Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ'

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ewergrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Gemini
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Gibson's 'The Passion of the Christ'

    Who has seen it? Opinions? :crucify

  2. #2
    New Member PsycholgclMishap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I saw "The Passion of the Christ" on Friday.

    It wasn't at all what I expected. The movie was 2 hours long which is about twice as long as it should of been, maybe even 4 times as long...

    The "devil" or "demon" entity depicted in the film was completely unnecessary and seemingly misplaced during certain scenes.

    There is a 40-minute duration in the film in which Jesus is pictured carrying (or dragging) the cross up a hill or hills and is repeatedly whipped by Roman soldiers. The same crap over and over and over again.

    I was extremely disappointed. This movie was overall extremely boring. There were a few decent to good scenes but nothing worth dying over.

    I don't understand the frenzy over this at all.

    On a side note, I don't think Jews were depicted wrongfully.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ewergrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Gemini
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    On a side note, I don't think Jews were depicted wrongfully.

    Ok. But didn't Gibson remove a lot of the scenes that were considered offensive by such organizations as the ADL? Having said that, how exactly were the Jews portrayed? I still have not seen the film. I did hear from a co-worker though that the theatre he went to has "Passion tents" or something where people could go into and CRY after seeing the movie. He reported to me that even children were sobbing and had to go into these special areas just to cope with what they had seen. Although I imagine that the primary reason for this is not a spiritual awakening in the children, but rather a natural reaction to seeing a man nailed to a cross and crucified on a screen that is 30 feet tall. Rather graphic and gruesome for a ten year old, I'm sure.

  4. #4
    New Member PsycholgclMishap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsmaschine
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    On a side note, I don't think Jews were depicted wrongfully.

    Ok. But didn't Gibson remove a lot of the scenes that were considered offensive by such organizations as the ADL? Having said that, how exactly were the Jews portrayed? I still have not seen the film. I did hear from a co-worker though that the theatre he went to has "Passion tents" or something where people could go into and CRY after seeing the movie. He reported to me that even children were sobbing and had to go into these special areas just to cope with what they had seen. Although I imagine that the primary reason for this is not a spiritual awakening in the children, but rather a natural reaction to seeing a man nailed to a cross and crucified on a screen that is 30 feet tall. Rather graphic and gruesome for a ten year old, I'm sure.
    Yes, Gibson removed a single scene in which a crowd [supposedly] could have reacted with backlash against Jews.

    I don't understand how someone could cry after seeing this movie. Those people, I'm assuming, must be extremely weak-minded "individuals".

  5. #5
    Senior Member Ewergrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Gemini
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    Yes, Gibson removed a single scene in which a crowd [supposedly] could have reacted with backlash against Jews.

    I don't understand how someone could cry after seeing this movie. Those people, I'm assuming, must be extremely weak-minded "individuals".

    Well, you must remember, I live in New Orleans. The guy I work with lives in Mississippi, where everyone is a god-fearing Christian zealot/fundamentalist. The main reason I have not gone to see it yet is because of all the church groups that have been going and what not. I do NOT wish to be around them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member cosmocreator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 07:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Gender
    Age
    54
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Posts
    3,861
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    I don't understand how someone could cry after seeing this movie.
    Music is used to bring people to tears. If it were a silent film, few people or none would cry. Was the musical score dramatic?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ewergrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Gemini
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocreator
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    I don't understand how someone could cry after seeing this movie.
    Music is used to bring people to tears. If it were a silent film, few people or none would cry. Was the musical score dramatic?

    I'm sure it was very dramatic, good point. of course, I haven't seen the film myself, so I will have to wait and see. Have you seen it Cosmo?

  8. #8
    New Member PsycholgclMishap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Last Online
    Friday, August 17th, 2007 @ 09:44 PM
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Posts
    491
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsmaschine
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocreator
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    I don't understand how someone could cry after seeing this movie.
    Music is used to bring people to tears. If it were a silent film, few people or none would cry. Was the musical score dramatic?

    I'm sure it was very dramatic, good point. of course, I haven't seen the film myself, so I will have to wait and see. Have you seen it Cosmo?
    Actually, the score was hardly dramatic...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ewergrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Last Online
    Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 03:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European Ancestry
    Country
    United States United States
    Gender
    Zodiac Sign
    Gemini
    Posts
    3,558
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    Actually, the score was hardly dramatic...
    You are the only one I have talked to who has such a poor opinion of this film.

  10. #10
    Anonymous
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kriegsmaschine
    Quote Originally Posted by PsycholgclMishap

    Actually, the score was hardly dramatic...
    You are the only one I have talked to who has such a poor opinion of this film.
    Wait till you see it, Troy. You'll understand. :smt002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Just Got Back from the Passion
    By Taras Bulba in forum Film, TV, & Performing Arts
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Thursday, January 25th, 2007, 05:31 AM
  2. Evangelicals aid Gibson's Christ film
    By Loki in forum Protestantism
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Monday, May 10th, 2004, 04:04 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Friday, February 20th, 2004, 01:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •