Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    I like to make my own pizza, because I'm very picky with the ingredients. I don't like olives on the pizza for one. It's not hard to make your own pizza. Some markets sell pizza dough for those who aren't patient to make the dough. Then you just put the ingredients you want on it and place it in the oven. Yum yum!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harm Wulf View Post
    Sure, do whatever you want, but don´t hope the Italians (or who bakes the pizza for you) will ever leave America with people like you living there and paying money for them.
    Most people involved with pizza making are not Italian. The founder & CEO of Papa John's (a popular pizzeria chain) is John Schnatter. We don't need Italians to make Italian food for us, just like we don't need Chinese people to staff Chinese restaurants or Thais for Thia restaurants etc... except in the latter-cases there are some people who think it is not authentic if you are not waited on by a member of the appropriate ethnicity.

You should also remember that the tomato is a New World plant. There would be no pizza or any Italian cuisine as we now know it without the tomato. So you might say that pizza is an American food.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    You should also remember that the tomato is a New World plant. There would be no pizza or any Italian cuisine as we now know it without the tomato. So you might say that pizza is an American food.

I knew that why didn't I think of it first awwww shucks
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Monday, December 14th, 2009 @ 07:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Heliocracy
    Religion
    Ariosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most people involved with pizza making are not Italian. The founder & CEO of Papa John's (a popular pizzeria chain) is John Schnatter. We don't need Italians to make Italian food for us, just like we don't need Chinese people to staff Chinese restaurants or Thais for Thia restaurants etc...
    I apologize for this mistake, but in Germany you can be sure that China-food is made by Chinese and Pizza made by Italians, kepab made by Turks etc.
    http://forums.skadi.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19276&datel  ine=1225999802
    Irren ist menschlich, lügen demokratisch. - Dávila

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

McDonald's hamburgers and pizza

It has been my experience that the vast majority of pizzerias in the US are run by Greeks. But, whoever makes it, pizza is an AMERICAN dish. The WORD "pizza" comes from the Bay of Naples area, but none of the "pizzas" of that area before the late 1950's bore any resemblance to what we call a pizza, namely, a tomato-and-cheese pie.

By 1954, pizza had begun to become popular in the US, though often called "apizza", "lapizza" or even "lupizza". I was in Italy at the time and sought pizza in Taranto, Genova, Livorno, Firenze, Pisa, and Roma. IT DID NOT EXIST.

Friends of mine who visited Italy later have told me that they did not encounter pizza until after 1960. The only place where I found pizza in southern Europe in 1954 was at a small pizzeria on the Rue Canebiere in
    Marseilles, France. This establishment was run by a deportee from Brooklyn, N.Y.

Pizza definitely existed at Lake Parsippany, NJ in 1921. [The mother of a colleague of mine remembered eating it there then as a little girl.] It was called "tomato pie." It is claimed that it was invented by the chef at Tiffany's Restaurant in New York City in 1897 . This has been disputed.

Anyhow, pizza was introduced to Italy and the rest of Europe from the United States in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Most good pizzerias use fresh ingredients in making their pizzas and they are wholesome nourishing [if a tad indigestible] food.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 12:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    You should also remember that the tomato is a New World plant. There would be no pizza or any Italian cuisine as we now know it without the tomato.
    There are several excellent Italian dishes which do not require the use of a tomato in the slightest.

Spaghetti Alio e Olio con Frutti di Mare.

Risotto ai Funghi

Pasta e fagioli

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

etc. etc. etc.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I apologize for this mistake, but in Germany you can be sure that China-food is made by Chinese and Pizza made by Italians, kepab made by Turks etc.

Pizza has move far beyond being "Italian" food in the US. Most people here think of it as "American". But with other ethnics foods it is usually Chinese serve Chinese food or whatever ethnicity/ethnic food it is. There is a relatively new restaurant chain called Panda Express in the Western US, that is normally managed by Chinese, though not all their workers are Chinese. And then there is the Australian chain of steakhouses called The Outback, but I have never seen an Australian in any of those.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 12:16 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    It has been my experience that the vast majority of pizzerias in the US are run by Greeks. But, whoever makes it, pizza is an AMERICAN dish. The WORD "pizza" comes from the Bay of Naples area, but none of the pizzas of that area before the late 1950's bore any resemblance to what we call a pizza, namely, a tomato-and-cheese pie.
    That is incorrect. Americans talk of something substantially different when they speak of Pizza than Europeans do. American pizza is usually baked deep-pan, with a huge amount of dough - whilst European pizza is generally about as thick as a fingernail. In the UK you can get both types, marketted as either "deep pan" or "thin crust" - but at home in Austria, it being so close to Italy I have yet to see a pizzeria that does the American style pizza.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    That is incorrect. Americans talk of something substantially different when they speak of Pizza than Europeans do. American pizza is usually baked deep-pan, with a huge amount of dough - whilst European pizza is generally about as thick as a fingernail. In the UK you can get both types, marketted as either "deep pan" or "thin crust" - but at home in Austria, it being so close to Italy I have yet to see a pizzeria that does the American style pizza.
    Yes! The pizza in normal pizzerias here in Europe is thin. But I went to a Pizza Hut sometimes which makes American style pizza, and there they ask you how you like the dough, there is very thick and there is very thin pizza.

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    In the Southern German areas we're too close to get that chemical stuff anyway, I couldn't think of many proper pizzerias (rather than Turkish take-aways who often do pizzas too) who aren't normal family-owned businesses and proper restaurants.
    We have many pizzerias here who are family-owned, and in some of them you can even watch how they make the fresh pastry of the pizza. Stone-Ofen-Pizza is really delicious.
    (If you ever are in Obertauern for Skiing you must visit the Pizzeria "Hintertürl" there. They make the best pizza I know and you can watch the whole process of making)
    'Fact I've often enough eaten home-made pizza at my parents'. It's a delicious thing, unless it comes from the shelf.
    My family members (and also I) tried to make Pizza often, but honestly I think something is always missing. It tastes good, yes, but there isn´t that specific "Pizza"-flavor you get in a pizzeria. I suppose it has something to do with the pastry?
    My attempts to make own pizza end up in some kind of "Auflauf mit Pizzaauflage". *g* It tastes unique, but not really like a pizza.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast