Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Internet, Security, & Privacy
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Internet, Security, & Privacy Forum dedicated to the computer and information sciences, networks, the Internet, cryptography, and data security.

Internet Tech Tip of the Day

Old Saturday, November 19th, 2016   #1
Siegmund
"Du bist das Bild, das ich in mir barg..."
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Germanic
Politics: Folkish
Siegmund has disabled reputation

Internet Tech Tip of the Day

This thread is dedicated to providing internet tech tips that might be useful to fellow members. With the ever increasing importance of the internet as the center of practically everything, it becomes ever more important to exercise appropriate care in our use of it.

One such tip that I've been wanting to share for a while concerns the ubiquitous but dangerous photo: now, more than ever, we're sharing photos of ourselves, our families and, practically, anything that comes our way. But how many of you are aware that when you share a photo, you're almost always sharing much, much more than just a picture?

I'm talking about the EXIF metadata that is attached by default to every photo you take. Among other things, these data include the precise time and location where your photo was taken as well as the unique ID number of the device used to take it.

This can be a very serious problem. For example:

Quote:
In December 2012, anti-virus programmer John McAfee was arrested in Guatemala while fleeing from alleged persecution in Belize, which shares a border. Vice magazine had published an exclusive interview on their website with McAfee "on the run" that included a photo of McAfee with a Vice reporter taken with a phone that had geotagged the image. The photo's metadata included GPS coordinates locating McAfee in Guatemala, and he was captured two days later.
A good practice, at least when uploading photos to the internet, would be to set all your devices to not add EXIF data to those photos by default, if possible. But beware! Even though I changed the appropriate setting on my phone, the pernicious data are still there. So, unfortunately, you need to check your photos to make sure no EXIF data have been attached - even if you followed the appropriate procedure for turning the option off.

You can easily check your photos for EXIF data, view any EXIF data that have been attached, strip the EXIF data from your photos, and then save your photos to EXIF-free files by using software readily available over the internet. The software I use is a freeware called Irfanview.

After opening a photo file in Irfanview, simply press Ctrl+S to start the process of removing EXIF data from the file. Next, uncheck "Keep original EXIF data (if JPG to JPG)" in the box of options that appears to the right. For good measure, I always uncheck the following three boxes as well: "Keep original IPTC data", "Keep original JPG-Comment", and Keep original XMP data". Then select your other options, including a new filename if desired, and click "Save". That's all there is to it.

Please feel free to ask questions in this thread, and I hope you will post your own internet tech tips here too as you discover them!
Old Sunday, November 20th, 2016   #2
Hersir
Hundhedensk
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Håløyg
Ancestry: Norway
Subrace: Nordid
Y-DNA: I2b1
mtDNA: J2a1a1b
State: Nordland
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Personality: INTP (The Architect)
Family: In a steady relationship
Politics: Galactic Lebensraum
Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.Hersir is a deity.

The photo-sharing site in my signature (http://sli.mg) removes EXIF Data automatically. I would very much recommend sli.mg over imgur (As that one has deleted "racist" images in the past).
Hersir is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hersir For This Useful Post:
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Ahnenerbe
Spirit of the Reich
Herþra
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Volksdeutscher
Subrace: Atlantid
Y-DNA: I-M170
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Personality: INTJ (The Mastermind)
Family: Polyamory
Politics: Negative Population Growth
Religion: Vedic / Armanist
Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.Ahnenerbe 's judgement is sought by kings.

Discord: Free Voice and Text Chat

Quote:
It’s time to ditch Skype and TeamSpeak.

All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.
Compare discord Features with Skype and TeamChat
Ahnenerbe is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahnenerbe For This Useful Post: