Thread: How far do you stray from the path?

Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

How far do you stray from the path?

I find one of the greatest things about being a heathen/pagan is that while I adhere to a standard of beliefs, usually borrowed from several different sources, I am not bound to adhere specifically to any one particular branch of heathenism, and I feel that I am allowed to stray in order to find the path that fits my needs and personality the best way.

As an American of Germanic and Celtic blood, I feel deep inside that my very blood revolts against beliefs not ingrained by centuries of Germanic-Celtic ancestry, culture and honour. Of course, I have the utmost respect for the Graeco-Roman and Slavic forms of paganism. I simply don't identify with them though, since I have no blood that hails from those regions.

Back to the original question: How far do you stray from the path? There is a poll on this forum about "What kind of heathen are you?" After pondering this for a while, I realized that while some of the folks I saw answered that they are "old school heathens", the very idea that they were on the internet answering a poll about their type of heathenism was absurd, and that they were obviously Modern Heathens!

What is heathenism/paganism to you? The religious right says that anyone who does not believe in Judaeo-Christian faith is a pagan. Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists would argue this point, obviously.

How is it that you connect to the natural world?

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 10:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am mostly attracted to Germanic heathendom, especially the concept of Wyrd. One of the problems of modern heathendom is that so much of the ancient esoteric knowledge has been lost (or at least clouded) and we're mostly left with exoteric teachings (the myths, for example), while interpretation is difficult. I was raised as a Christian and was for a long time under the impression that ancient Germanic religion was rather superficial and simplistic, even though I was fascinated with the myths. When I first encountered the concept of Wyrd on the website of the Odinic Rite, this changed rapidly and I came to believe my Germanic ancestors possessed much more esoteric knowledge than I had previously assumed.
    In addition to Germanic heathendom, I have been influenced by Hinduism (which also has Indo-European roots) and by Evola's Traditionalism.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I was in a rush yesterday when I started this thread. Tonight when I return from work I shall elaborate better what I had intended to say.

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siegfried
    I am mostly attracted to Germanic heathendom, especially the concept of Wyrd. One of the problems of modern heathendom is that so much of the ancient esoteric knowledge has been lost (or at least clouded) and we're mostly left with exoteric teachings (the myths, for example), while interpretation is difficult. I was raised as a Christian and was for a long time under the impression that ancient Germanic religion was rather superficial and simplistic, even though I was fascinated with the myths. When I first encountered the concept of Wyrd on the website of the Odinic Rite, this changed rapidly and I came to believe my Germanic ancestors possessed much more esoteric knowledge than I had previously assumed.
    In addition to Germanic heathendom, I have been influenced by Hinduism (which also has Indo-European roots) and by Evola's Traditionalism.
    I have been attaracted to the Anglo-Saxon concept of Wyrd ever since I was in the 7th grade or so. In fact, I borrow most of my particular brand of heathenism from that belief. Coupled with Wodenism and Odalism, it's what makes me a heathen today. I particularly like the aspect of Wyrd that everything is a web, and you can start anywhere in that web and find that you are at the center. All events and happens are intricately linked with one another, but they are not governed by Wyrd, because Wyrd is the happening.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by folkish
    I have been attaracted to the Anglo-Saxon concept of Wyrd ever since I was in the 7th grade or so. In fact, I borrow most of my particular brand of heathenism from that belief. Coupled with Wodenism and Odalism, it's what makes me a heathen today. I particularly like the aspect of Wyrd that everything is a web, and you can start anywhere in that web and find that you are at the center. All events and happens are intricately linked with one another, but they are not governed by Wyrd, because Wyrd is the happening.
    Wyrd is ones own unshakeable and unescapable destiny. Our only free will is in how we deal with and accept our fate. It may be ones fate to die in battle but one can choose to die nobley or ignobley.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Ah yes, Wyrd and the web spinners themselves, the Norns! Of course, "Wyrd" is the precursor of our modern English word, "weird".

Some good reading on Wyrd here:

http://www.ealdriht.org/wyrd.html

Though it may be old hat to some.....

Anyway--I agree with Folkish in that for me, one of the beautiful things about Heathendom, or modern Heathendom rather, is that there is flexibility and room to move, so to say. I do not follow any strict set of dogmatic guidlines but instead, operate more intuitively and by listening and watching for "signs" of when something is "right" or "wrong" or when I am spoken to by Nature or when crtical juncture of the web of Wyrd is at hand and a decision must be made. I do not believe that our own personal web of Wyrd is absolute & already decided but instead, more of a set of potential courses laid out before us at birth from which we must choose. There are of course some restrictions based on our familial lineage, geogrpahic origins, etc.... For example, being the ruler of Iraq was never in my Wyrd, LOL. But, within this loose framework or web we have some control over our destiny.

More to come....

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, January 6th, 2019 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Aryo-Germanic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 3/8 English, 1/8 Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    V10b
    Country
    England England
    State
    Northumberland Northumberland
    Scorpio
    Family
    Parent,Co-habiting
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    Exposing idiocy
    Religion
    Wodenist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalonord
    Ah yes, Wyrd and the web spinners themselves, the Norns! Of course, "Wyrd" is the precursor of our modern English word, "weird".

Some good reading on Wyrd here:

http://www.ealdriht.org/wyrd.html

Though it may be old hat to some.....

Anyway--I agree with Folkish in that for me, one of the beautiful things about Heathendom, or modern Heathendom rather, is that there is flexibility and room to move, so to say. I do not follow any strict set of dogmatic guidlines but instead, operate more intuitively and by listening and watching for "signs" of when something is "right" or "wrong" or when I am spoken to by Nature or when crtical juncture of the web of Wyrd is at hand and a decision must be made. I do not believe that our own personal web of Wyrd is absolute & already decided but instead, more of a set of potential courses laid out before us at birth from which we must choose. There are of course some restrictions based on our familial lineage, geogrpahic origins, etc.... For example, being the ruler of Iraq was never in my Wyrd, LOL. But, within this loose framework or web we have some control over our destiny.

More to come....
    Excellent, yes!!

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 @ 10:14 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by folkish
    I particularly like the aspect of Wyrd that everything is a web, and you can start anywhere in that web and find that you are at the center. All events and happens are intricately linked with one another, but they are not governed by Wyrd, because Wyrd is the happening.
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by AryanKrieger
    Wyrd is ones own unshakeable and unescapable destiny. Our only free will is in how we deal with and accept our fate. It may be ones fate to die in battle but one can choose to die nobley or ignobley.
    I do not believe in free will in the sense that I perceive the individual will as completely integrated in the Cosmic Will, or Wyrd. We do not exist as discrete units with an isolated will, but as threads in the greater fabric of the universe. Some interpret the lack of 'free' will as fatalism; I, however, consider that a misconception with roots in Eastern dualism. Fate is not entirely external; we ourselves are a force of Fate, we are Fate/Wyrd.