Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Would Gain You More Honour?

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 09:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It occured to me that maybe the desire to be a "free man" and not support the great is what is wrong with society today, everybody is too interested in their own self progression and not enough in the progression of their society as a whole.

Personaly I believe that there is more honour in sacrificing your chance at glory to support the chance of a friend, than there is in trying to become great yourself. Anybody can be selfish and want the glory themselves, but it takes a truely great person to step out of the limelight and help someone else reach for the top.
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 08:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is there no honor in self-sufficiency?

Must I gain my honor by suckling at the tit of other, greater, men?

Only can you sacrifice yourself to those who are great after you have already become great yourself.
    Last edited by Ulf; Monday, September 15th, 2008 at 04:58 AM. Reason: added a thought

Last Online
    Saturday, February 18th, 2017 @ 11:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    I'm Elite
    Religion
    Jesus isn't
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If you are bumbling around by yourself you may never become great in the sense of the world but you could be considered great by your family and the people around you. Everyone's trying to be a hero these days...

Senior Member Eccardus Teutonicus's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 11:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Austro-British
    Ancestry
    Lothian, Cork, Donegal, Austria
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Scholar
    Politics
    Elitism
    Religion
    Medieval Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
    Is there no honor in self-sufficiency?

Must I gain my honor by suckling at the tit of other, greater, men?

Only can you sacrifice yourself to those who are great after you have already become great yourself.
    No, but if you are inferior, accept it and seek your place below greater fighters and greater warriors. If you can attain greatness, then indeed grasp at the cloak of fate as she passes.

There is a place even for the masses, who need not be free, beneath the sway of great men who have the ability to gain glory. Those who are among the masses who follow great men are more honourable than those who seek "independence" at the expense of society. Individualism is anti-social; freedom is overrated. Greatness is for the few. The ability to accept these things is part of social maturity, part of finding wisdom and ultimately the only way to know what one's place is in the natural order.
    οὐκ ἐμοῦ, ἀλλὰ τοῦ λόγου ἀκούσαντας ὁμολογεῖν σοφόν ἐστιν ἓν πάντα εἶναί.
    Heraclitus

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drim View Post
    Most great man were seen as mediocre persons by others then you need to proof you arent, what do you think that you can walk up and say look how great i am?
    "I don’t like him." - "Why?" - "I am not equal to him." - Has any human being answered that way? (F. Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil)

In general, one should make a clear distinction here, there a followers and menials, and the difference is: "A menial doesn't know about the goals of his master" (Meister Eckehardt).
    That said, a follower has always honor, and is a free man, who choose to subject himself to greater men.
    And for the menial, well, .. "Many a one hath cast away his final worth when he hath cast away his servitude." (Nietzsche, Thus spoke Zarathustra)
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Keeps your Whites Whiter.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    SkandoNordid/Nordicised Faelid
    Pan-Germanic MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    "I don’t like him." - "Why?" - "I am not equal to him." - Has any human being answered that way? (F. Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil)

In general, one should make a clear distinction here, there a followers and menials, and the difference is: "A menial doesn't know about the goals of his master" (Meister Eckehardt).
    That said, a follower has always honor, and is a free man, who choose to subject himself to greater men.
    And for the menial, well, .. "Many a one hath cast away his final worth when he hath cast away his servitude." (Nietzsche, Thus spoke Zarathustra)

"It is the characteristic excellence of the strong man that he can bring momentous issues to the fore and make a decision about them. The weak are always forced to decide between alternatives they have not chosen themselves" (Dietrich Bonhoeffer).

Implication: One can be strong and still subject themself to the Will of another. And be no less Honourable.

...The problem with the other origin of the "good", of the good man, as the person of ressentiment has thought it out for himself, demands some conclusion. It is not surprising that the lambs should bear a grudge against the great birds of prey, but that is no reason for blaming the great birds of prey for taking the little lambs. And when the lambs say among themselves, "These birds of prey are evil, and he who least resembles a bird of prey, who is rather its opposite, a lamb, - should he not be good?" then there is nothing to carp within this ideal's establishment, though the birds of prey may regard it a little mockingly, and maybe say to themselves: "We bear no grudge against them, these good lambs, we even love them: nothing is tastier than a tender lamb..." (Nietzsche: The Geneaolgy of Morals).

Implication: The Great are the legislators of Great-ness; and, if for no other reason, to be followed as such.

