View Poll Results: When does an ethnicity/ancestry become insignificant?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/4th ancestry or less

8 9.20%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/8th ancestry or less

23 26.44%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/16th ancestry or less

13 14.94%
  • It becomes insignificant at 1/32nd ancestry or less

14 16.09%
  • No percentage every becomes insignificant

16 18.39%
  • Other

13 14.94%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Significance of Ethnicity?

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    Do you believe any percentage of an ethnicity becomes "insignificant" at a certain point, compared to the rest of the person's overall ancestry? Or should people "honor" all aspects of their ancestry?
    I think it becomes insignificant at a specific point but I don´t think that 1/8 is already at the border of insignificance. I´d say the border, both genetically and culturally, is at 1/32. This counts for Non-Germanic but European ancestry only, of course.

Anyway, if someone is 1/8 slavic or italian and 7/8 Germanic I wouldn´t see the person as foreign or "Non-Germanic". Sure, the small amount of foreign blood should be considered but it has no impact on my general judging of the person. The foreign blood is not insignifcant but too low for me to seriously care.

1/32 is the border of where I´d say "fully 100% Germanic".

I can trace my family-line many centuries back, and the only "Non German"-blood in my line is from a Swedish male (possibly a soldier) who begot a child with one of my great-great-great.....-mothers during Thirty Years' War.

So for those who take it very accurately I´m 1/256(?) Swedish or something like that. *g*

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    Many reports and studies confirm it. Here is one from this forum.
    http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=100545

Finland is almost off the chart and Russia is further East.
    There are Italians, Finns and Russians who don't look Europid, but you can't make a blanket statement about the whole populations.

Francesca Neri, Italian

Marco Hietala and Tarja Turunen, Finns

Elena Dementieva and Svetland Tsys, Russians

I don’t consider Russians fully Europid. I don't think anyone on this board does consider that.
    LOL don't be too sure, why don't you have a chat with Oswiu?

Some may fit the bill by look. There is too much non-Caucasoid mixture there. Many probably most look Osteuropid with Uralid and Mongoloid. Sometimes I don't think it's detectable by appearance even more so by untrained eyes.
    Yes towards the East Russia is Asiatic and there are many Russians who look Mongoloid. However that's not true for all. The Germans didn't mix with these Eastern Russian tribes with slanty eyes because it would be obvious in their phenotypes. Svetlana Tsys was actually elected Miss Germany and she doesn't look foreign to Germany racially speaking. Osteuropid is an Europid and even German racial type. I'm against mixing with Slavs and other non-Germanics too, mind you plus I don't think we should "mate with" people with non-Europid phenotypes either no matter their nationality. I explained about it in that assimilation thread.

With this idea it's only time until the whole racial base is altered or different.
    See above, you've made plenty of blanket statements. But anyway, what is your proposition? What is your alternative? Where do you draw the line? Which people can consider themselves "unmixed" enough?

As I said it’s a loose word. I do not have a concrete definition. Members here dispute about its meaning all the time. I could give a broad definition but I would rather not.
    It's not a lose word, but if you'd rather not give a definition, then why are you arguing in the first place? To argue you need to have an argument, which you're lacking now.

What has happened has already happened. People can preserve by not performing miscegenation and not breeding with outsiders.
    Finally, we agree! But a German with 1/8 Italian or Russian or Polish ancestry is not an "outsider". To him, another German is closer to him than a fullblooded Italian, Russian or Pole.

Why should my details matter? I do not know anything except German, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else.
    I was asking if you know any examples of 100 % unmixed people. You and SouthernBoy are preaching for a purity that only exists in your minds. And in fairy tales.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    I think it becomes insignificant at a specific point but I don´t think that 1/8 is already at the border of insignificance. I´d say the border, both genetically and culturally, is at 1/32. This counts for Non-Germanic but European ancestry only, of course.
    Well, I already stated I don't consider my Italian ancestry at a low enough percentage that I would deem it "insignificant", which is why I have brought it up whenever someone asks my entire ancestry. And like I said, my great grandmother was from South Tyrol, and even had Germanic names in her family tree, but no one would be silly enough to call her Germanic or part Austrian because she had some Germanic blood because of her geographic location.

Considering we're on a Germanic forum and the majority of my ancestry is Germanic, I see no reason to equate a small part of my heritage to what is at least 90% of it. Sorry to break it to those who don't agree with me, but I will be preserving my Germanic heritage, and not my Italian.

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 @ 01:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post
    If you don't know what someone looks like, then why comment on their appearance? If you had actually made a genuine effort to become integrated into this community, you would know.
    It's a possibility I said. I never said she looked it. I see it all the time in classification threads. 1/8 is visible. If it's not, then it doesn't disappear out of thin air.

Establishing a hierarchy amongst an individual ethnic group based on phenotype is ridiculous.
    Subraces are different in mentality, physicality abilities, and other traits. There is no denying that. A hierarchy as you said such as ranking is something different.

By such logic, a Nordid Sicilian, the result of the emergence of Norman genes in a subject, has more in common with a Nordid German than with a Dinarid or Alpinid Italian, which is completely untrue.
    There is no such thing as a Nordid Sicilian. Some people might look like something else, but they're not.

Germanic isn't a loose term, but it's been blurred and distorted by people working with a false agenda.
    I think it's loose from the beginning but has become more blurred and distorted as you said. Everybody probably has their own idea of it.

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 09:05 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What is 1/32 anyway? Your great great great grandparent?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's a possibility I said. I never said she looked it. I see it all the time in classification threads. 1/8 is visible. If it's not, then it doesn't disappear out of thin air.
    Visible in what regard? Dinarid is the most common phenotype found in Italy, usually in conjunction with Med or Atlanto-Med. It's also found regularly in parts of Germany and Austria. Italy is also one of the most racially diverse countries in Europe, so what exactly are you referring to?

There is no such thing as a Nordid Sicilian. Some people might look like something else, but they're not.
    Nordid is a phenotype. It's based solely on what you look like. There are such things are Nordic Sicilians, just like there are Mediterranean Swedes. If you can't grasp this concept then I give up

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    1/8 certainly has the potential to be visible, and sometimes it is, sometime it isn't. One's phenotype is purely the luck of the draw, and classification only works on a case-by-case basis. Even in a specific family, it's not uncommon to have a Nordid child, while a later sibling is an Alpinid, etc.

Subraces are different in mentality, physicality abilities, and other traits. There is no denying that. A hierarchy as you said such as ranking is something different.
    I would disagree with that; there doesn't seem to be a great deal of distinction between Keltic-Nordids, Bruenns, and Alpinids who hail from both the same nation and ethnic groups. That merely has to do with physical appearance. Differences in mentality and physical abilities are more on an ethnic and meta-ethnic level (Latins are characterized as being over-emotional, Celts for temper and a love of freedom, etc.).

The system of racial classification on Skadi does include Nordid Sicilians. Nordids can be found in any ethnic group, as can Alpinids, Dinarids, Atlantids, etc. We're not speaking in terms of the regional or ethnic sense of what constitutes a Nordic, but rather a category of phenotype.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyalist View Post

The system of racial classification on Skadi does include Nordid Sicilians. Nordids can be found in any ethnic group, as can Alpinids, Dinarids, Atlantids, etc. We're not speaking in terms of the regional or ethnic sense of what constitutes a Nordic, but rather a category of phenotype.
    I've never seen a Nordid Nigerian.

As far as ethnicity goes, certain phenotypes are associated with certain ethnicities. Some people are the exception to the rule. I don't think I've ever seen any Nordid Sicilians but not all of them look like the actors on The Sopranos either.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 4th, 2018 @ 02:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    I've never seen a Nordid Nigerian.
    Speaking from a strictly Eurocentric point of view, of course. That also shouldn't mean that I agree with a system that gives Dolph Lundgren the potential to hail from some country that's dominated by Moors and Conversos.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    I know, but I had to say it. But Nordids are very rare among some Europid groups. Would you find someone like Dolph Lundgren among the Greeks.

Michael Vartan is an exception to the rule. 1/2 Armenian & 1/2 Ashkenazim. I'd swear his parents left the hospital with the wrong baby.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast