Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Thumbs Down Mashed Potato Recipes

Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe 1

Roll mashed potato, left from a meal, in the hands into balls and flatten into cakes. Set to cook in a frying pan containing hot bacon fat or dripping; let brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side. The cakes may be patted down in a little flour before cooking. For baked cakes, set the cakes on a buttered dish, put a small piece of butter on the top of each and let cook in the oven until hot and lightly browned.

~~~

Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe 2

Roll mashed potato, left from a meal, in the hands into balls and flatten into cakes. Set to cook in a frying pan containing hot bacon fat or dripping; let brown on one side, then turn and brown the other side. The cakes may be patted down in a little flour before cooking. For baked cakes, set the cakes on a buttered dish, put a small piece of butter on the top of each and let cook in the oven until hot and lightly browned.

~~~

Wash the potatoes, and pare thin, removing all specks with the point of a knife. Add boiling water, and let boil slowly until thoroughly done, and drain; or cook in a steamer. Shake for a few moments over the open flame. Force through a potato ricer, or mash with a potato masher. Add salt, and a little vegetable butter and a little hot milk, or rich cream, and beat until light. Serve immediately.

~~~

Peas, Mashed Potato And Celery Recipe...

peas (leftover), cooked, passed through meat grinder
    mashed potato (leftover)
    celery, washed, peeled, chopped fine
    milk, scalded
    butter
    seasonings to taste

Mix butter, peas, potato and celery together and add the seasonings. Add the milk slowly until the mixture is as soft and smooth as ordinary mashed potatoes. Put in double boiler and heat for about 10 minutes. Serve.

~~~

Turnips And Potatoes, Mashed Recipe

6 white turnips, peeled, quartered
    6 potatoes, peeled, quartered
    1 cup milk, scalded
    1 tablespoon butter
    seasonings to taste

Boil turnips and potatoes in salted water for 30 minutes. Drain off water. Mash with a potato masher. Add milk, butter and seasonings. Then serve.

Renewed
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I thought I'd add a couple of my mashed potatoe recipes here.

When I make mashed potatoe cakes, I usually add 1 egg and a little four, before frying them. I have found that this holds them together better. I season with a little salt and pepper. These are great for leftover mashed potatoes.

Another good meal with mashed potatoes, that may sound gross, but the kids love it-- is to cut up sausage or hotdogs into small pieces, mix into the potatoes, and top with a yellow cheese, preferably American cheese. (In our house, we usually eat polish sausage.)

Another quick fix that the kids love is to throw a can of unconstituted chicken and rice soup into some mashed potatoes.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 10th, 2010 @ 08:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hash

Boil and mash potatoes
    Boil a pot of peas, corn, carrots, beans and whatever
    Fry some ground hamburger in the pan
    Once the hamburger is cooked throw all the vegetables in with it and fry it all up together into hash.

Cornbeef Hash

Similar and less healthy, just do the same thing with a bag of hashbrowns from the supermarket and a can of corned beef. Not really mashed potatoes I guess, but still potatoes.

Fishcakes

This is my personal favourite.

Soak some salt cod or herring or whatever you have, cod or haddock is the staple around here though. After you leave it for awhile and get enough of the salt out of it break it up into little pieces. At the same time have potatoes boiling. Mash the potatoes up and put flakes of the cod fish in with them. Throw in some onions for flavour as well if you want. Now take this gooey fish/potatoe mix and flatten them into cakes about the size of a hamburger patty. Throw those in the frying pan with some butter and you've got some good old atlantic cuisine. If you want to get adventurous you can try topping it off with some thinly cut dulse (red seaweed which is harvested and dried on the coasts of Nova Scotia). A good side dish for this is scruncheons and onions. Nothing too complicated with those, just chuck some pork scruncheons and sliced onion into a frying pan. Let em sit until the scruncheons get right crispy. Top it all off with pepper before you eat it.