The 'wanderer', the 'free' man, the mediocre can only insulate themself from culpability of their station - their lot in life - from inside the shadow cast by the Great.
    "...The moral man is a lower species than the immoral, a weaker species; indeed - he is a type in regard to morality, but not a type in himself; a copy...the measure of his value lies outside him. ... I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage; I do not account the evil and painful character of existence a reproach to it, but hope rather that it will one day be more evil and painful than hitherto..." (Nietzsche)

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, May 7th, 2011 @ 09:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Austrian-German
    Ancestry
    Viennese
    Country
    Austria Austria
    State
    Vienna Vienna
    Nationalist-libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The follower of a great man, for a very simple reason: great men don't achieve greatness alone. There is always someone "behind them", who helps them with their research and work. I would much prefer to bring my contribution to something meaningful than to simply cast shadow to the ground.

Keeps your Whites Whiter.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    SkandoNordid/Nordicised Faelid
    Pan-Germanic MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

þridda fæder

Quote Originally Posted by Sissi View Post
    The follower of a great man, for a very simple reason: great men don't achieve greatness alone. There is always someone "behind them", who helps them with their research and work.

Are there 'gradations' (Abstufungen) of greatness, then?

Is there "sort of" great, for example?

Where does the applicability of the term end?
    "...The moral man is a lower species than the immoral, a weaker species; indeed - he is a type in regard to morality, but not a type in himself; a copy...the measure of his value lies outside him. ... I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage; I do not account the evil and painful character of existence a reproach to it, but hope rather that it will one day be more evil and painful than hitherto..." (Nietzsche)

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 08:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrymheim View Post
    Which is better?

To be a mediocre free man or to be a loyal follower of a great man?

In other words does one gain more honour from supporting one with much honour or for bumbling along on your own, surviving but never becoming great?

I think from the way I've written that it is obvious which I believe!
    The question is really a bit of a theoretical one, because why would one want to be a mediocre free man if one could be a great free man?

It sounds all so easy, but chances are that if he is a mediocre man, that he may all be the loyal follower of a great man, but will he really climb the hierarchy so easily if he were not a great follower of a great man anyway?

Surely, there is much honour for the loyal follower, even if it usually comes at the price, that once the Alpha-Wolf dies, the Beta-Wolf has to leave the pack too.

I have stated before that humans are like wolves parted into three parts: There is the Alpha animal, the Beta animal, and the "commoner". The Alpha animal is a great free man, the Beta animal is his equally great loyal follower. The commoners are his mediocre loyal followers, and even if they declare themselves free men will always remain mediocre, as they lack both the leadership of the Alpha as well as the intelligence, cunningness and strategical raffinesse of the Beta. Yet, as the common soldier they can still gain more honour than as wandering vagabonds, so there is no clear shame in that either.

You usually see it everywhere, up to the structure of fora: Some will always climb to the executive places, other remain in Mod/SMod positions regardless of their devotion and commitment. One is the Alpha, the other is the Beta. There is room for both, and neither is shameful ... and often great Senior Mods will turn into mediocre Admins if given the chance: It needs different abilities.

I know that I would much rather be a King's Right Hand than a King or a Commoner, but then again I tend to be fairly good at advising. I wouldn't say I'd make a bad king, but would I make as good a king as a chief advisor? Only if I had the same loyal advisors that I had once been too, that complimented me as to where my weaknesses kicked in. It's a symbiosis. And thus I might find a friend who was better qualified for the position and cede my claims.

Even if you know that you wouldn't be a mediocre free man, will you be as great a free man as you could be a great advisor? Only if the question is a clear yes, or you know that you'd excel at both (and become a Platonic philosopher king if you will ) should you go for your option as a free man, as it requires different types of abilities.

Or to cut it all short - it is obviously more honourable to be the loyal follower of a great free man than to be a mediocre free man, Heß certainly has a better record than Nero or Caligula, for instance. ... but yet better, and maybe more honourable, is to be a great free man - if you have the abilities for it, otherwise you will just be a mediocre free man anyway.

The trouble with today's society is not for people declaring themselves leaders - it is for people not qualified, or unable of such responsibilities, to declared themselves leaders. It is rather an egotistical drive to profile yourself than to assess who might be best suited for the position and allow someone else to take it if they are more qualified. It's all become less collectivist and more Darwinist...

There is no shame in taking any position, as long as it is not the egotistical choice for mediocrity.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Saturday, February 18th, 2017 @ 11:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    I'm Elite
    Religion
    Jesus isn't
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think you can be great in different ways, I guess depending on how large the scale of people that know of your greatness and how long it will be remembered. However I disagree with achieving greatness from being a follower, then you are simply piggy backing of someone elses ideas and successes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast