Ethno-Nationalism/Liberalism
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MindnightSun View Post
    I can understand Finnish quite well (and better than talk) and also talk if I keep my clauses short and simple. But that is with standard Finnish only. Dialects (especially eastern Finland's dialects)...those are very hard. I was last summer visiting in Imatra (watching road racing). Could't understand half of what Finns guys talked there (using karelian dialect) and as travelling back to home we stopped in Mikkeli...even less. Old woman in marketplace talked so quickly (Savo dialect) that I was forced change english with her (or hers daughter).
    The way I understand, Swedish generally has a pitch accent which native speakers notice if you don't master it when speaking. I said generally because in Finland and in regions where Finnish was historically spoken Swedish-speakers lack that accent.

I've also learned from Finnish people that they have troubles understanding Swedish from Sweden when they see a film or encounter Swedes in real life. They do all learn Swedish at school, but they often have troubles understanding the words due to the fast and in inarticulate manner Swedes speak.

Is this accurate?

Last Online
    Friday, October 26th, 2018 @ 05:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Ancestry
    Brabantian
    Country
    Dietsland Dietsland
    State
    Antwerp Antwerp
    Pisces
    Politics
    Ethno-Nationalism/Liberalism
    Religion
    Irreligious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglo-Briton View Post
    Historically they refused to, which is why it belongs to Finland despite being virtually entirely Swedish.
    True. Before the Winter War most of them wanted to belong to Sweden, I believe. However they noticed how Finland defended them and Sweden didn't (despite the few volunteers from Sweden; the country itself remained neutral) and this made them more loyal to Finland.

Interestingly, all Finns outside of ┼land joke about it because it' the only place in Finland where able-bodied men don't have to serve in the military. I don't know how that came to be.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, May 31st, 2019 @ 08:04 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Northern Sweden/Greece
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    State
    Upland Upland
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    The way I understand, Swedish generally has a pitch accent which native speakers notice if you don't master it when speaking. I said generally because in Finland and in regions where Finnish was historically spoken Swedish-speakers lack that accent.

I've also learned from Finnish people that they have troubles understanding Swedish from Sweden when they see a film or encounter Swedes in real life. They do all learn Swedish at school, but they often have troubles understanding the words due to the fast and in inarticulate manner Swedes speak.

Is this accurate?
    Its very hard to explain how the swedish accent is compared to finnish swedish accent.
    I wouldnt say swedish accent has any pitch accent, that would be norwegian.

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 9th, 2018 @ 12:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    South East England
    Subrace
    Keltic Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baorn View Post
    Because Dolph Lundgren is so feminine and Victoria Silvstedt is so masculine. Thank you very much.

Because every Swede looks like Dolph... It is just an obvious, obvious conclusion, that neolithic leptomorphs show low sexual dimorphism. Meanwhile, CMs show high sexual dimorphism, so I wonder what a country like Denmark is like in terms of being pussified.

Also, sexual dimorphism doesn't mean women look masculine!!!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post

Is this accurate?
    You mean native Finns (who have studied) swedish at school? For sure our dialect (Finnish Swedes swedish) is more clear/easy to them than standard swedish (your Rikssvenska). Still if you want make it bit easier to them, speak bit slower...it helps always no matter which language we are talking about. It is someway polite too.

I keep german ''painful''...as I always need to wait in the end clause (wait for verb) then try remember/undestand what she/he sayid before....and someway fix all together. But...yes...I'm not good in german anyway. More like bad...actually.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Engaged parent
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    Something interesting I read on Wiki, apparently the municipality with the highest proportion of Swedish speakers in the world is Larsmo/Finnish: 'Luoto', a municipality located in the Ostrobothnia region in Finland, with 93% as of 2017. Korsnńs, another municipality in the region has also held this title. Until 2014 Swedish was actually Larsmo's only official language, now is bilingual.

The Swedish People's Party of Finland hold 37.3% of the seats in the local parliament. What would you say about this party, does it represent well the interests of Finland Swedes? As far as I know their main aims are to protect language rights and cultural rights of Finland Swedes.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blod og Jord View Post
    Something interesting I read on Wiki, apparently the municipality with the highest proportion of Swedish speakers in the world is Larsmo/Finnish: 'Luoto', a municipality located in the Ostrobothnia region in Finland, with 93% as of 2017. Korsnńs, another municipality in the region has also held this title. Until 2014 Swedish was actually Larsmo's only official language, now is bilingual.

The Swedish People's Party of Finland hold 37.3% of the seats in the local parliament. What would you say about this party, does it represent well the interests of Finland Swedes? As far as I know their main aims are to protect language rights and cultural rights of Finland Swedes.

Ostrobothnia? That has been known already some time (''thank's'' to immigrants/refugees in Sweden).

Svenska Folk partiet? They have done great job to support and protect Swedish culture and Swedish language in Finland. We have even Swedish University (┼bo Academy) in Turku .
    BUT and big BUT...they are very EU positive, and they share more positive attitudes against refugees than 3 biggest Finnish political parties do.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    German Fraternity German Fraternity
    Ethnic nationalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Interesting. Have there any genetic tests been made and if so what did they reveal? Are they genetically closer to the Swedes or to the Finns? Are intermarriages between Finns and Finland-Swedes commonplace?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Subrace
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ═treksjˇ­ View Post
    Interesting. Have there any genetic tests been made and if so what did they reveal? Are they genetically closer to the Swedes or to the Finns? Are intermarriages between Finns and Finland-Swedes commonplace?
    Genetically they variates from quite close to Swedes (who lives in Stockholm area) to quite close to Western Finns. And everything between.

I would say they tend to marry another Finland Swede (or Swede like my mom did), but some yes ends up marry Finns too. Finding a partner among of Finland Swedes can sometimes be hard.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    I think Swedes and Finns make perfect couplings. Whoever says the same about Dutch and Belgians can't disagree. My sister gave birth to an Irish baby girl recently. Are British and Irish not a great combination either? It's hard for nature to not go this way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234