Skadi Forum

Welcome to Skadi Forum, the largest Germanic online community forum where you can join over 45,000 members from around the world discussing all things of concern to you. To gain full access to Skadi Forum you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 100 topic forums and browse from over 800,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other members from around the world.
  • Post your own images and documents or access from over 70,000 files.
  • Gain access to special insider forums not available to guests.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support. If you have questions about the permissible content, please read the Skadi Forum disclaimer and the Skadi Forum rules.

Go Back   Skadi Forum > > Sports, Leisure & Hobbies
Register FAQ Rules Donate Arcade Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports, Leisure & Hobbies Discussion of leisure, sports, travel, pastimes, play, rest, entertainment, amusement, diversion, fun, recreation, relaxation, hobbies, and the like.

A Good Spring Hunt

Old Monday, April 25th, 2011   #1
SpearBrave
Proffessional Hickerbilly
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: American of German decent
Ancestry: Germany/ Switzerland
Personality: ENFP (The Champion)
Family: alone
Politics: Self-Reliance
Religion: Asatru
SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

A Good Spring Hunt

Hello fellow skadites I thought I would share a very good spring hunt with you and a tale of a great adventure here in the Hoosier State.

It all started on a gloomy dark day filled with much lighting and thunder. After having a festive meal and and some good drink we decided to search for the most elusive prey that haunts this great forest in the hilly portion of the state.

All of the signs were aligned and it seem like the perfect weather. Warm rains have been in great abundance and everything seemed alive with all the signs of Spring we headed into the great wald( my backyard, literally ).

The first sign I came across was the ever present sign of spring in these parts the famous Jack-in-the Pulpit plant.

These only come up in the spring when the weather is just right for the prey I was pursuing ever deeper in the woods.

Next I noticed the brilliant white splashes of the Dogwood tree with their flowers in full show despite the heavy deluge of warm spring rain.

Not finding my ever elusive prey we continued to march deeper in the wet and dark wood crossing swollen streams that would make most city folk turn back.

Still we just could not find the living creature that we were searching for, although we did encounter another fierce beast that was a sure sign that we were getting closer to the purpose of our quest. This fierce beast that we encountered is none other than the Eastern Box Turtle.

After carefully avoiding the fearless turtle we came across another most beautiful and pleasing site a unknown and unmarked waterfall a nice place to rest after avoiding the fierce turtle. But still our prey eluded us and we decided to rest and regroup our plan for the hunt.

Finally we decided to head to higher ground and check the Pine groves, one of the lurking places for this rare and elusive species. Finally we spotted our prey and our hearts lept and we raced to capture in. First we examined the surroundings and made notes on how to approach this beast and to look for other of its kind nearby and not spook them away in the process. Then with great joy I grabbed a hold of the prey and wrestled it from its abode and quickly placed it into my hunting pouch. Then we discovered that there were more in the area and began arresting them quickly also. What is this rare and delicate prey that would drive us to these lengths you may ask it none other than the Yellow Morel mushroom.

Do you hunt mushrooms?

If not I hope you enjoyed the pictures and the read.

Sorry some of the picture are out of focus but it was raining very hard and water kept getting on my camera lens.

When all is said and done, more will be said then done- Billy Joe Merritt- King of Junk Yard Damascus 1952-2016

Last edited by SpearBrave : Monday, April 25th, 2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
SpearBrave is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 25th, 2011   #2
Æmeric

Ethnicity: Anglo-American
Ancestry: Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
Subrace: Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
State: Indiana
Family: Married
Politics: Anti-Obama
Religion: Conservative Protestantism
Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.Æmeric is a deity.

Oooooh... the great mushroom hunt! Never found one myself, I just assume the rabbits & deer have beaten me to them. But with all the rain this pass week there should be more then usual.

The only thing that rivaled the mushroom hunt is the ginseng hunt. I remember being dragged out into the dark hollows with my country cousins to hunt for ginseng, which at the time (1970s) was worth about $70 a pound, but it took several roots to add up to one pound & wild ginseng is hard to find. But wild ginseng has been declared an endangered species & is illegal to harvest, apparently even on private land.

Last edited by Æmeric : Monday, April 25th, 2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Wrong word. :doh!
Æmeric is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Æmeric For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 25th, 2011   #3
TXRog

Ethnicity: German/Irish
Ancestry: Germany/Ireland (Viking?)
Subrace: Nordid
State: Texas
Family: Single adult
Politics: Libertarian
Religion: Christian (non-denominational)
TXRog 's opinion is sought out by learned men.TXRog 's opinion is sought out by learned men.TXRog 's opinion is sought out by learned men.TXRog 's opinion is sought out by learned men.

A Good Spring Hunt

Beautiful photos, SpearBrave.

