View Poll Results: What do you wear for ritual attire?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Period Germanic Clothing (Viking Age, Medieval, Migration Period, etc.)

6 21.43%
  • Outdoor Clothing (Hiking, Camping, etc.)

8 28.57%
  • Formal Wear (i.e. your "Sunday Best")

4 14.29%
  • Casual Clothes (Band T-Shirt and All)

14 50.00%
  • A Robe (or Some Other 'Magical' Garb)

3 10.71%
  • Other (Please Explain)

6 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ritual Attire

Last Online
    Friday, February 19th, 2010 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English with small Irish, Welsh and Visigothic Spanish ancestry
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    National Liberalism
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As with any formal occasion i dress up in a suit as a sign of respect for the rite itself, as it says in the Havamal:

'Washed and well-fed
    Should a man ride to the thing,
    Though he be not so well dressed;
    Of his shoes and breeches
    Let no man be ashamed,
    Nor of his horse, though he has not a good one.'

The point is to try your best in keeping a smart, presentable appearence, and this helps you recognise for yourself and others that the ritual you are taking part in is important enough for you to put effort into making it special. Whether this effort can be effectively displayed in wearing clothes of the Dark Ages...i'm not sure, maybe. Our ancestors didnt dress up like their ancestors did a millienium earlier when practicing rites, thus why should we reject our modern clothing when doing the same?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KWulf View Post
    As with any formal occasion i dress up in a suit as a sign of respect for the rite itself, as it says in the Havamal:
    Actually I am taking these lines to mean quite the opposite: "...though he be not so well dressed; of his shoes and breeches let no man be ashamed", yet "ashed and well-fed should a man ride to the Thing".

I.e. to me this essentially means: As long as you keep a reasonably tidy appearance (i.e. washed and well-fed), it doesn't matter whether you wear preposterous golden bling-bling or stuff you've picked up at H&M. I.e. you don't have to wear your Sunday's Best or Suit.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Friday, February 19th, 2010 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English with small Irish, Welsh and Visigothic Spanish ancestry
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    National Liberalism
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ţveginn ok mettr
    ríđi mađr ţingi at
    ţótt hann sét vćddr til vel
    skúa ok bróka
    skammisk engi mađr
    né hests in heldr
    ţótt hann hafit góđan

Perhaps i should've used another translation, the 'though he be not clothed so well' part i interpret to mean that if someone is poor and cannot afford good clothes, they can still make themselves presentable with what little they have. Thus those would be participating in the thing would still have to wear their best clothes, even if they cannot afford the richer garments that today would be associated with a suit or millitary uniform. Nowadays i think unless you're below the poverty line you can find something smarter to wear than a t-shirt, but that's just my opinion for myself and so i dont have a problem what what anyone else wears, its up to the individual to present themselves as they see fit.

I think a lot of folks in the Heathen community see wearing a suit for special religious occasions as a throwback to their former days of going to church dressed up as such. I never did this and so it those not hold such connatations but i think the best way to reject Christianity in your spiritual experience is to simply ignore it and its former influence on your live.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KWulf View Post
    I think a lot of folks in the Heathen community see wearing a suit for special religious occasions as a throwback to their former days of going to church dressed up as such.
    Our ancestors a few centuries ago didn't dress up for church - they dressed casually as they generally would on a non-working day.

What people tend to forget is that ordinary folk customes were usually worn on the field as a "working garment" whilst these more special clothes were worn simply because it wouldn't have been considered right to be dressed in working-clothes on a work-free day that Sunday (day of church and subsequent meeting in a tavern to discuss matters).

As such it's obvious of course that you're not going to wear your blue collar and workman's trousers, but I don't see the point of dressing differently for Blót than one would dress in their free time (i.e. evenings/weekends spent out of the house). Not even our Christian ancestors did that for "special, religious occasion": they did that because it was their "public garment" rather than their "work garment".

Since I don't consider monthly Blót as a particularly "special occasion" for which it is required to dress up, I don't feel like I should dress like I was going to the Opera. To me, Blót is simply a more extensive, more communal and more formalised version of everyday ritual, suited to a particular celebration around the year. We must ditch that Christian conception that Blót was some kind of mass, it's simply perhaps a more dedicated observation which should complement daily ritual but shouldn't be the only ritual that you practice all month.

As such, perhaps wear something marginally better than what you wear if you're just at home for watching TV, but you don't have to go all the way. It's obvious that you're not going to appear in tracksuit bottoms and dirty T-shirts at Blót, but if it's something you'd wear when dining with your family, then it's just as fine. If it's fine to wear at a family gathering, it's fine to wear at a Blót IMO, simply as.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 @ 02:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Occupation
    Retired
    Politics
    English Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I do not believe that it makes much difference what you wear at a Blot just so long as the participants are there for the right reason! But I think I would here like to differentiate between the Gothi and the rest of the gathering.

Where as the participants need not wear anything other than their own choice of everyday clothes, it is undeniable that if the Gothi is dressed in archaic clothing it can make a difference. Not necessarily to the overall functioning and credibility of the ritual in itself, it does not make the proceedings any more sacred, but perhaps it helps to focus the participant’s view of things.

The archaic garments of the Gothi can and usually does help to forge a link with the past, and where we do not want to see the Gothi as a barrier between ourselves and our Gods, it nevertheless creates a conduit for the gatherings devotions, particularly when addressing long gone ancestors.

This is just a personal view and I would not wish to see the need for a Gothi to be ritually dressed for every occasion. But I do believe there is a place for ritual clothing if only for the Gothi Him/Herself.

hodekin
    Deep in the forest, shaded by the leaves of the Greenwood Tree.

Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hodekin View Post
    Where as the participants need not wear anything other than their own choice of everyday clothes, it is undeniable that if the Gothi is dressed in archaic clothing it can make a difference.
    Well, perhaps you have a point, though I'd have to say that perhaps I agree with your conclusion, but not with the argument you put forward.

I wouldn't say the Gothi's mode of clothing needs to be archaising, but I do somewhat agree about the focus part; though only in so as much as the Gothi should be dressed in a way that differentiates him from the other participant, this need not be dressed in a fully different manner, but just a bit.

Traditionally speaking, obviously, the Gothi would hold not only religious, but also administrative functions, he could be seen as a sort of "chieftain". As such, it befits him that he should wear somewhat different attire: You don't see the mayor or spokesperson dressed the same way as his citizens, it helps thus to stress his position in regard to his station in the community and within the ritual he is holding.

So yes, the Gothi should perhaps be dressed slightly differentiated, but not for archaising reasons but instead for focus and for establishing that even amongst equals, there needs to be a spokesperson to orchestrate the whole thing (pun intended).

aka Johan the Blind Goodman John's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 03:52 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Scotland
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Hospital Administration
    Politics
    Generally Conservative
    Religion
    Cathar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Wash your face and hands, run a comb or brush through your hair (and/or beard, if you have one), and try to wear clean clothes. Washing one's face and hands (although one draws obvious parallels to Christianity or Islam) can help put one in a 'ritual mood'. Besides, if you're passing a mead horn around you don't want Jimmy's grubby hands getting it all greasy from the Express Oil Change where he works.

As for clothing itself, I'm of two minds. One being that as the gods are with us all day every day there should be no need for 'dressing up' to talk with them. The other is that maybe it's a good thing to go 'above and beyond' every day dress to honor them in our ritual interactions. It doesn't have to be a full-on Ragnar Lothbrok outfit- duh- but setting aside a particular shirt just for ritual purposes might be a nice touch.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123