View Poll Results: When does an ethnicity/ancestry become insignificant?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/4th ancestry or less

8 9.20%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/8th ancestry or less

23 26.44%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/16th ancestry or less

13 14.94%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/32nd ancestry or less

14 16.09%
  • No percentage every becomes insignificant

16 18.39%
  • Other

13 14.94%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Significance of Ethnicity?

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 09:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    effectivly I doubt there are any Europeans that do not have some mixture somewhere in the last 400 years, which would bring up the point that there is no such thing as a Germanic, so on that idea what are we doing here?
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim View Post
    effectivly I doubt there are any Europeans that do not have some mixture somewhere in the last 400 years, which would bring up the point that there is no such thing as a Germanic, so on that idea what are we doing here?
    Only if you subscribe to the "one-drop rule", which is very impractical as applied to any inter-Europid mixing. The number of Hugienots who left France for England, Germany or Holland was over 200k, not all of them Germanic Franks from the North. Under what some people interpret as mixing, practically all the English, Dutch & Germans would be considered mixed & that would be just from the Gallo-Romance Huguenots.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    My points stand. A mixed person should not seek out an unmixed person so their children will be "less mixed." The unmixed are increasingly rare and you do a crime against humanity by encouraging them not to find an unmixed partner.
    If you believe Germanics have to be exclusively derived from Germanics, then you're going to have exclude much of the population in all Germanic countries. No one is "pure" anything. Should one be at least of predominate Germanic ancestry? Yes, but it's not promoting "miscenegation", it's being realistic.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    If you believe Germanics have to be exclusively derived from Germanics, then you're going to have exclude much of the population in all Germanic countries. No one is "pure" anything. Should one be at least of predominate Germanic ancestry? Yes, but it's not promoting "miscenegation", it's being realistic.
    Now, we don't have to subscribe to either extreme point of view. To make the claim that everyone is mixed is simply guesswork.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    No. A Swede is a person whose ancestors were all Swedish whenever it was that Swedes came into existence.
    Is a Northern German from Schleswig-Holstein with a Danish partner mixing/miscegenation?

Last Online
    Sunday, February 15th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Is a Northern German from Schleswig-Holstein with a Danish partner mixing/miscegenation?
    I'll take your point one step further. Let's assume the people you mention were both Borreby. Would SouthernBoy still call that miscegenation because one is "Danish" and one is "German"?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrioten View Post
    Now, we don't have to subscribe to either extreme point of view. To make the claim that everyone is mixed is simply guesswork.
    You're taking what I said to an extreme. It's silly to think any European (ok well let's say 99.9%) is "pure" anything. But that isn't really my point anyway, apparently "mixed" does not have to mean 1/8th this, 1/4th that, 1/16th something else. Do I think a Bavarian with Celtic ancestries from centuries ago is "mixed" and therefore not German? No, not at all, but according to Southernboy's definition, those people would fall under the category of mixed, so therefore by his logic, many (I would even say most) Germanics are going to be mixed, either with other Germanic ethnicities, or other non-Germanic Europeans.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    So basicly there are no etnicities if I should follow your opinion , because every ethnicity has mixed with another etnicity to a minor extent during history.
    Prove it.

The mixed do not belong to any ethnicity in my opinion. If no members of an ethnicity exist, the ethnicity does not exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    Your views on "purity" especially as it relates to inter-Europid admixture are extreme & rather impractical.
    I am more worried about what is good and just than what is practical. Calling something "impractical" is tantamount to waiving the white flag.
    Do you realize how unlikely it would be for a Swede not to have a German, Dane or even a Finn (I know the thought is mindblowing) if they were to research their familytrees going back 3 or 4 hundred years.
    How unlikely is it? Do you have proof of the likelihood?
    And just what would you have done with these bastardized Swedes with minor Walloon ancestry, let alone the English with some Welsh or Scots? Sterilize them?
    Where does this idea come from that I would want to sterilize or kill anyone? You sound like they who would associate any view with which disagree with those of Adolf Hitler.

Noone should die because of their ancestry. If you are mixed, you should mate with someone equivalently so. If you can not find such a person, there are plenty of other ways to help humanity. You could adopt a child for instance.
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Sc...th_century.png

The yellow part is where Svearna lived, Svearna became Svenskar in name, swedes, while we were still distinguishing between Svenskar and Götar (and others). So Swedes are those whose ancestors all came from the region around Stockholm and inland, the rest is not, according to you . And we have to bear in mind the possibility of mongrelization from the south (Götar and other non Swedes) into Svealand prior, during and after the first kingdom of Svearna was established.
    If a distinction can be made, it should be made. I would promote the endogamy of every ethnic group that resides in Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim View Post
    Why do you doubt it?

If you believe Germanics have to be exclusively derived from Germanics, then you're going to have exclude much of the population in all Germanic countries.
    The only thing they are excluded from is miscegenation.

Two people that are half-German and half-Polish would have my blessing. It is about preventing further disintegration of the world's unique groups, not about preventing people from procreating.

No one is "pure" anything.
    Is this where this argument has gone?

How about you prove that?
    Should one be at least of predominate Germanic ancestry? Yes, but it's not promoting "miscenegation", it's being realistic.
    "Realism" is a refuge for the undedicated and the uncommited. I wish to learn what is "realistic" and what isn't through trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I'll take your point one step further. Let's assume the people you mention were both Borreby. Would SouthernBoy still call that miscegenation because one is "Danish" and one is "German"?
    Nordicism makes a similar argument. It is miscegenation.
    No, not at all, but according to Southernboy's definition, those people would fall under the category of mixed, so therefore by his logic, many (I would even say most) Germanics are going to be mixed, either with other Germanic ethnicities, or other non-Germanic Europeans.
    Is being mixed bad? Have we stigmatized the word that much?

I will say being mixed simply is. It confers the same opportunity to mate with someone equivalent to one's self as being pure does. I say down with "downbreeding" and down with "upbreeding." Mixing was what got us into this mess, and to begin to repair the situation we must stop mixing.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    If a distinction can be made, it should be made. I would promote the endogamy of every ethnic group that resides in Sweden.
    I am all for regionalism, but these ridicilous ideas you have on who is Swedish and who's not, it's a bit too much coming from a foreigner, who does not even live in Europe let alone Sweden nor has any understanding or knowledge of the formation of the specific nation state and ethnic group of which he speaks of with certainty. If you were to speak of your own ancestry and the ancestral homelands of your ancestors, I would not mind it as I do not pretend to hold any knowledge about them, nor am I prepared to make statements about what constitutes an Englishman or Scot or whatmore.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I am all for regionalism, but these ridicilous ideas you have on who is Swedish and who's not, it's a bit too much coming from a foreigner, who does not even live in Europe let alone Sweden nor has any understanding or knowledge of the formation of the specific nation state and ethnic group of which he speaks of with certainty.
    You are right. I am not in a position to know what comprises the Swedish ethnicity.

I said a Swede was someone of exclusively Swedish ancestry in no uncertain terms. If you want to argue what is Swedish and what isn't, we can make another thread. I will not concede that membership in any ethnicity requires descent exclusively from other members of that ethnicity from whenever it may be agreed upon that that particular ethnicity came into existence.
    If you were to speak of your own ancestry and the ancestral homelands of your ancestors, I would not mind it as I do not pretend to hold any knowledge about them, nor am I prepared to make statements about what constitutes an Englishman or Scot or whatmore.
    My statements to the constitution of the Swedish ethnicity were only in a generalized manner. Swedish ethnicity was being referenced and I thought it relevant and expedient to use Swedes as an example.

If you were offended by my calling a "spade, a spade," I will use another ethnicity in my examples in the future.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast