Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    By enviroment do you include climate? Don't know how I could have overlooked that one. The southern most part of Canada is wedged in between Michigan & New York with much of the country covered with tundra. Much of Australia is in the tropical latitudes. The climate would account for major differences in lifestyle & attitude between Canada & Australia.
    Oh goodness Æmeric! Have you not consulted a top map of my country lately? Tundra??? Uhmmm, we have the Rockies (yes we do share the same chain), our own Prairies (yes same plains as your Mid-West), the Great Canadian Shield (beautiful rock and forest) similar to what you'd find in New England, an amazing moraine in south western Ontario, several gorgeous escarpments (Niagara Falls and Montmorency Falls being two of them that I can think of offhand...oh and Capsilano, too), we have the amazing maritimes, again similar to your own New England coast and the Appalachians run clear up this way too!

We grow peaches in southern Ontario and grapes to make our world-famous ice wine; we grow wheat and canola in our prairies; we grow trees in abundance, something your lumber industry would miss incredibly I dare say! Alberta beef is some of the best beef in the world. We grow all manner of produce in our Okanagan Valley and other parts of BC, our Niagara Peninsula and other parts of Ontario, in Quebec, in the Maritimes. Our Maple Syrup is actually second to none. Yes indeed...all of this from tundra. By golly...better buy up some of this good tundra soon before word gets out that it is actually valuable land!

No offense Æmeric, but I think you need to travel Canada a bit more before you start telling people that we all live in igloos here too.

Frith...Aemma

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    I have been to Canada several times. And I can't help but notice that most Canadians are clustered along the US border - and I don't mean the Alaska border. Much of Canada just isn't hospitable from a climatic viewpoint.

The tundra (artic) area of Canada covers a greater area then the populated parts of the country along the border. The greater part of the country is taiga (boreal) which is not suitable to largescale human habitation.

This map showing population density shows that most of Canada is sparcely populated.

Last Online
    Monday, May 2nd, 2011 @ 02:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Franco-Norman/Anglo Canadian
    Ancestry
    Normandy; North-West England
    Subrace
    Borreby-DaloFaelid/AngloSaxon
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have been to Canada several times. And I can't help but notice that most Canadians are clustered along the US border - and I don't mean the Alaska border. Much of Canada just isn't hospitable from a climatic viewpoint.

The tundra (artic) area of Canada covers a greater area then the populated parts of the country along the border. The greater part of the country is taiga (boreal) which is not suitable to largescale human habitation.

This map showing population density shows that most of Canada is sparcely populated.

Nice maps and such but, be that as it may Æmeric, I took issue with your comment "with much of the country covered in tundra". This is what I refuted as false...and that comment still is false. I think a topographical map might have served us all a bit better but taking one of the maps you've provided, the climactic one, even the green part representing the 'boreal' aspect far outweighs the blue aspect representing the arctic. Boreal does not in this case equate to tundra.

And as for the term "taiga" being used, uh sorry but that term is not correct either in relation to the greater part of Canada's boreal region. Gee, even your own Michigan (as would be Northern Minnesota, Upstate New York, New Hampshire, and Maine) is considered to be part of this "taiga biome" (if you insist on keeping this nomenclature). Are you really telling me that Detroit Michigan, one of your largest urban centres is sparsely populated precisely because of this 'inhospitable' region? Nahh I didn't think that's what you were saying.

Yes our population patterns *seem to be* very different than yours. We do have a tendency to settle along the Canadian-US border because people go as the water flows generally...look at the St. Lawrence River Basin and our shared Great Lakes. Historically, my countryfolk have settled near water since it facilitated transportation from the earliest of times. This is common to all places/countries really once you examine settlement patterns carefully. Your settlement patterns show this as well, to wit, the beautiful Big Apple, the Windy City, Motortown itself...the list goes on.

Oh and please please please Æmeric, I surely hope you don't mean that you've been only to Toronto when you state "I have been to Canada many times." It would be like me saying I have been to the U.S. many times and what I really meant was that I've been to Watertown NY mainly for the cross-border shopping. Toronto hardly constitutes the entirety of 'Canada' for most Canadians, except in the eyes of a Torontonian of course!

So out of sheer friendly curiosity though I'm dying to know, what parts of my beautiful country have you visited?

Frith...Aemma (the unabashedly proud Canadian)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    Well, the UK does not have any more of a relationship with Canada (individiual people, cultural, governmental, sporting levels) than it does the USA.
    With respect, I do beg to differ OneEnglishNorman. Up until Canada repatriated its Constitution in 1982 via the Canada Act which was an act of British Parliament no less that which made us a nation with Confederation of 1867 was a British Law called The British North America Act. That's right. We've only technically been *our own country* for the past 26 years! The apron strings were only cut a short while ago in reality. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're as young as I think you are (not a slam just an observation btw), this piece of Canadian and British history might not quite have registered with you. And in the end, why would it if this was 'before your time'? I wouldn't even expect such to be on anybody's radar to be quite honest.

Thus I do need to point out to you that Canada has far more in common with the UK than it does its cousin to the south, oftentimes. Did you know that we share the same head of state? Yes the Queen is ours as well though represented by the Governor General, Mme Michaele Jean. Did you know that Queen Elizabeth's face graces all of our currency? Did you know that "God Save the Queen" is still a song that is played at the end of a Canadian television channel's broadcasting day (though one is really hard-pressed to see this these days due to the deluge of infomercials that pollute the airwaves at this time of day)? Did you know that save for the Province of Quebec and the Territory of Nunavut, all of our provinces and territories have adopted the British parliamentary system as the political system in Canada? (FYI, Quebec has maintained a French legislative assembly tradition, while Nunavut operates on a consensual governmental basis). This is but a mere smattering... but make no mistake, there are still many things that tie us to the motherland.

But coming back to the original post...we're two different countries separated by time and space and then some. The foundings of our nations are entirely different as well. Is there a relationship between Canada and Australia? Well, Oswiu pretty much hit the nail on the head, 'a common parentage' (to some degree) but I would even add an element of a relationship something akin to "my mother's third cousin twice removed" type of thing.

It's interesting though how the Royal family has had an impact on how Canada and Australia are viewed, well speaking as a Canadian at any rate. Apparently Prince Charles has always had a soft spot for Australia while Prince Andrew has always had a soft spot for Canada. (Heck, Prince Andrew even spent his formative years here as a youth attending one of our prestigious boarding schools near Toronto!) I really wonder how different we would be perceived were affinities reversed. Might not make a hill of beans in the end....but it's always fun to speculate.

Frith...Aemma

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    And as for the term "taiga" being used, uh sorry but that term is not correct either in relation to the greater part of Canada's boreal region. Gee, even your own Michigan (as would be Northern Minnesota, Upstate New York, New Hampshire, and Maine) is considered to be part of this "taiga biome" (if you insist on keeping this nomenclature). Are you really telling me that Detroit Michigan, one of your largest urban centres is sparsely populated precisely because of this 'inhospitable' region? Nahh I didn't think that's what you were saying.

I don't think Detroit counts as part of the boreal zone.

Yes our population patterns *seem to be* very different than yours. We do have a tendency to settle along the Canadian-US border because people go as the water flows generally...look at the St. Lawrence River Basin and our shared Great Lakes. Historically, my countryfolk have settled near water since it facilitated transportation from the earliest of times. This is common to all places/countries really once you examine settlement patterns carefully. Your settlement patterns show this as well, to wit, the beautiful Big Apple, the Windy City, Motortown itself...the list goes on.
    I guess that explains the large metropolises clustered around Hudson Bay.

Oh and please please please Æmeric, I surely hope you don't mean that you've been only to Toronto when you state "I have been to Canada many times." It would be like me saying I have been to the U.S. many times and what I really meant was that I've been to Watertown NY mainly for the cross-border shopping. Toronto hardly constitutes the entirety of 'Canada' for most Canadians, except in the eyes of a Torontonian of course!
    About 40% of all Canadians are concentrated in that part of southern Ontario that juts down between Michigan & New York. So southern Ontario, which is dominated by Toronto, may not constitute the entirety of Canada but it does contain nearly 1/2 of all Canadians.

So out of sheer friendly curiosity though I'm dying to know, what parts of my beautiful country have you visited?

Frith...Aemma (the unabashedly proud Canadian)

Besides Toronto I've been to British Columbia & Alberta. And all of Ontario from Ottawa to Windsor to Niagara.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't think Detroit counts as part of the boreal zone.
    Well it depends which sources you look up. Just a simple wikipedia search on the word 'taiga' brings you to that which I told you about parts of your own country being within this biome.

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric
    I guess that explains the large metropolises clustered around Hudson Bay.
    Touché my good man. Touché! But we also know that people tend to settle in groups and tend to follow the herd. Hudson's Bay isn't exactly an easy spot to get to either....the St. Lawrence River Basin is however. So goes the easier flow of water, so go the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric
    Besides Toronto I've been to British Columbia & Alberta. And all of Ontario from Ottawa to Windsor to Niagara.
    Ahh great! Well for the benefit of other fine folk here that may never have come to Canada, much less to the Province of Ontario, I would just add that the Ottawa-Windsor Corridor is but one small part of Ontario when you're looking at land mass. Ontario is huge. Canada is huge. Most people don't ever have a good fix as to just how big of a land mass Canada truly is.

Cheers Æmeric!

Frith...Aemma

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12