Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theTasmanian View Post
    Am i right to assume looking through this thread that there is little to no DNA information for Baltic populations(with the exception of Finland) west(of particular interest) and east
    Theres doesn't appear to be any information for Latvia or Lithuania. Estonia is represented by "LV" in the map in post #46 of this thread and appears to be even more of an "outlier" region than Finland.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, July 25th, 2011 @ 05:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Franco-American
    Ancestry
    Frankish, Langobard, Scots, Norman, Goth, Bretagne, Bavarian, English.
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Happily married
    Politics
    Meritocracy
    Religion
    Unusual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by georgepohl View Post
    As DNA-based ancestral researching gets more advanced, I hope that genetic profiles will be able to zero in on specific subsets of the original Germanic peoples. For instance, will a genetic profile ever be able to differentiate between Frankish and Saxon ancestral genes? During the Germanic migrations into northern Europe, it appears that the Saxons arrived before the Franks. However, the Franks eventually became dominant; first under the Merovingians, then followed by the Karlovingians,
    The Franks enter recorded history around the year 50, with an invasion across the Rhine into the Roman Empire. They are first mentioned in the Tabula Peutingeriana. Modern scholars for that period identify groups, including the Batavians, who inhabited the lower Rhine valley between the Zuyder Zee and the river Wesel. The Frankish confederation probably began to coalesce in the 230s. The Salian Franks invaded the Roman Empire and were accepted as Foederati. By the end of the fifth century, the Salian Franks extended their footprint on Roman soil to a territory including the Netherlands, Belgium and Northern Gaul. There they encountered other peoples of Frankish ethnicity. Franks appear in Roman texts as both allies and enemies at different times. In the 5th century, numerous small Frankish kingdoms existed, among them the one in what is now Cologne. They gave rise to the Merovingian dynasty in the 5th century. Clovis was the greatest Merovingian king. By the 490s, Clovis had conquered all the Frankish kingdoms to the west of the River Maas, leaving only the Ripuarian Franks' Merovingian kingdom (481–751)
    The Karlovingian dynasty supplanted the Merovingians. Their zenith came with the reign of Charlemagne. He was truly the Emperor of the West. His army crushed the Saxons under Wittekind.
    As an amateur genealogist, I have been trying for years to prove a descent from Charlemagne. Perhaps future enhancements to genetic technology will allow a living person to prove a lineage to a personage who lived 1,200 years ago.
    Georg
    If you were a totally male line descendant from Charlemagne, I do believe it might be possible. If, like me, your ancestry contains female ancestors from Charlemagne (mine are all male until after Edward I, at which point I do trust the historical record - but no Y chromosome analysis is going to connect my great (x) grandmother to Charlemagne and no mtDNA analysis, either - then you have to rely on documents (unless the planet gets a real spurt of money to do far more complex and cheap DNA testing than what is widely available for ancestral research at present).

But if you can prove (with paper) ancestry back to (say) William the Conqueror or Edward I, then you're good (and seriously, I think those nobles were watched closely and even their bastard children were carefully recorded).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456