Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What Does it Mean to be American?

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Post Re: What Does it Mean to be American?

Quote Originally Posted by nemo
    You don't offend me, I might be a hot head, but not all the time, thank God
    Ah, someone of near equal, if not equal smart @ssness and sarcasm. Oh, and for future reference, it's GLAD not GLADE.

See?
    http://www.glade.com
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, March 17th, 2007 @ 12:54 AM
    Subrace
    nord/med maybe not sure
    Country
    WHITE Nationalism
    Religion
    catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

=Krampus]nemo

quote:
    Irish and Germans aren't Southern Europeans. Also, from the sounds of it you are speaking of physical labour, not the architecture and engineering work. When you say "Anglo" do mean people of English and British ancestry? Are you distinguishing between Ulster Scots, English and Welsh or are you lumping them all together as "Anglo"?

To answer your question! I know Germans and Irish are not SE, but I included them because I could not say just Italians, I give credit where credit is due.
    when I say anglo I mean wasp and some from the british Isle, but of course I don't mean all of them, their are decent ones I have met and many were personal friends of mine.

quote:
    I notice you completely gloss over the contributions many Dutch had made to building up the East Coast. Actually the first Mayor of New York a person of Dutch ancestry Robert Van Wyck initialized the contract for the first subway system to be built in NYC.

The dutch were the first settlers of new York and we have many streets named after dutchmen, besides I have never had any bad experiences from the dutch I have met here and I am very much aware of the great contributions the dutch did here in NYC, it was taught in the schools here.

quote:
    Most of the big money and old money in this country is held by people with Anglo-Saxon or Anglo-Norman surnames, next to Jews they are obviously the most wealthy and influential.

I agree! but remember they got here first, and got a big head start on the rest of the immigrants who came.
    As far as the jew well I live with over a million of them here, and they are tribal and connives, they are a legal crime organazation

quote:
    I for one hope you can finally resolve your hatred for people of English and British ancestry, it doesn't seem to be having much effect on them. They are still successful as ever.

I don't hate all people of English and British ancestry, just the arrogant ones, infact I like the British people who live in England and was always fascinated with that country, but the people of England and the American anglo are really to different species.

Also I am not interested in having an effect on them, but they should learn by now to get rid of their hate because other Euro/Americans are not anglo saxon

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, March 17th, 2007 @ 12:54 AM
    Subrace
    nord/med maybe not sure
    Country
    WHITE Nationalism
    Religion
    catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elistariel
    Ah, someone of near equal, if not equal smart @ssness and sarcasm. Oh, and for future reference, it's GLAD not GLADE.
    You really know how to hurt a guy don't you?

Last Online
    Friday, April 1st, 2005 @ 09:39 AM
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Posthuman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I'm with Krampus. The Anglos kicked butt and cleared the way for everyone else to come here to the USA. I'm sick and tired of ethnics whining about "Anglo" oppressors - as if Italians and other groups didn't practice intraethnic favoritism. The fact is that the Anglo-Saxons, despite some misgivings, opened their doors to immigration from poor parts of Europe (Ireland during the potato famine, S Italy, Russia, Germany at times, etc) - and their generosity (when honestly compared with any other nation/culture at the time) has since been repaid with nothing but scorn. That is despicable.

Yet on second thought I see another side of this: the Anglos open their doors for cheap labor, like they are doing now with illegal immigrants from S America. This tendency sucks, and someone has to come up with a viable solution to it.

Plato was right when he said that the best way to have a harmonious society is to have a homogenous society. But that's not the reality in the West (nor was it in Sparta or many other places), so we have to find a viable strategy.
    Last edited by Scoob; Wednesday, May 5th, 2004 at 02:38 AM.
    "Whatever is done from love always occurs beyond good and evil." - F. Nietzsche

Last Online
    Thursday, June 16th, 2011 @ 10:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

'Anglo' properly might mean of Anglo-Saxon descent, but in America it primarily means a 'White', one who has assimilated to mainstream American culture, and speaks English. Anglos in America include the core 'Old Americans', as well as Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, Dutch, German, Scandinavians, French, Swiss, and other Europeans that intermarried and assimilated. So, 'Anglo' in American terms is the same as 'White' in popular terminology here ... though not the same as Governmental 'White'.

Again, this is not a point of arrogance but a point of reality: I can recognize America as an Anglo institution (they didnt 'come earlier', as there was nothing to 'come to' ... they founded and colonised.) I say this as someone of over half Irish descent, a good eighth German blood.. and the rest 'British' (English, Scots, Welsh), and a rare French or Scandinavian ancestor. Arrogance is claiming a minority to be the font of all that is good (though I'll admit to the good pizza at least .)

Anglos carved out territory, conquered, meted out the land, built roads, cleared space for farms and cities. They founded the villages, the government, the institutions of society. The brought their laws, their ways of life, warfare, etc. Their religions are still predominant here as well. It is a simple fact. As an American businessman of Irish-Cherokee descent told me this past week: "History is written by the winners. However, in America for the past several decades... its been written by the losers. That is political correctness and multi-culturalism."

Last Online
    Thursday, June 16th, 2011 @ 10:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Oklahoma Oklahoma
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Nemo wrote: "You should get over those halucinations you keep having about the Anglos who built this country because you don't know what your talking about, all the skyscrapers, bridges and subway ststems in the east coast were built by Italians, Germans and Irish Immigrants, it is well documented and is written in many books by bonofide writers, and documentrys about this are shown on tv many times."

Yes, TV tells us all we need to know Actually, Mohawk Indians are responsible for the Skyscrapers. Germans and Irish are far more 'Anglo' than the typical Italian-American as well.

"Without the Southern Europeans this country would have been underdevloped for a long time."

Sorry, we got here without you South of the Border is the land of 'Southern European development.'

"Remember your people helped also to destroy this country by bringing the blacks here to pick your cotton and then race mixed with them, you were racist in the day and race mixers at night, all the big citys were built by non anglos, and in the big citys in this country where their are not that many anglos, these big citys are the most prosperous then in the rest of the country."

Ghettos are not prosperous. Truth being all told, the most prosperous people in the NE are the 'Mayflower descendants'. We're talking Old Money, Wall Street types. The South is only second to them, and then we are talking mostly rural millionaires ... not all from petrochemicals. As for 'race mixing', we know that to be a myth of race-baiters and anti-American instigators. Nothing 'mixed race' about American Whites.

"Everybody in the world knows where NYC and chicago etc are, but how many ever heard of Georgia."

Plenty. In fact, I have yet to meet a European, Asian, or African who does not know where Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, Montana, Arizona, Washington, or elsewise is. That sort of gross ignorance I only expect from Inner-City Melting Pot Americans, who consider everything outside of NYC and LA as 'fly-over country'.

"Why don't you stop bringing 65 yr old data which has no credibility today, and the authors of this dribble had their own agenda, and they were nothing but ignorant anglos who have the same mind set as yourself."

I'm surprised that you can categorize my mind set at all: you'd be the first, though I can assume from your comparisons that you have misread me, or are attempting to smear me from spite. As for "old data", not everything old is wrong. Part of the academic process is reevaluation of what has gone before. Credibility and validity is established by testing hypotheses. I very much doubt that there is 'nothing of worth' in the work of the 20th c. Harvard Anthropologists... I have issues with all of their work, but have yet to see any that I throw away it all entire.

"The only thing you anglos brought to America was hate, and most of you were illiterate, about 20% of you had brains, the rest were just narrow minded goof balls."

Yes, I'm told this often by folks like Farrakhan, Al Sharpton, Abe Foxman, Morris Dees, and the rest. However, considering that everything from the system of government, the military, agriculture, much of the industry, and the mercantile industry has the stamp of my very blood-ancestors: I have to consider your statement as hyperbole. That, or you do not consider myself to be an Anglo.

"To answer your question! I know Germans and Irish are not SE, but I included them because I could not say just Italians, I give credit where credit is due.
    when I say anglo I mean wasp and some from the british Isle, but of course I don't mean all of them, their are decent ones I have met and many were personal friends of mine."

Lets see this credit where credit is due. I have hope for you yet

"I agree! but remember they got here first, and got a big head start on the rest of the immigrants who came."

Again, not a 'head start', but rather the foundation, structure, and core of our civilization. Immigration has not displaced, replaced, or muddled the contribution of the 'Old Americans', 'Anglos', 'Whites' regardless of their British, Irish, German, Scandinavian, or French origins.

"I don't hate all people of English and British ancestry, just the arrogant ones, infact I like the British people who live in England and was always fascinated with that country, but the people of England and the American anglo are really to different species."

I'll have to consider that some might not have a firm grasp of introspection as myself. However, I will point out: England and America are of the same 'species'. In America we seem to have gained more of certain local types from Britain (East Anglians in New England, SW English and Cornish to the Tidewater South, North British/Lowland Scots to the Appalachians and Inner South, Highland Scots to North Carolina, Midland folk and Welsh to the Mid-Atlantic states, etc.) But 'different species' I would argue against, as the groups we have 'mixed with' are the same groups from which the British share origins with: Celts, Germans, Scandinavians, Gauls, etc.

"Also I am not interested in having an effect on them, but they should learn by now to get rid of their hate because other Euro/Americans are not anglo saxon"

The problem is the assumption of 'hate' on my part, or of any Anglo. It may be PC, but it is not real. Dislike mostly comes from experience with certain folk who fly off the handle, and demand to be treated as equals: but wont 'join the group' permanently. Also, and again: Anglo does not equal 'Anglo-Saxon'. The Anglos that came to this country were a mix of all the peoples who had settled in the British Isles previous to the 18th c. (the original settlement lasting from the late 1500s - early 1600s, til right before the Revolutionary War.) Scots are 'Anglos' in American terminology, so are Northern Irish ... even if they are of Gaelic ancestry (which begs the old joke, why so many American WASP's call themselves 'Scotch-Irish', and have entirely Irish Gaelic names like Murphy and O'Riley.)

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, July 31st, 2020 @ 02:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I believe the most important American traits are freedom and independence, the values our founding fathers vuilt this nation on.

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456