Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay drugs addicts to not have children?

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 07:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3508084.stm

'Pay addicts not to have children'

Women drug addicts should be paid to take contraception to stop them having children, according to a drugs expert.

Professor Neil McKeganey, from the Centre for Drug Misuse Research, said there was a crisis in meeting the needs of children born to drug using mothers.

The professor has called for a system where women are paid to take long-term contraception to prevent pregnancies.

Campaign group Scotland Against Drugs called for more support services and warned against infringing human rights.

Prof McKeganey surveyed 1,000 drug users and found that more than 60% of addicted mothers and 85% of addicted fathers no longer looked after their children.

He said the situation must change and blamed the "chaotic lifestyles" of addicts for the problem and its effects on children.

His research suggests that more than 50,000 children in Scotland have been exposed to drug addiction at home.

It found a number had even woken up to find their parents had died from an overdose while others had had their Christmas presents sold to pay for drugs.

We now have such a crisis in Scotland that we ought to give active consideration to paying female drug users to take long-term contraception

Professor Neil McKeganey
    Centre for Drug Misuse Research

"It does look as if, in many instances, female drug users are becoming pregnant not because they want to but because of the sheer chaos of their lifestyle," he said.

He said that in parts of the United States, female drug users were given government cash to take long-term contraception, such as injections.

And he warned: "We now have such a crisis in Scotland that we ought to give active consideration to paying female drug users to take long-term contraception."

'Draconian measure'

Professor McKeganey also suggested that drug addicts who were already parents could be given a year to kick the habit or face the prospect of having their children put up for adoption.

Scotland Against Drugs said it recognised there was a problem but said children in these situations must be supported.

It has called on more education and help for mothers and improved services for looking after their children.

Director Alistair Ramsey said: "I think it's a bit Draconian to suggest that contraception injections should be an option when it's not known in advance whether the recipient woman would be a good or a bad parent."

Catholic Church spokesman Peter Kearney said: "If you are going to sterilise drug-addicted women, why stop there? Why not sterilise alcoholics?

"This is social engineering on a massive scale and it's completely unacceptable."

A spokesman for the Scottish Executive said it was well aware of the risks to the children of drug using parents.

He said: "We believe that the needs of the child should be paramount and have published guidelines for service providers entitled Getting our Priorities Right.

"Along with other UK departments, we are currently considering our response to the Hidden Harm report on the children of drug using parents."

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Plan to give drug addicts contraceptives

MURDO MACLEOD
    POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

FEMALE drug addicts will be given long-term contraceptives under plans being considered by ministers.

The Scottish Executive has said it is examining plans which were drawn up last year which would see drug users given long-lasting contraceptives, such as injections and coils in order to prevent them having unwanted pregnancies.

The admission, comes in the wake of dramatic proposals by a leading academic which would see women on drugs paid to go on contraceptives.

But a spokesman for the Executive said ministers did not envisage paying addicts not to have children, and no-one would be forced to have contraception. He explained that the Hidden Harm report, which was published last June, suggested long-term contraception for drug addicts as one of a number of recommendations.

Neil McKeganey, professor of drug misuse research at Glasgow University, said paying women addicts to take contraception would slash the number of unwanted pregnancies among drug abusers.

He said the move would help tackle the "crisis" of neglect experienced by tens of thousands of children with drug addict parents.

McKeganey?s research showed some children were not being fed or clothed properly. He said a few had woken up to find their parents had died from an

?The situation is far beyond our capacity?

overdose. His research also suggested that more than 60% of addict mothers and 85% of addict fathers no longer looked after their children. Many of these children were instead being looked after by grandparents or the local authority.

McKeganey said: "[The] situation is so far beyond our capacity that we need to look at ways of reducing the likelihood of female drug users becoming pregnant."

But a spokesman for the Catholic Church, Peter Kearney, said: "If you are going to sterilise drug-addicted women, why stop there? Why not sterilise alcoholics? There must be as many women with chronic alcohol problems."

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...m?id=293362004

Last Online
    Saturday, March 7th, 2020 @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Again, Drug Addicts should be spayed or neutered...

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap
    Your response begs the question..."Are you willing to help chip in to pay for such a program?"

Personally, I would have a hard time agreeing to pay hard earned money for such a program. I'm not opposed to the idea at all, infact I really like it.
    But I certainly don't want to pay for it. That's where it becomes the governments job to utilize tax payer funding more more effectively.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 7th, 2020 @ 03:57 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-Employed
    Religion
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odalist
    Your response begs the question..."Are you willing to help chip in to pay for such a program?"

Personally, I would have a hard time agreeing to pay hard earned money for such a program. I'm not opposed to the idea at all, infact I really like it.
    But I certainly don't want to pay for it. That's where it becomes the governments job to utilize tax payer funding more more effectively.
    Our tax dollars go to thousands of private programs we know nothing about...what would be another one we WOULD know about that would actually be good for society as a whole?

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Our tax dollars go to thousands of private programs we know nothing about...what would be another one we WOULD know about that would actually be good for society as a whole?
    Exactly my point. What I mean by utilizing the funds properly is to cut spending on these other needless programs, which would free up money which would in turn be used to fund such a program. However, civil rights and humanitarian activists and lobbyists would be down our throat demanding that these people be allowed to infect the earth with their genetic poison. Some would say that the money should rather be spent on rehabilitation and education. I am for that as well, though not as much as paying them not to breed at all. Does the world really need more drug addicted infants?

Last Online
    Thursday, November 4th, 2010 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    All Irish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Child Care
    Politics
    Racially Aware Celtic Pagan
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    My mother is a recovering drug addict and i'm certainly glad she had my baby sister who i find to be a wonderful addition to my life, it all depends on the person in question, maybe if this topic didn't effect me personally i would agree " but since it does" i don't support it :smt003

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMaiden
    My mother is a recovering drug addict and i'm certainly glad she had my baby sister who i find to be a wonderful addition to my life, it all depends on the person in question, maybe if this topic didn't effect me personally i would agree " but since it does" i don't support it :smt003
    Good points. I obviously feel differently because I have never been affected by that kind of situation. There are always at least two sides to every story. Having said that, my opinion remains the same. Of course there are going to be special circumstances, but I still think it's a great idea. I think that starting such a program now would drastically reduce problems in the future.

Last Online
    Thursday, November 4th, 2010 @ 12:54 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    All Irish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Child Care
    Politics
    Racially Aware Celtic Pagan
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soil

Good points. I obviously feel differently because I have never been affected by that kind of situation. There are always at least two sides to every story. Having said that, my opinion remains the same. Of course there are going to be special circumstances, but I still think it's a great idea. I think that starting such a program now would drastically reduce problems in the future.
    There are a truck load of junkies in dublin i would gladfully neuter or sterilize myself!

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Gemini
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    When can we start?

I have heard that there is a serious gypsy problem in Eire right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast