Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Jotun, carving and preparing runes is one thing that should be done with great care. It is not to be taken lightly. If blood is to be used, it should be by the one who intends on using them. I have seen first hand the events that will follow if they are not given the proper respect. And it is always woe. Your post confirms this. Respect the runes always. I would seriously reconsider ever making runes for another. Myself, I would only do the carving for some one, they must do everything else. They possess a life altering power, so treat them accordingly. Fruit or nut trees are my personal choice. Hardwoods will do. The ideal of using yew scares me. I used a limb from an apple tree and carved the glyphs with a knife. It did not take much blood to bring them to life, and they have never steered me wrong. I got out of the habit of playing with them along time ago and now only use them when I have reason. Fill them with your own life force, that is the only fee they demand.

The tree should be compensated by burying a valuable medallion and a brewed beverage at the base to feed the roots. The medallion should be very valuable to you, not just a coin. Do these things and the runes will guide you through your life. They won't always give the answers you want, but they will reveal what is in your best interest.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 18th, 2012 @ 04:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    German, Austrian &Swiss
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Grand + Great Grandparent
    Occupation
    Retired Auto worker-QC
    Politics
    Middle of the Road Conservative
    Religion
    Asatru/ Northern Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I use a Carving glove......

Whenever I am carving anything, I use a kevlar carving glove, especially if I am risting Runes for someone else.They have the option of Blooding the rune staves themselves.
    The glove saves nicks & cuts, and blood on my pieces. You can put your creativity into it without giving it your Blood.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 31st, 2009 @ 11:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway 50%, Luxembourg 25%, Basque25%
    Country
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Married
    Occupation
    Woodcarver
    Politics
    Independant
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Vindefense,
    Thankyou for your reply to my post. Your words speak of obvious experience and care. The notion of letting another blood runes that I have carved is not an idea that I have considered.

As for the situation at hand, if I had it to do over again I would not change one iota. I accept that there are always risks in any action or inaction and this is starkly true in rune magic. In this instance, as with all others, I take full responsability for every stave I cut. And I do cut them often. Rarely does a day pass that I don't carve runes. They are on my house, my shoes, all my tools, my food and even cut into my fingernails. They're cut into stones on my land and adorn virtually every surface of every thing I care about. I can understand how you might guess otherwise, but I know that I more than respect them, I adore them.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 12:02 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    State
    New York New York
    Devoted father & husband
    Politics
    E Pluribus Unum
    Religion
    Ascension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotun View Post
    As for the situation at hand, if I had it to do over again I would not change one iota. I accept that there are always risks in any action or inaction and this is starkly true in rune magic. In this instance, as with all others, I take full responsability for every stave I cut.
    That is the right attitude. I hope I did not imply that you were being disrespectful. My post pertains to runes used as divination. And was directed to anyone who read it. The power of blood is one of the greatest mysterys. As a life altering force, I would not think of using my own blood on runes I did not intend to use. If you are reconsidering doing so, then my post was not in vain.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 31st, 2009 @ 11:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway 50%, Luxembourg 25%, Basque25%
    Country
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Married
    Occupation
    Woodcarver
    Politics
    Independant
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Vindefense,
    I think your hesitance to use blood on runes carved for another is wise and it is a thought I will remember. I wonder if your impression of my first post would have been different had I mentioned that the woman I cut the runes for is my wife.

I figure that she already has my heart so I wouldn't deny her my blood.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forkbeard View Post
    You are supposed to use your own blood painted with yew cut from a churchyard at midnight.
    Now really, I'm curious too why you mentioned to use a yew from a churchyard?
    :Überschöpfung:

Last Online
    Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 @ 08:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon/German/Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, Germany.
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Writer.
    Politics
    Apolitical
    Religion
    Thusatru/Dankwathiudsktruwon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I usually use just an ordinary exacto-knife, but mine has been consecrated along with all my other equipment, I also always use my own blood to stain my runes, the magick of the blood is probably one of the most important aspects of Seidr, as it connects you to that specific rune and/or Bind-rune.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 4th, 2012 @ 11:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    German/Scottish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Germany/Scotland/Ireland
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Self-employed
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Germanic Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alaf sal Fena!
    Interesting thread here but I feel some of things things posted need to be addressed. Let me preface my comments and advice with this. I've been working with the Elder Futhark for 18 years and studying and working with the Armanen runes for 15 years. Take my advice with a grain of salt if you wish. The following techniques have been used by myself and others I've taught and have worked well for us. If you disagree with what I offer then so be it! Good on you my friend! Discover your own methods and good luck to you! OK, moving on...
    Forkbeard's comments about how the runes need to be "cut from yew found in a church yard at midnight" is nonsense. (Smiling) The runes are Heathen in origin and have nothing to do with "church yards" nor do they need to be cut "at midnight." Wotan gave the gift of the runes to man long before there were any "church yards." Cut the branch of a living fruit or nut bearing tree when you deem it right. I prefer to cut my branches in the spring when there's new life energy in the tree. Yew wood is an excellent wood to work with and to carve runes from, but it's poisonous therefore dangerous. If you do decide to work with yew, wear a face mask, filter, and gloves. You don't want to breathe in any yew dust. It could be fatal. Also the wood is very hard and hard to carve. I also use, and actually prefer, deer or elk antler. The antler is a "living" material and also makes beautiful runes. White tail deer is best because the antler is very dense and less "foamy" than other deer antler. I also have a set that I made using the knuckle bones from a timber wolf. Those are very powerful.

Now, what do you offer the tree in return? It doesn't have to be a "valued pendant." It can be a coin or anything of value really. It's GEBO/GIBOR. It's gift for a gift. It's the act of exchange that's important. You should give what you deem is equal in value. Pouring some mead at the base of the tree is a nice gesture, would be well received, but not absolutely necessary. Do what feels right and inspires you.

What tool is best used for the actual carving? In the past I've used wood carving knives, chisels, and various other blades. Now I use a Dremmel tool. "But that's not traditional!" some will say. Nonsense. Our ancient ancestors adopted new technology wherever and whenever they found it. Do you really think Arminius wouldn't have used cannons or machine guns against the Romans if he had had access to them? Don't kid yourself. The Vikings would have gladly given up rowing and used engines on their long ships if they could have!

I don't use wood burning tools because in the Havamal it doesn't say "Knowest how to burn them?" It says knowest how to CARVE them. Carving them creates the grooves to stain them properly. Which brings me to the use of blood. NEVER, and I repeat NEVER, use your own blood if you're making runes for another. Only use blood if it's going to be used to consecrate your own runes or other personal items. Your blood carries your life force and isn't something to use in a careless manner. The repercussions could come back to harm you and any other parties concerned. If you're making a set of runes for another, leave the runes "empty" and let the person receiving them stain them with either red coloring of some sort or their own blood. Once the runes have been consecrated with your own blood no one should ever touch them except you.

After you've carved and stained your runes, get a suitable bag to put them in and a white cloth. Consecrate some water and light a candle. Pick up each rune and give it it's proper name. For instance, you would say, "You are FEHU!" then sprinkle some of the consecrated water on it, pass it once through the flame, and then blow on it 3 times. By blowing on it you give the rune OND or "breath of life." Then place it in the bag. Do this with each rune. Leave the runes in their bag for 9 days. At the end of 9 days reach in the bag and bring each rune out into the sunlight. This act gives "birth" to the runes. Now they're ready to be used. Keep your rune bag close to you whenever you can. When you watch TV or read, keep them in your lap or on your belt. When you sleep put them under your pillow or just in the bed with you. Wherever it's most comfortable. What you're doing is "charging" the runes with your own life force. The older your runes get, the better your rune workings and readings will be. Again, no one should ever touch your personal set of runes. If you're going to do readings for others use another rune set.

As I said above, none of my advice is set in stone or absolute. It's what's worked best for me and those I've taught. My advice comes from years of working with other rune experts and using the various techniques and methods I've developed myself. The runes are the AlFather's sacred gift to us. Use them for enlightenment, for spiritual matters and concerns, and personal growth. Practice runic Galder and "sing" the runes. Look for them in nature and in other more mundane places and you'll be amazed to find that they're all around us. I hope my suggestions prove to be useful to any of you.
    Sal und Sig!
    Haunebu III

Last Online
    Monday, July 16th, 2012 @ 02:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Amarybaus View Post
    I usually use just an ordinary exacto-knife, but mine has been consecrated along with all my other equipment, I also always use my own blood to stain my runes, the magick of the blood is probably one of the most important aspects of Seidr, as it connects you to that specific rune and/or Bind-rune.
    Is there some connection between Seidr and Runes..??

Later,
    -Lyfing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12