Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    According to the historical accounts of Budapest that I have read, the waves of German migrants came from southern/western Germany (I think Franconia was at least one, can't remember exactly)
    Ah yes, silly me, how on Earth did that slip my mind, what with us having plenty of quality members who trace their origins from these movements! :p There were less voluntary infusions of Germanic into the Uralic midst of Arpad's followers, but this was much earlier, and probably of the sort of Germanic who would have occupied a position on this chart closer to that of the Slavonicised Bohemian populations.

Last Online
    Monday, August 25th, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
    Platonic love
    Religion
    Transhumanism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, it was a bit of a bummer but here's some old data from a Cavalli-Sforza study for comparison:

Attachment 4652

I don't have the book of the original study, so for the time being there won't be any light shed on sample size or statistical methods.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Chrom-Mangan
    Country
    Other Other
    non-religious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hm, no overlap between Germans and Poles in this genetic map either. Should all those loud-mouthed Pan-Slavicists I encountered on these boards over the years have been wrong? :
    Tolerance is a proof of distrust in one's own ideals. Friedrich Nietzsche

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 01:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyklop View Post
    Hm, no overlap between Germans and Poles in this genetic map either. Should all those loud-mouthed Pan-Slavicists I encountered on these boards over the years have been wrong? :
    There is a little bit of overlap with the Poles for the DE1 north German section. There is also a bigger overlap with the Czech 'blob', which is unsurprising, as the Polab Slavs took there very name from the river Laba, or Elbe, and colonisation seems to have spread from the south east rather than east.

It is difficult however, to separate ancient links from more recent German infiltration of the Polish and Czech genepools, I will give you that. I won't accept this diagram as the Final Word on the topic, mind!

Last Online
    Saturday, October 17th, 2009 @ 02:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish, German, English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Anarcho-Capitalism
    Religion
    Autotheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would like to have seen both Iceland and Russia included in this chart. Interesting nevertheless.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It also would have been a little interesting to see Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland seperated, but then again the more there are the more confusing it may be to read.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SlíNanGael View Post
    I would like to have seen both Iceland and Russia included in this chart. Interesting nevertheless.
    Russia being such a huge country, I don't think there would be much to learn from any genetic analysis unless it was sub-divided into several sections, alone east-west and north-south lines.

Regarding Iceland, it would probably fall between Ireland and Western Scotland, and Norway, being closest to Norway.

Iceland was founded by Norwegian Vikings and by Viking refugees from the colonies of Dublin, the Isle of Man and Scotland, and they brought a lot of "Celtic" slaves, mostly women with them too. There were also a number Celtic "allies" as well, as is shown by the presence of a few Gaelic surnames in the Icelandic book of settlement. Overall Iceland has been estimated as being anywhere from 14-40 percent "Celtic", by various studies.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 08:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It is fascinating to see that Austria and Hungary, and Austria and Czech Republic/Slovakia barely coalesce with each other, yet both Hungary and Cz/Slovakia overlap hugely with the two German groupings.

This map means much more to me than the map of national borders, and further diagrams extrapolated from such data could be used to propose future bioregional borders.

I would like to see a picture of the UK broken down in such a way (minus the interlopers). I think that a pattern would emerge following lines similar the old counties, highlighting differences between Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria, for example. My mother claims to be able to determine who is who, and even guess what religious denomination they might follow just from looking...

Really the data should be worked back the other way, and genetic data used to propose new bioregional borders with respect to resources available. What a wonderful gift to posterity and to democracy this would be.

I rumble on about social housing being allocated with preference given to local-indigenous phenotype from time to time. Some people do not seem to like that here, but I think that genetics should come before nebulous (and weasily exploited...) cultural and folkish concerns, which have arisen naturally from genetic distinctions between different populations.

The era when a man's identity (colours) were given to him by his feudal lord is over; the difference between the red and white rose means a lot less without these distinctions.

Actually, I would be surprised if the EU has used this sort of data to draw their regional borders to deliberately f*** with genetic population boundaries.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 3rd, 2019 @ 05:05 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Western Australia Western Australia
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Italian groups were both from Marche (north-central Italy), and the Greek group was from northern Greece. Other studies have shown significant overlap between Greek-Americans (descended from both northern and southern Greeks) and Italian-Americans (largely of southern Italian descent).
    Everyone knows that southern Italy was colonized by Greeks (Magna Graecia); less well known is that the colonists were largely from southern Greece (Euboea and the Peloponnese). Greek-speakers continued to migrate into southern Italy, particularly Sicily and Calabria, during the period of East Roman rule (especially during the Slavic invasions of Greece), and Greek dialect has persisted to this day in some villages of Calabria and Apulia.

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 04:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast