Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    When I first registered at Skadi nearly 3-years ago it was a certain European member who was consistly calling Americans mixed & was obsessed over miscegenation in Americans & over the whole "Germanic" concept of this forum. Some of this "I'm purer then thou" rhetoric is residual from his poison.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Æmeric For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Some non-Germanic European folks seem to think that simply for the fact that they're European, they're superior. They constantly put down Americans and shout slurs at em, why heck knows, probly to feel better about themselves. Then they come accusing us that we're the ones who equate ethnicity to superiority and sow hatred.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gefjon For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    4 Weeks Ago @ 07:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Some non-Germanic European folks seem to think that simply for the fact that they're European, they're superior. They constantly put down Americans and shout slurs at em, why heck knows, probly to feel better about themselves. Then they come accusing us that we're the ones who equate ethnicity to superiority and sow hatred.
    The thread's topic is "The Ethnic and Genetic Heritage of Germanics in Europe and America", with this you'll be making it into another one of those tiresome flamefests of Americans vs. Europeans and vice versa.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrioten For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Historic peoples should not be declared the same as colonial populations who by their nature are a recent recombination of previous populations. I don't criticize their genetic pedigree or their demographic composition, but it seems wrong when both are simply equated. There are differences that have to be respected, a concluded ethnogenesis for one.

At this point, it is not even certain if 'American' will come to be a label for Germanics, 'Whites' or simply everyone living on American soil. You won't find many Turks and Negroes or any kind of foreigner in Germany willing to call themselves German, not even with a qualifier.

Last Online
    Monday, June 7th, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Instead of speculating back and forth, let's look at facts.

1. The Genetic map of Europe shows that the different Germanic populations are separate.
    2. Most Euro-Americans have very recent ancestors from at least two or three European nations, nations they list when asked about their ethnicity/decent.
    = Euro-Americans are more mixed than European Germanics.

What to think of this is up to each of us.

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ÆinvargR View Post
    2. Most Euro-Americans have very recent ancestors from at least two or three European nations, nations they list when asked about their ethnicity/decent.
    Most Europeans tend to identify as being part of only one ethnicity (the ethnicity of the country they're born/live in), despite having ancestors from more. Americans are very concerned with their research for genealogy, so they list all the ethnicities they can find in their family tree. Europeans don't do this. I know folks from Germany who have Slavic grandparents but only count themselves as German. I know folks from the Netherlands with French grandparents who only count themselves as Dutch.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gefjon For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Most Europeans tend to identify as being part of only one ethnicity (the ethnicity of the country they're born/live in), despite having ancestors from more.
    Have a look at his first point.
    As a whole, this seems to be not the case.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really don't understand why so much attention is given to this. Just today I drove 40 minutes out to get some Swedish style herring and mustard from the scandinavian part of the city. A norwegian flag was waving outside the doorway. When I got there the cashier and the current customers were talking in Norwegian. The products on the shelf were the same ones, albeit limited and a bit overpriced, as the ones in Scandinavia. Just down the road is the Nordic Heritage Museum where families educate their children about their ancestry and heritage. Now granted we are in America but people, at least in parts of America, are still very proud of their European roots.

I know I am very vocal about my negative views on the big 50. To me America is the new babylon or Rome but just like Rome, our own kinsmen end up on the opposite side of the boarder at times. Would you ridicule the Gothic tribes 1500 years ago for moving to Rome due to invasions? They had their reasons just like the poor fishers and farmers who came here long ago to make a name for themselves.

Is America Germanic? No. Are Americans Germanic? A good many of them are.

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 @ 06:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinised Bruenn altered by Med.
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
    Since it was overwhelmingly the brave and the strong, the explorers and the visionaries, the intelligent and the freedom-loving who dared to step into a New World seizing the chance to a better life, not minding the hardship of creating a new civilization from the raw materials Mother Earth had to offer, the gene pool of Americans is composed of some of the best elements the Germanic nations in Europe had to give.
    With all intended respect I find at least this portion of your post to be both misleading and false.

A great many of the immigrants to America were facing religious persecution. Already in the early stages of America you had a disproportionate number of these religious refugees. Thus it's safe to assume that they would not have the same views as those people who lived in Europe at the time.

Because of early immigration to America many radical elements were present from an early stage such as anti-monarchist Revolutionaries.

America might have been colonised by people of Germanic stock, but the values and beliefs of these people were not proportionately represented.
    Last edited by Maelstrom; Sunday, September 7th, 2008 at 05:37 AM. Reason: typo + extra clarification

Last Online
    Sunday, September 21st, 2008 @ 08:33 PM
    Subrace
    Brünn-Nordic w/ Borreby & Baltid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian-Conservative
    Religion
    Anglo-Saxon Heathenism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most Europeans tend to identify as being part of only one ethnicity (the ethnicity of the country they're born/live in), despite having ancestors from more. Americans are very concerned with their research for genealogy, so they list all the ethnicities they can find in their family tree. Europeans don't do this. I know folks from Germany who have Slavic grandparents but only count themselves as German. I know folks from the Netherlands with French grandparents who only count themselves as Dutch.
    But that's a good thing about the Americans. Those Germans with Slavic grandparents can't be called pure German, neither can the Dutch be called pure Dutch. They're identifying themselves nationally, i.e what one's passport says, not ethnically.

To move on, geographical location shouldn't make a difference. Hell, the Anglo-Saxons weren't from the Isle of Britain, the Franks weren't from France, and the concept of Germany as a nation didn't exist until the 19th century. What matters is heritage.
    "the savage who loves himself, his wife and child with quiet joy and glows with limited activity of his tribe as for his own life is ...a more real being than that cultivated shadow who is enraptured with the shadow of the whole species" - Herder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast