Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Armanen Futhork

Last Online
    Saturday, October 4th, 2008 @ 04:56 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for replying. I've looked into the Armanen runes and I've read the lines of Hávamál that supposedly describe the runes, and I'm convinced that the Armanen runes are important to our heritage.

Senior Member Eccardus Teutonicus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 10:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Austro-British
    Ancestry
    Lothian, Cork, Donegal, Austria
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Scholar
    Politics
    Elitism
    Religion
    Medieval Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Volek View Post
    Thanks for replying. I've looked into the Armanen runes and I've read the lines of Hávamál that supposedly describe the runes, and I'm convinced that the Armanen runes are important to our heritage.
    One Armanen concept definitely important to our heritage is List's trifidic-triune triad and bifidic-biune dyad. As for the Armanen staves themselves I feel that List by making the mysteries of the Rúnatál þáttir óðins concrete takes away some of their power, because he restricts them into stave forms, whereas if they are understood simply as rúna, as "mysteries", they retain a great deal of Óðinnic power that is inherent to them; methodisation kills the freer nature of the spells, and the futharkh therefore robs them of some of their magic. That's just my opinion.
    οὐκ ἐμοῦ, ἀλλὰ τοῦ λόγου ἀκούσαντας ὁμολογεῖν σοφόν ἐστιν ἓν πάντα εἶναί.
    Heraclitus

Ilian
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, June 13th, 2019 @ 11:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Flevoland Flevoland
    Cancer
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blutwölfin View Post
    And they said that the Younger Fuşark was the original one while the Elder Fuşark was "invented" by some historians who just added some more runes to make it look more "serious".
    If that is true then it explains something I never understood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runic_calendar

For the runic calendar 19 runes are needed. The Elder Fuşark has more than 19 runes. Yet for the calendar 3 extra runes were devised.

Maybe the Elder Fuşark was not used for the calendar because it was not original?

Last Online
    Sunday, March 4th, 2012 @ 10:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    German/Scottish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Germany/Scotland/Ireland
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-employed
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Source of information

And they said that the Younger Fuşark was the original one while the Elder Fuşark was "invented" by some historians who just added some more runes to make it look more "serious".

Alaf Sal Runa!
    Please reveal who "they" are and why you believe that the Elder Futhark was "invented by some historians." What is the source of this information please.

Wir sind alle Armanrn!
    Haunebu III

JOGRAL

Runes

My friends, I believe that the runes are truly discovered by Wotan-Odin
    when of its auto-sacrifice in the Igdrasil Tree (the only true savior of the - Hiperborians) for giving to us as war weapons for its liberation of the chains of the matter.
    In this magic War of the darkness of the illusion and of the great lie that is...
    that is the context that surrounds us.
    They are truly increated and aeternal signs and its number should be of thirteen more three runes.
    Its Spiritual interpretation allows to recover the domain of the "Language of the Birds".
    It is for here that all your efforts should be oriented.

Jogral

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:
    In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity.
    My experience with the Amanen runes led me to understand that all things in the natural world are always seeking to return to simplicity. This is evident since all life begins in a simple manner, becomes complex and then returns to dirt.

The indo-European root language is said to have consisted mainly of vowels. More consonants were added as the people became more complex. Much the same way that a baby learns to speak. I think that this is key to understanding the runes. The forces they contain are elemental. As such, they are also unbreakable.

To say that list merely reduced the other runic systems isn't quite true. He only recognized that, like everything else, the runes began as roots and then branched out. Everything in it's root form, is not only simpler, but also more concentrated and potent. Perhaps this was revealed to List in the same manner that it was revealed to Woden.

At any rate, I am very interested in the work of List. Are there any more translations available that any one knows of?

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 9th, 2010 @ 01:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As an addition to this topic:

The Armanen Runes lack every kind of evidence and are no real Runes, but invented ones, resp. changed Scandinavian Runes.
    The Armanen Futharkh: A Controversial Rune Row?

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 20th, 2011 @ 03:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Nordic
    Ancestry
    Norse
    Handfasted
    Religion
    Heiğinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reading through these posts, which are interesting and helpful, one thing occurred to me. Me, being a humble layman, be no expert on the subject. The thing that occurred to me was, that there were and are many educated folk trying the make sense of the runes, trying to match each to it's counterpart of our 'Roman alphabet. The one true source of the runes are actual rune-stones and other various etching made by our ancestors. They never had as many phonetic sounds as we have in our alphabet. Maybe the next best source to look at, is the early use of Icelandic language. The 'Younger Futhark' give promise of being the original sounds of our forefathers.
    But, this is just me looking at it from outside the box. I was always one for questioning the publishings of others. Because, who are they anyway? What authority do they have on a subject? Are they not just folk (albeit with a title of some sort) just as you or I with an opinion of their own?

Remember, the original users of the runes, had less sounds to their tongue than we.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 @ 01:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    angloitalian
    Ancestry
    English Italian Scottish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grin

I respect List's work though I have long ago chosen to work "directly", using sources that don't date past the Runic Period.

List's aims were often political (like the unification of Austria and Germany), and he was influenced by the anti-semitic views of his time. Personally I believe that when you look through a dirty mirror you will not get a clear view.

I will use mythology books elaborated and transated, but when it comes to runes I use the runic poems like the Abecedarium and references from texts like Tacitus's Germania and work my way from there, anything "modern" is of less interest to me. Of course this is a spiritual path, at least for me, so that is also a part of my work.
    To be quite honest, Germanic Philology sudies confirm, and I do not doubt it, that the eldest futhark available is indeed the Elder Futhark, derived from italic symbols and bronze age ideographic carvings, around the second century BC, under the insipration and Guidance of Hàr of course.

Because of the organic and fluid nature of languages, it is only normal that some sounds appear and dissapear and the alphabet changes accordingly
    You can trace *i.e. from *germ from ags. afris. got, etc etc etc because of the various rules like Verner's or the consonant mutation
    (I am sorry if the translations are not perfect, I am translating from Italian Terminology)

At the end of the day, One must also follow what one feels is true, with watever means they consider important. When in doubt, ask Odin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456