan
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Oh i would love to grow my own veggies, we dont have a garden "sniff sniff"... My grandad grew all his own veggies - potatoes - Tomatoes, they where so good, especially the cabbage.. Once i have a green my green thumb will appear..

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Yes, we have a garden--although now it is cold and barren with a light dusting of snow on it and only a few beets and carrots left in the ground. I should have pulled them two days ago when it was warm and the soil had thawed out just a touch!

We do the typical veggie gardens for this area--corn, beans, peas, carrots, potatoes, squash, beets, pumpkins, strawberries, broccoli, rhubarb and quite a few herbs.

By no means do we grow enough to sustain ourselves throughout the year after the harvest but we do go pretty deep into the winter on our own potatoes, carrots, peas (frozen), beans (also frozen) and winter squash. We just had quite a feed yesterday actually--being Thanksgiving and all.

Last Online
    Saturday, May 21st, 2005 @ 11:54 PM
    Occupation
    Paralegal/Admin. Assist.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Prior to moving into my current home of 4 years, I grew a good-sized garden consisting of carrots, spinach, cantalope, watermelon, cucumbers (growing out of my ears! I literally had to give them away by the bag) and peas.

My current home is a tad more limited in the ground dept. (but abundant with rabbits), so I do most of planting in portable flower beds on my porch. This year I planted basil, dill, chives and patio tomatoes that actually kept producing up until 2 weeks ago. Other than that, I throw more and more Morning Glory seeds around the ugly areas of my place - they make for great coverage.
    ~Those who cannot hear the music, think the dancer mad~

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 26th, 2005 @ 03:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I used to grow my own vegetables, but unfortunately every year, just as they were almost ripe, Raccoons would invade the vegetable garden and eat just about everything. So I have given up on vegetable growing.

I do have some fruit trees in my backyard, i.e. plum, pear, cherry and apple trees, so I can still say I grow my own fruit for what that is worth.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 14th, 2005 @ 12:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid+East Baltic
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Politics
    Progressive Nationalism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well I have not had a vegetable garden for a number of years now basically because of lack of space due to living in the city, however back when I was a teenager things were much different, my brother & I managed to convert half the back garden into an organic market garden, we grew silverbeet, squash, tomatoes(Normal, Roma & Cherry varietys), Broadbeans, Snowpeas, Strawberries, Capsicum, Chillies, parsley, Basil, Thyme, Corriander, potatoes, pumpkins(miniture types), Lettuce, Shallots, Onions & so fourth, I am sure I have missed a couple.

But overall it put some pocket money in our pockets, gave us a sense of responsibility & also kept the family well fed, if I had the space I would certainly do it again without a second thought, all I got as of now in terms of garden is a small space out the front of my place planted with various flowers.
    "Let your love towards life, be love towards your highest hope:
    and let your highest hope be the highest idea of life."
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

Last Online
    Thursday, March 15th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari
    Prior to moving into my current home of 4 years, I grew a good-sized garden consisting of carrots, spinach, cantalope, watermelon, cucumbers (growing out of my ears! I literally had to give them away by the bag) and peas.
    ....Yes, I grow passionfruits like that...hundreds of them...I have to give them away. Apparently the type I grow goes for something like a $1 each.. (I didn't believe this...they grow like a weed for me)...but several friends have pointed it out...same goes for Mangoes...they can reach ridiculous prices..)

My current home is a tad more limited in the ground dept. (but abundant with rabbits), so I do most of planting in portable flower beds on my porch. This year I planted basil, dill, chives and patio tomatoes that actually kept producing up until 2 weeks ago. Other than that, I throw more and more Morning Glory seeds around the ugly areas of my place - they make for great coverage.
    I love growing herbs. Not only are they hardy (well most are) to the heat of my climate in Oz, they bring fragrance to my garden, help & harmonize my 2 cats well-belling/health, excellent weed and fly suppressant and I use them constantly in my cooking.

I don't particulary like grass and lawns...I find them a waste of time and rather a waste of water..(not to mention...the obsession I see 'Lawn people' get into with weeding, mowing, fertilizing & watering the damn thing..:smt087 ...Actual plants and trees (to me) are far more worthwhile.

Here's a couple of pictures of lawn (well in reality...'weed grass' :haha ) that I exterminated with my herbs and gravel paths.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rosemary.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	100567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heineken in the Dill.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	100568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anti-Grass.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	100569  

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    No, but I wish I did.

Unfortunately I live in Athens where there is no place for rural activities.

I hate urban life, it's driving me crazy!

I hate having to buy overpriced genetically mutated and toxin-full vegetables.

I have the wish of moving to a rural area in the future, where I can be in close touch with nature, bring up my kids in nature, and feed them with stuff that I grow myself, so that I know they are getting the best.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast