Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Else Make an Attempt to Be "Natural"?

Last Online
    Thursday, January 7th, 2010 @ 08:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    english, scottish, welsh, irish, german, swiss, swedish, french
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Fiber artist
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I belong to the Weston A. Price Foundation. It's a non profit, where the main message is to eat, and enjoy the natural food products that humans have evolved with over the last several thousand years. I drink whole, raw milk, and I soak my oatmeal and beans before I cook them to neutralize the anti-nutrients that are in whole grains and legumes. I raise Highland Cattle, and last month slaughtered a yearling bull calf for our personal use. I avoid soy, fluoride, maragrine,and other processed foods as much as possible. I also make bone broth every couple of weeks, and use it to make soups, and add it to other recipes like pot roast, and rice dishes. I feel much healthier. I used to be plagued with chronic nausea when I ate processed food every day, but since I've been eating better, I have noticed drastic improvement. If anyone is interested in the website, here is the link:

http://westonaprice.org/

Hope you find it useful.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    To be natural, one has to stop and take in ones environment. There are examples all around us as to how living in the natural text of things can better our lives, but often we ignore them. The social decay of our people is the outcome of this, and instead of wholeness, we are assaulted with white noise and "entertainment", which is the true illusion.

We evacuated ourselves from the busy, life of the city to escape that illusion so we could raise a family in natural surroundings. Some of the things in the last 10 years I have done to support a more natural way of life are

Learning to hunt for meat and edible plants. From the moment I release my bow, to the preparation of the meat, the value you get out in nutrition is comparable to what you put into obtaining it.

Growing our own fruits and veges. Again the above principle is evident in the fact that vegetables always taste better from your garden. Coincidence?

We strive to furnish our home with only natural materials, wood, stone, iron, etc. These raw materials have an effect on the environment and mood of our dwelling. Wood and stone are the most profound to us.

We make it a point to never deny our sons the freedom of exploring the outside. They find endless entertainment in the hilly woods surrounding our home. Grounding children from the outdoors is to deny them discovery.

We drink our well water. Though some frown upon drinking from our spring fed well, it has never left us sick, and is far superior in taste to bottled or tap water. How can man improve upon Nature?

These are a few things that we have done, it is also good to support your local economy, and buy natural soaps, and, if you must smoke, use a pipe and pipe tobacco rather than cigarettes. By doing these things we have found we live with less stress and the little things in life are more meaningful to us. No TV for 9 years=2 bright, wild eyed boys.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2011 @ 06:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English/(Scots)Irish/German
    Subrace
    Cro-Magnid
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Family
    Youth
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No, I don't make much of an effort, it is hard to do so living in a large city like mine. My family mostly eats store-bought goods, although we did have a few veges we ate that we grew ourselves. When I get older I'd like to move to a rural area and live a more natural lifestyle. Probably somewhere in the Northeast, my family had lived there since 1600 until the past 2 generations.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 24th, 2009 @ 07:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norway (P) + Scotland (PM) + Austria (MP + MM) + Swabia (MP) + Prussia (MM)
    Subrace
    Nordid-Atlantid and Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    AGNOS/Athiest
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VinlandViking View Post
    For about two years, I've attempted to go back to ancient pagan roots and be "natural". I don't use sunscreen, I don't take any chemical medication (I only take medication that can be found in nature), I only use home-made natural soaps, I shave with knives or razor blades, and I try to eat foods that don't have any chemicals in them. The things that I do that don't fit into the category of "natural" are using a computer, listening to music, watching TV, brushing my teeth with toothpaste, going to school, etc., all the normal stuff that everyone more or less has to do or can not control at some point.

Does anyone else have a somewhat similar lifestyle?

I wish I could write a response but each time I do it turns into a rant about the evils of capitalism.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindefense View Post
    if you must smoke, use a pipe and pipe tobacco rather than cigarettes.
    Isn't pipe tobacco stronger and more damaging to the lungs than cigarettes? I mean, I've never tried either of them - I'm just curious.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrodnand View Post
    Isn't pipe tobacco stronger and more damaging to the lungs than cigarettes? I mean, I've never tried either of them - I'm just curious.
    I think that is a general misconception, unless you smoke it in excess. Tobacco, though in general is not overtly addictive. Cigarettes are purposely treated with additives that are what I would consider super addictive. Thus the possibility of moderation is extremely difficult for most cigarette smokers. This keeps profits high in the industry at the expense of health. I know many people who smoke these things, and they have a hard time quitting, and it is because of the chemical addiction not because they like them.

I only smoke bulk tobacco, and it is mainly free of additives. I have smoked a pipe for over 10 years. I do so in moderation. If I go through spells where I smoke excessively (which is seldom) it is because I enjoy the blend that I am smoking and not because some company introduced super addictive additives to it. Moderation then is the key. In its natural form, tobacco can be enjoyed in moderation. Cigarettes on the other hand are designed and marketed to be used in excess, to hook you on the non natural additives. So if you have to smoke I think it is better to use pipe tobacco.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I noticed an old habit of the peasants from years ago: clearing the hair after wash, with some hot water mixed with a spoonful of vinegar. The smell doesn't remain noticeable in the hair after the wash and it helps to fight against dandruff. For a natural conditioner, egg yolk does the trick.

Last Online
    Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 @ 12:09 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married parent
    Occupation
    office admin
    Politics
    Earth base
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Okay.... when I first read this title... I thought I tried not to shave my legs for the winter.... But I see that is not the "natural" you were talking about.

I had migraines really bad a quite a few years ago and I realized that what was causing my migraines was all the non-natural or chemicals in the foods I was eating. So... I have tried to become natural as I can get.

I use unbleached whole wheat flour. I have gotten down to very few store bought processed food. I try to make everything myself. I buy organic when I can and eat mostly fruits and vegetables. I am unable to eat nitrates and it is very hard around here to find sausages or cured meats that don't have nitrates in them or they cost alot.

For all you women, one of the breast cancer causing chemicals are in the anti perspirants in your deodrants. It was a change that took a little bit for me to get use to.

warm wishes...

Last Online
    Sunday, August 29th, 2010 @ 03:37 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Ancestry
    jhmgj
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Greenland Greenland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A worthy thread that I'm glad I've found.

I make natural to be a very important part of my life. Natural to me means the way it should be and that's partly why I call myself heathen... I'm for nature and being connected to it as much as possible. Let's see, this is what I do to be natural:

• I never take medication unless its vital to my survival, not even a headache pill. It kind of grosses me out. The only pills I take are vitamins and that's only when I remember too.

I always look at the ingredients in my food and try to avoid chemical elements as much as possible though it is hard to avoid preservatives in this day and age. I stick to the principle that I read in a health column once: if it didn't exist 200 years ago don't eat it.

My clothing is all 100% cotton or wool or leather or linen. I tend to avoid polyester/nylons in my clothing. The only exceptions are my band shirts (which have that plastic print on) and my gym shorts (easier to keep clean)

Regarding vegetables... my place I live is an apartment complex so I have no garden. I do shop for my fruit and vegetables at a "farmer's market" type place here. Its a branch chain in my country but the products come straight from the farm to the various outlets and don't come with packaging or such thing on, you have to pick your produce out yourself.

Bread... I buy the 100% rye stuff. Don't know if that counts.

Soaps/shampoo, etc... I'm a student so its expensive to buy the natural stuff, and I do use under-arm roll-on. Perhaps this is the part where I am most unnatural.

Thanks though to all you people in this thread, I've gotten some good insight.
    Last edited by xamarth; Sunday, June 13th, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more to add

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Natural? Why yes, I have a great number of excentric ideas and lifestyle choices that could be classified as "natural", but which I also consider to be "minimalistic".

For example, prior to moving in with my girlfriend, I barely owned any furniture. A desk, a lamp and a futon. My dormitory room was equipped with an in-built book shelf, which housed all my books and DVD's.
    It is a conscious effort on my part to only own things that I actually need and to throw out things that are no longer used. This also makes cleaning and tidying up a lot easier. It has gotten to the point where rooms with too much stuff in them saddens me and confuses me.

I never have any heating on. Instead I put on a pair of wollen socks and spend my time in the communal rooms.
    I minimise my showers and only use shower gel. Hair wash causes my hair to dry out and dandruff to break out. In fact, all my toilet articles could fit on one shelf. I rarely cut or shave any hairs. I proudly carry a full beard which I trim a little when my girlfriend protests too much

When shopping for groceries, I adamantly refuse to buy or eat anything that contains "aroma" (a industry code word for "perfume", highly allergenic) or additives that are added for the sake of taste. These merely hide the poor quality of the products. I would prefer fasting to eating such "foods". Other then that, I am forced to compromise on certain other additives.
    I never eat processed food or five minutes meals, but cook my own food from scratch. My diet is blend and repetitive, but nutrious and healthy.
    I will seek out and buy organically grown alternatives even if these cost more. As I see it, it is a matter of prioritizing your mony. Is binge drinking every weekend and subsisting on poor quality food really worth it?

As for clothing, I used to be able to "inherit" some of my brothers clothing, because he replaced his wardrobe every few months to keep pace with the fashion. Now I buy my own clothes, but only every few months or when I need something. For example, you need a pair of boots in the winter. Wearing your summer sneakers is a sign of stupidity, not frugality. I only throw out clothes that cannot be repaired, never to the whims of fashion.
    I never take any medicin, but that is because I have no condition requiring it. If you suffer from a condition, if possible strive to eliminate the causes behind it, but untill that glorious day, take the medicine your doctor suggests. I refuse to take pain killers, anti-nausea pills, sleeping pills and such, but take vitamine pills and apply anti-dandruf and anti-eczema gels.

When exercising, I go for long walks instead of running, and train with free weigths, a kettlebell and a pullup bar. People are frequently amazed that I have trained for so many years and are so fit, but I do not know how to use any machines. I have never set foot in a gym.
    I play a game with my self, trying to see how many days I can go without spending money on anything. I apply the "30-days test" on every major purchase(Wait 30 days between wanting something and buying it) and frequently decide that I would rather have that extra money in my savings account and that I do not really need such and such an item.

Many characterise my lifestyle as odd (and they probably call it worse things behind my back), but I am happy with it. I am never short on cash, because I only spent it when needed.
    I am healthy and fit, doing all the things I want to do in my life. And every once in a while, I must admit that I catch myself thinking that the world would be a better place if more people did what I do.

I am far from perfect in all regards. For starters, I do occasionally eat junk food and still drink more then I like to face up to the day after, but life, in my opinion, is a quest of self-improvement, which is a very natural thing to me.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast