I contributed this post to a discussion elsewhere on the Internet and was quite pleased with the way I worded it. Whilst it might be stating the obvious to some, I think it states it in a somewhat new way and thought it might be a good starting point for the discussion of the inherent flaws in immigration:

When someone receives, someone gives.

Each nation in the world is the culmination of centuries of effort on behalf of its citizens. That effort becomes the nation's wealth - the prosperity of that nation that its citizens are entitled to because of the blood and sweat of their forefathers. Naturally, that wealth is going to become the envy of foreign nations who have failed to build as much prosperity.

So tell me, what happens when a goldmine is discovered? People swarm to it and mine it, but is its wealth renewable or does it run dry? When people take, someone (or something) has to give. Identically, when people swarm to a prosperous country, they can only be doing so to take the opportunities available there. Their ancestors have not built the wealth that lies there and yet somehow they feel entitled to take from a non-renewable 'goldmine' of opportunity.

Our goldmines are beginning to run dry. Britain is not 'Great' Britain anymore and whilst everyone's scared to suggest so, this is because it's wealth has been shared with far too many people who are not entitled to it. Why should a country share with everyone? If your grandfather builds a great dining table, should you set a place for every stranger who wishes to eat upon it?