Thanks for sharing.
TXRog is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TXRog For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 25th, 2011   #4
Zimobog
Funding Member
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Ethnicity: Celtogermanic
Subrace: Don't know
State: Alaska
Family: Married with Children
Politics: I want my country back now
Religion: HFR Heathenry
Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.Zimobog is considered wise by the elders.

Dang, Spearbrave, for a minute there I thought that you were taking us on a snipe hunt!
Zimobog is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zimobog For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 25th, 2011   #5
SpearBrave
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.SpearBrave 's wisdom is sought by the gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
Whooooo... the great mushroom hunt! Never found one myself, I just assume the rabbits & deer have beaten me to them. But with all the rain this pass week there should be more then usual.
This is one of the best mushroom years on record, I know people have found them by the thousands because of all the rain we have had.

Quote:
The only thing that rivaled the mushroom hunt is the ginseng hunt. I remember being dragged out into the dark hollows with my country cousins to hunt for ginseng, which at the time (1970s) was worth about $70 a pound, but it took several roots to add up to one pound & wild ginseng is hard to find. But wild ginseng has been declared an endangered species & is illegal to harvest, apparently even on private land.
Well Ginseng is quite rare these days, but we still have a season to hunt it, just not on public land.

I love to hunt ginseng or 'sang' but the only collecting I have done in years is for the seeds to scatter them in hopes that more would grow.

What hurt the Ginseng is the drug heads that harvest it out of season and don't scatter the seeds. It takes years and years for Ginseng to grow and reproduce. It is a shame we don't have as much as we used to.The last time I checked wild Ginseng was over $400.00 a pound dried.

When all is said and done, more will be said then done- Billy Joe Merritt- King of Junk Yard Damascus 1952-2016
The Following User Says Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:
Old Monday, April 25th, 2011   #6
SpearBrave
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimobog View Post
Dang, Spearbrave, for a minute there I thought that you were taking us on a snipe hunt!
Shh you know it is not snipe season yet, but when it comes around I should take some of these kind folk on a traditional snipe hunt.

Old Friday, January 6th, 2012   #7
Northumbria
Aka kentynet

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: Mainly English, some Irish
Subrace: Nord-Atlantid
State: Northumberland
Politics: Right-wing
Northumbria is noble of speech.Northumbria is noble of speech.

Quote:
Not finding my ever elusive prey we continued to march deeper in the wet and dark wood crossing swollen streams that would make most city folk turn back.
Yeah, city folk are soft. I've lost count of the amount of streams I've jumped or forded. Many rivers too.

Quote:
Do you hunt mushrooms?
No, I don;t want to make any mistakes. Too many deadly ones in the UK.

That forest looks great, I used to play in places like that as a kid.
Northumbria is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
Old Friday, January 6th, 2012   #8
SpearBrave
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentynet View Post
Yeah, city folk are soft. I've lost count of the amount of streams I've jumped or forded. Many rivers too.
I guess you did not understand the whole cheekyness of the opening post.

Quote:
No, I don;t want to make any mistakes. Too many deadly ones in the UK.

That forest looks great, I used to play in places like that as a kid.
And you talk about city folk, well a real rural woodsman would know the difference by age 7 or so.

Old Friday, January 6th, 2012   #9
Northumbria
Aka kentynet

Ethnicity: English
Ancestry: Mainly English, some Irish
Subrace: Nord-Atlantid
State: Northumberland
Politics: Right-wing
Northumbria is noble of speech.Northumbria is noble of speech.

Quote:
I guess you did not understand the whole cheekyness of the opening post.
I did think the stream was small, but I do know of people who'd look for a bridge, I kid you not.

Quote:
And you talk about city folk, well a real rural woodsman would know the difference by age 7 or so.
I have an encyclopaedia of trees, animals and most plants (my brain) and know a few mushrooms. I just never bothered with them, too much risk if you get it wrong.
Northumbria is offline Quote this post in a PM   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northumbria For This Useful Post:
Old Friday, January 6th, 2012   #10
SpearBrave
„Friend of Germanics”
Skadi Funding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentynet View Post
I did think the stream was small, but I do know of people who'd look for a bridge, I kid you not.
This quote should have gave you clue I was trying to be funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearBrave
Still we just could not find the living creature that we were searching for, although we did encounter another fierce beast that was a sure sign that we were getting closer to the purpose of our quest. This fierce beast that we encountered is none other than the Eastern Box Turtle.
The Eastern Box Turtle is the most harmless creature in the woods.

Quote:
I have an encyclopaedia of trees, animals and most plants (my brain) and know a few mushrooms. I just never bothered with them, too much risk if you get it wrong.
Books! you say Books!, we only chew on the covers of those things around here, plus they make good tinder for starting fires.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post: