Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 40,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 300 topic forums and browse from over 700,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Law
Register FAQ Rules Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Law Discuss law & legal matters and their impact on society.

View Poll Results: Should females have the right to vote in political elections?
Yes 284 65.44%
I am not sure 27 6.22%
No 123 28.34%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Should Females Have the Right to Vote?

Old Monday, December 29th, 2008   #91
Deary
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Deary has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynhild View Post
For Deary, back in the days when society was more patriarchal, women were treated no better than cattle. I really think you shortchange yourself insofar as your self-worth is concerned. There's hope for you, though, as you get older.
Why do you assume this?
Deary is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Monday, December 29th, 2008   #92
Achtland

Ethnicity: English
Subrace: Nordid
State: Yorkshire
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Socio-Divinitive
Religion: Pagan
Achtland 's reputation has not travelled afar.

Of course women should be allowed to vote. However, there are certain people, especially 18 year olds, who don't understand enough about politics who have the rights to vote and they are also males.
Achtland is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Achtland For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #93
Anfang

Ethnicity: German
Ancestry: Niedersachsen , gijon
Subrace: Nordic amd Ibero-Celtic
State: New York
Family: not happy to be divorced
Politics: Community Volkisch
Religion: Old Religion - European
Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deary View Post
Why do you assume this?
assume? what do you mean asume???

What do you think "the rule of thumb" means?
The rule of thumb was in medieaval time and unwritten understanding in english Norman times that a man could beat his wife with a rod no thiker than his thumb without aprobium.

The excavated skeletons of ancient greek women married to free greek men (Athens) show malnutrition compared with the male *slaves* (pomerantz :"Goddesses whores and slaves"). the ligaments on the shoulders and elbows of women showed signs of having streched and torn , something indicative of having carried heavy things for long perriods of time, thoughout the years. males showed no such wear and tear.

In 13th Century an english ship averted sinking by tossing overboard not the cargo but the Women on Bord. this was duly reported by the captain i his report
"oh and by the way, because of the gale we threw the women overboard...:"

There is a litany of evidence available is undisputable that women have suffered historically under idiot males.
Für Deutschland zu sterben ist uns höchste Ehr!"
Anfang is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anfang For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #94
Jäger
Bloodhound
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ancestry: Atlantean
Jäger has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfang View Post
I hope that you do know that in Ancient germanic law if a man was challenged to adjudicate a dispute by combat by a peer, and he refused, then that man could be ordered to become the challengers slave, and lose his right to freedom or ever carry a weapon again, never mind "the vote"
What has this to do with women voting?

Quote:
No one should have any votes, female or male.
This depends on the people, a Frankling wouldn't even accept to be not part of the decision making, our current masses are fine with it though

Quote:
Patriarchy is what's ultimately killing the world as we know it.
Could you elaborate here?

Quote:
For Deary, back in the days when society was more patriarchal, women were treated no better than cattle.
Read more Shakespear
"Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)
Jäger is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #95
Deary
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Deary has disabled reputation

Anfang, there's no need for your lengthy explaination. I was responding to the part which I underlined.
Deary is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #96
Ulf
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Deitsch
Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.

Quote:
What do you think "the rule of thumb" means?
The rule of thumb was in medieaval time and unwritten understanding in english Norman times that a man could beat his wife with a rod no thiker than his thumb without aprobium.
No.

Quote:
..."Rule of thumb" doesn't refer to wife beating...
For more than 300 years "rule of thumb" has meant what most people think it means: any rough-and-ready method of estimating. It's believed to have originated with woodworkers, who made measurements with their thumbs. For more than 20 years, however, some feminists have maintained that rule of thumb has the darker meaning alluded to above. They say that the principle of regulated wife beating was elucidated in the famous legal commentaries of William Blackstone (1723-'80), the basis of much U.S. common law, and that it prevailed in state courts well into the 19th century.

However, in Blackstone, as Sommers notes, there's no mention of the rule of thumb. We do find the following discussion: "The husband also, by the old law, might give his wife moderate correction . . . in the same moderation that a man is allowed to correct his apprentices or children. . . . But with us, in the politer reign of Charles the Second [1660-'85], this power of correction began to be doubted; and a wife may now have security of the peace against her husband." In other words, once upon a time in olde England, a man could beat his wife. But don't try it now.

Wife beating has never been legal in the U.S. The Massachusetts Bay Colony prohibited it in 1655, religious groups campaigned against it, and vigilantes occasionally horsewhipped men accused of it. Most states had explicitly outlawed it by 1870.
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...g-wife-beating
Ulf is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ulf For This Useful Post:
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #97
Anfang

Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.Anfang is considered wise by the elders.

Quote:
However, in Blackstone, as Sommers notes, there's no mention of the rule of thumb. We do find the following discussion: "The husband also, by the old law, might give his wife moderate correction . . . in the same moderation that a man is allowed to correct his apprentices or children. . . . But with us, in the politer reign of Charles the Second [1660-'85], this power of correction began to be doubted; and a wife may now have security of the peace against her husband." In other words, once upon a time in olde England, a man could beat his wife. But don't try it now.
So we post that it was common to beat the wife and ok, but we have to count on the whims of a hierarchic patriarchal men's order to not abuse..
and you people thank the post. Amazing.

You guys are too much.

Read What it says above.

language and phrases change with time.

The Word Stupid used to mean "Wonderous"

And it could not have too meanings, of course not.

Down (Downwards) and goose Down

Hail ( as in hail Mary) Hail (as in hailstones)

left (as in the left hand) left (as in he left her house)
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #98
Ulf
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.Ulf is a deity.

I'd be happy to read any sources you provide.
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #99
Anfang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf View Post
I'd be happy to read any sources you provide.
I will look for sources, I do not you may not be right. I could have very well been hoodwinked into believing that the provenance of the Phraze was twofold and that in fact it is a concoction on the part of feminists.
I will look.

What is Bothersome is that in the above post I quote your post, which you posted in order to refute my statement in which it clearly states that there was an asumed male right to beat their wife, and you are not at all interested in this apalling reality. and then two people thank your posts because you have somehow "debunked my statement" when in fact the very text that You used proves that men had the "right" to beat their wives!!!

This discourse was at a place where Brynhild had rightfully brought brought up the spectre of nonaccountable abusive males making life for women Hell -*again*. I make a post, and then you "refute" one of 3 examples, ant this is somehow a victory for the patriarchist side , Where in fact your very post contains admission of former abuse. It boggles the mind that you can post proof of my point, and this is considered a victory .
Old Tuesday, December 30th, 2008   #100
Ulf
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

I was only concerned with the phrase "rule of thumb".

The rest of my post is what is it. I've jumped into this argument only to mention the correct usage of the phrase. I've no desire to argue the past legalities of wife-beating.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ulf For This Useful Post: