View Poll Results: When does an ethnicity/ancestry become insignificant?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/4th ancestry or less

8 9.20%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/8th ancestry or less

23 26.44%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/16th ancestry or less

13 14.94%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/32nd ancestry or less

14 16.09%
  • No percentage every becomes insignificant

16 18.39%
  • Other

13 14.94%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Significance of Ethnicity?

Last Online
    Sunday, February 15th, 2009 @ 07:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Schlupfilder are common in Germans and other Northerners. It's likely an adaptation to Northern climate.

Oliver Kahn

Great example. However somebody once told me that Kahn was 1/8th or maybe even 1/4th Latvian. I have no idea if it's true. A German I came across on Youtube, who posted a lot of German football videos, told me that he heard it mentioned awhile back when the Mannschaft were playing in Skonto. I know there are a lot of steps between Kahn and Ballack having similar eyes and Kahn being partially Latvian to conclude that Ballack has foreign ancestry.

Whichever way you look at it, the only thing that can really qualify an indigenous German as having "foreign" ancestry (seeing that Germany is a melting pot of subraces) would be if he deviates from the norm. Going by the Germans I have seen in my life, Stielike, G. Müller, and Ballack all deviate from the norm. I'm not alone in my thinking about Ballack. I've heard his unGerman appearance mentioned here before.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    I couldn't find better pictures. It is mostly the pigmentation in the case of the first two, but it's also something I can't put my finger on. People disagreed with me for years when I told them that Felix Magath didn't look German. Then in 2000 he tells the world that his father was a Puerto Rican US Serviceman.
    I'd never heard of this guy until your post, but I googled him and found some photos.

How would anyone ever think this guy was full German? I have a hard time believing any Germans would tell you he's full German. This is not the case of finding someone who's seemingly German in name and phenotype while exhibiting some odd coloration or nasal bridge, this guy has obvious non-Europid features.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    I'd never heard of this guy until your post, but I googled him and found some photos.

How would anyone ever think this guy was full German? I have a hard time believing any Germans would tell you he's full German. This is not the case of finding someone who's seemingly German in name and phenotype while exhibiting some odd coloration or nasal bridge, this guy has obvious non-Europid features.
    I can't surf the web forever to find clear pictures of Stielike, G. Müller, and Michael Ballack. But I defy you to find clear pictures of any of them (make sure it's before Stielike and Müller went gray) and tell me that they look full German. The type of people that tell me that those three are full German are the same type of people who told me that Magath was full German.

Check out Hansi Müller below as well. I finally found out he had an Italian mother, but for years whenever I asked Germans what accounted for his strange appearance they just shrugged their shoulders. When I'd say doesn't he look foreign to you, they'd say no or that they'd never really thought about it. Maybe it was just German sensitivity to not wanting to be labelled racist, but none of them ever seemed to doubt the ethnicity of Magath or H. Müller, just as most now won't doubt the other three.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Grimm; Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Rearranged a sentence for clarity. Corrected a typo.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Maybe it was just German sensitivity to not wanting to be labelled racist, but none of them ever seemed to doubt the ethnicity of Magath or H. Müller, just as most now won't don't the other three.
    Perhaps you've answered your own question.

Although I'll admit the "oddness" of the 3 you posted first don't really strike me as anything that odd. At least, especially not in comparison to the other two.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    In your view, is a person born in Sweden, with 18th Century Walloon ancestry, Swedish.
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Are you aware that countries like Germany, England, Iceland and more are not "pure"? So it means many of their inhabitants are not Germanic, unless all their ancestors from 1000s of years ago are Germanic? Just who is Germanic then?
    Only people whose ancestry is from those people that became Germanics (whenever it was that Germanics came into existence) are Germanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    I disagree. Disregarding distant ancestry should be encouraged, because it contributes to diluting that heritage and creating specimens closer to "purity". 1/4 becomes 1/8, 1/8 becomes 1/16, 1/16 becomes 1/32 and so forth. It is ricidulous to think that having 1/32 German ancestry makes one an ethnic German. It does not.
    Disregarding distant ancestry only creates further miscegenation. As a result noone is brought "closer to purity."

By encouraging a Germanic to mix, you tell him to "take one for the team" and throw away his heritage. What justice is there in that? What sense is there in that?
    That's your opinion. Obviously the majority of people, including myself, are going to disagree. Considering most English people are going to have Celtic (possibly recent or distant) ancestors somewhere in their bloodline, are you going to tell many of the English members here who identify with Germanic and not Celto-Germanic, that they're deluded as well?
    I will tell you now that anyone who believes they are something they are not is deluded.
    Why are you on a Germanic preservation then? How can you preserve something you're not a part of? Maybe you should just join a multiculturalism forum and preserve that.
    What a ridiculous argument.

I enjoy national parks, but I am not a national park. I suppose I must actively promote their destruction.

I promote Germanic preservation, as I promote Celtic preservation, as I promote Slavic preservation, as I promote Jewish preservation, as I promote Japanese preservation, as I promote Bantu preservation, as I promote all ethnic preservation. I may be a member of no ethnicity, but I will not support miscegenation in any way, shape, or form.
    Because it becomes insignificant at a point. Genetically, I would say around 1/32-1/64. Culturally? Even less so. Probably around 1/4th. Like I said, ethnicity is more than just blood.
    If you raised the son of Chinese parents in Sweden for a lifetime, he would never be a Swede. There can be no ethnicity without shared ancestry.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 @ 08:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Irish, Dutch, German
    Country
    Piecrust promises,easily broken
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Whew, so that 1/32nd of me that's part mexican or african (I can't recall which one) I can throw that out the window? Thank god. I've been carrying that around in my DNA for so long.

I don't think any amount is insignificant.
    Last edited by CrystalRose; Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Do you understand the seriousness?:D I was only kidding

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    75%German-25%Polish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Varied
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Perhaps you've answered your own question..
    Maybe, but I expect the Germans here, at a Germanic preservation forum, not to have such reservations.
    Although I'll admit the "oddness" of the 3 you posted first don't really strike me as anything that odd. At least, especially not in comparison to the other two.
    Better pics. Might not change your opinion, but do a better job of capturing the uniqueness I see in the subjects. Sorry that two are attachments; they were the best I could find and I don't know how to attach them differently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G Muller.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	100391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stielike.bmp 
Views:	29 
Size:	321.9 KB 
ID:	100392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ballack.bmp 
Views:	28 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	100393  

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I supposedly have a walloon ancestor on my paternal grandmother's father's side of the family, most probably in his paternal line. I have gone back some 7generations further back from him in his paternal ancestry, without finding any trace of a walloon ancestor, yet he himself had a decidedly dark look to him and a distinct keltic nordic phenotype (that my grandmother inherited) which makes him look foreign, perhaps walloon. Some admixture caused that phenotype but in which generational step I cannot tell, but it proves that ancestry can have an impact on a person even if it's from way back. So I couldn't say at which point a certain ancestry becomes insignificant, as that would depend on what you mean by insignificant as well. Insignificant enough to ignore? To shun? To pretend isn't there? To take credit for? To feel proud about? To identify with?

I personally want to know as much as possible about my own ancestry, know who my ancestors were, not just a few generations ago but 10 and upwards, and what sort of lives they lived.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I will tell you now that anyone who believes they are something they are not is deluded. What a ridiculous argument.
    Well, you sure to seem to enjoy hanging out with a bunch of deluded people then.

If you raised the son of Chinese parents in Sweden for a lifetime, he would never be a Swede. There can be no ethnicity without shared ancestry.
    No where did I ever say ancestry/blood line isn't important. Your example isn't even comparable.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009 @ 04:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Well, you sure to seem to enjoy hanging out with a bunch of deluded people then.
    You know I love Skadi.
    No where did I ever say ancestry/blood line isn't important. Your example isn't even comparable.
    Ethnicity is only "more than just blood" as a house is more than just a foundation. A house can not exist without a foundation and an ethnicity can not exist without blood.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast