Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Housewives `Redundant`?

I don`t think so, somehow...

From Yahoo news...
    AFP - Monday, October 13 05:16 pmSEOUL (AFP) - South Korean researchers said Monday they have developed a robot which can dance and get emotional when it's not tackling the chores.

(Advertisement)
    Mahru can move its lips, eyebrows and even pupils freely to make faces and can emit two kinds of fragrances to match its emotions. It can move upper body parts freely while walking on its legs.

The robot was developed by a research team at the state-funded Korea Institute of Science and Technology.

"Mahru, which can dance while walking on its legs, was developed as a humanoid robot capable of working in place of a human," team leader You Bum-Jae said in a statement.

"It will open the way for the commercial use of humanoid robots doing housework."

Mahru is programmed to follow various human movements through an advanced motion capture system, he said, adding it can move its hands freely to cope with any interference or obstacles.

You said his team has also developed a variant Mahru-M robot with sensors which can differentiate faces and objects and deliver things to humans on request.

However, Mahru-M uses a tricycle wheel system to move about.
    I like a great deal of technology..some of it is fun, some is valuable, but when I was a wee girl..and that was a long time ago!...they were predicting robots would be created to take the `burden` of housework from us poor downtrodden women.
    Well, there have been a few prototypes over the decades but I still don`t see the `I Robot` scenario coming to pass quite just yet.
    I actually like my housework! I like the feeling I get when the work is done, when I can sit down with a hot coffee and see my home gleaming and clean and cosy, comfortable and in reasonable order.
    I`m not a neat freak.....if you come here you`ll see the house isn`t grand or posh, it`s a small croft house that`s seen better days..
    but I like to keep on top of chores, to keep it in order and know where things are, to present a welcoming house to visitors and family alike.
    In the past, women have always taken great pride in housekeeping, a brief foray into medieval times shows just what an herculean task it could be, where the woman was not only housekeeper but also accountant and family doctor, tradeswoman and cook, mother and even witch (there are many protective charms all tied up with housekeeping in the past from stopping milk from curdling to protecting the family domain from evil spirits) and to be honest, I doubt any robot will ever take that away from us.
    I`m old enough to have seen a full circle thing happening in domesticity.
    When my mum was young, housework and housekeeping was still a valued and prized thing...her generation were taught cookery and domestic skills at both their mothers side and in schools. Then feminism hit the education system and gradually, home economics was phased out, girls were suddenly `allowed` to take the boys subjects, such as welding (and didn`t that come in handy throughout my life, she says sarcastically ) and technical drawing.
    Boys were invited to take the girls subjects...I seem to remember not many wishing to...
    Then it was dropped altogether and for a while most schools didn`t teach domestic skills at all, and women at home were encouraged to go `yuppie`, to have careers above all, to prove their worth in the competitive mans world of the economy and workplace, and thus, leave the perceived slightly shameful and worthless traditional womens skills by the wayside.
    So there came a generation of girls whose mums didn`t, unless it was a love of theirs, show their daughters the simplest of cooking skills, laundry and housekeeping maintenance, etc.
    I know women who can`t even boil an egg, and one sorry specimen who thought burgers came `from the supermarket` without ever seeing a cow...
    There`s a tv programme that aired recently in the UK, presented by a woman called Anthea Turner and called `The Perfect Housewife` in which she attempts to teach the former kind of women how to learn the basics of running a home. Love her or hate her (I think for most Brits it`s the latter) there`s no denying the impact she had on some of these women, a few were quite seriously depressed at how their homes..and so the comfort of their families..had become.
    But still, when I admitted I watched the programme and liked it, I was met with hoots of derision. And quite a few women telling me `life`s too short for housework`...
    fair enough...
    but in times past, even the warrior liked to come back to a comfortable, well appointed and welcoming home.
    Even the bank manager likes to come back to a comfortable chair, some decent home cooking and a warm, clean environment.
    And I have seen these same women, one of whom proudly displays a sign saying "Only dull women have clean homes", groan when they walk in their doors to be met with a mountain of laundry, a sink full of dishes and a floor their feet stick to...

I know that housekeeping isn`t for everyone, folks are different and do have different priorities, and that`s fine by me.
    But I still find, that admitting I like housework and domesticity still, in the twenty first century, gets me a little scorn, all of it, from other women!
    Good job I have a tough hide and don`t care what other think of me.
    I`d be interested to know what other women think, if anyone would be kind enough to respond.
    Do you like housekeeping, and if so, have you had that scorned or laughed at?
    Where did you learn to housekeep?

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good post.

I have to say I do enjoy a clean, & in order home. Sometimes I do wish I had a maid but seriously I too enjoy the feeling when its all done.

I have a 4 year old and 7 year old, and I can't stand when clothes aren't in drawers where they belong, or shoes aren't where they go. It makes getting ready for school a pain.

I use to have a compulsive thing about house cleaning, I would vacuum every little while, wash a dirty dish immediately ( now I have a dish washer thank god ) At that time I could not relax if my house was not perfect.

Later, I had Rachel and well, with 2 little ones running around I learned there is no way I can always keep it perfect. There will always be toys to step on and crumbs to sweep. There will be spills and more spills. So, I began to talk myself out of the compulsive cleaning.

As for now, it seems to be either one or the other, my house is either a little messy or really clean.

And, yes when the mood is right, I most definitely enjoy cleaning and cooking and the feeling that I made everything comfy for my family and myself.

My grandmother said a key thing: " Your house is to keep you, You are not to keep your house "
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Renewed
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Jaded
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    With four kids, I'd like some domestic help. My day begins cleaning, and my day ends cleaning. I have dishes and laundry washing as I write this. I don't scoff at having a dishwasher or washing machine, and I certainly won't mind having a robot helper one day either-- although I can do without the dancing, emotions, and smells.

Don't get me wrong....I do not mind cleaning. I just mind the amount of time it takes to keep up on top of it. I was raised to keep a clean home. My mom always says that "you can tell how clean a person is by looking at the backs of their toilets." There is just so much to do besides cleaning. The other day I took two wheelbarrow fulls of weeds out of the side garden, then it rained, and now it looks like I never touched it. We are painting, sewing curtains, laying tile, etc. Too many projects and so little time. We want our drapes finished before winter sets in. I am also working on a rug that I'd like finished before winter.

I realize that keeping my home clean is more difficult than most people face with theirs. I was telling my mom the other day that we need one of these. She said that it would be running 24 hours a day and still not keep this place clean. So, if anyone wants to ship me helper robots, then I will be more than gracious and will pay you in rep points.
    "I do not know what horrified me most at that time: the economic misery of my companions, their moral and ethical coarseness, or the low level of their intellectual development." Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    With two jobs and (at least) two courses, plus other extra-curricular activities, I'd like some domestic help as well

My house is small enough to be handled in just a few hours but sometimes my schedule is so tight that I don't even have those.

I do the general cleaning (and maintaining) on my own, and every now and then (let's say once every two months or even less often) I call in a maid to help me out with the heavier tasks.
    I even do it out of some sort of 'charity' sentiment, since she is a very poor woman with two kids and a handicapped husband, and she needs that extra income desperately...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    To be honest, I like everything to be as automated as possible. The days of washing clothes by hand or using a broom to sweep the dust are long gone. I take pleasure in decorating my place however, it's refreshing. I always like buying new things like small statuettes, lamps or paintings.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    To be honest, I like everything to be as automated as possible. The days of washing clothes by hand or using a broom to sweep the dust are long gone.
    You are darn right!

I take pleasure in decorating my place however, it's refreshing. I always like buying new things like small statuettes, lamps or paintings.
    I enjoy decorating more than cleaning. I have always been pretty good at it. I love lamps and candles myself. A tip I use for good smells: A lot of people I know waste money on those glade plug ins or something similar, but they only really smell if you are close by. So, what I do is only buy the little refill containers, cut the tops off, get a designated pot, add a little water along with a few drops of the smell good oil, and turn the stove on simmer and it will perfume your whole home with the good smell, instead of one little corner.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Thursday, November 27th, 2008 @ 02:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Family
    Head over heels in love
    Occupation
    Animal Hide Tanner
    Politics
    SNP
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I do that same thing.
    I also smear a little essential oil on lightbulbs so when they are on, the gentle heat gives off a lovely scent.
    Last edited by Oresai; Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling again...:D

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Speaking of scents, I love those candles that smell nice.

I've also been known to burn incense sticks. I'm nearly phobic of bad smell. Each time I am done cleaning up or cooking, I light one of those to refresh the atmosphere.

For automatic perfume release, I use Air Wick.

It releases the perfume automatically each few minutes and always refreshes the atmosphere. It smells much stronger than Glade, but not too strong to make you sick.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 08:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Housework, housework? I hate housework. Cleaning holds no interest for me, I only do it if someone is coming round, and then only if it's not a really close friend. I do love cooking though the less said about washing up the better
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 @ 06:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinised Bruenn altered by Med.
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The first time I read the thread title I thought to myself "Aha! That's almost as preposterous as saying that we'll all be screwing robots in 20 years!"

I don't like households that are too clean, especially if there are supposed to be children there. I like a well maintained mess. Sometimes, especially when everyone's hungover we all get in a cleaning mood and clean the kitchen, bathroom, you name it.

Bed rooms are always messy. That's our personal mess. Actually I find it quite comfotring sometimes to go from a very clean lounge or kitchen to my messy room. Seems cosier. I get frustrated when I can't find anything. Nor can I handle dirty dishes in my room either or actually anything to do with food.

Scents are excellent and I glad Rainraven got us this candle burning thingie. Makes my room smell all girly haha.

Oh... And women might go on about how they're excellent cleaners and blokes might go on about how women are made to clean... But when it comes to washing dishes - that's definately a bloke specific task!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast